Why does Fedex CC not accept applicants from Florida?

nfougere

New Recruit
Driver
So after exhausting my attempts I cannot seem to find the answer to a question. Why do recruiters from Fedex CC tell me I live too far south in Florida to be accepted as a sprinter driver for them but if I have a straight truck or tractor then it's ok?
If I start driving for Fedex or any other company I don't expect to be back home for months or even longer since I have no family or children to oblige me to return.
Seems like a very silly policy!

Reactions: Kip life

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So after exhausting my attempts I cannot seem to find the answer to a question. Why do recruiters from Fedex CC tell me I live too far south in Florida to be accepted as a sprinter driver for them but if I have a straight truck or tractor then it's ok?
If I start driving for Fedex or any other company I don't expect to be back home for months or even longer since I have no family or children to oblige me to return.
Seems like a very silly policy!
Obviously not silly to FedEx.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The fastest way to "fix" the "problem" is to get a different mailing address / residence address through a relative or friend ...of course you'd have to update you driver license address as well.

It does seem unusual for such a restriction to be placed but I guess they are the ones with the jobs so they can make up the rules for better or worse....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The fastest way to "fix" the "problem" is to get a different mailing address / residence address through a relative or friend ...of course you'd have to update you driver license address as well.
IOW ..... Commit fraud.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
i could be wrong, but I think the problem is with the Sprinter, not with Florida. Florida is the excuse.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Consider this, FCC is a nationwide carrier picking up freight in every State. Much of the freight is of an expedited nature requiring ASAP pickup. Like many carriers, FCC leases independent contractors based upon historical and anticipated need in every geographical area. Therefore, it would make sense to have the appropriate number of leased vehicles in each geographical area. In expedite, drivers typically don't have dedicated routes and they travel from home to point A thence to B and C, etc., eventually returning back to home. A few drivers practically live in their vehicles and rarely go home but that is not necessarily the norm, particularly around family related holidays. If too many contractors are at home in Florida, the carrier may have to refuse ASAP pickups in driver sparse areas.

Reactions: JerryK

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
1. Theres not a lot of Freight moving out of south Florida, especially for a van. 2. The van market is saturated....more vans than are needed for freight demands. So they can be choosey about who they take on. 3. It's going to be a liability getting you close to home for home time and getting you back into freight lanes. Not a big deal but with point 2 in mind, they don't need the hassle.

Don't worry though, you can probably get on with panther, as long as you don't mind being 40th on a load board in certain areas.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That does seem like a rather odd rule unless someone planned on working local. I'm guessing they would not think twice about offering a load to Florida :rolleyes:
As long as the individual knew they would most likely need to dead head to another area or state to get rolling again, don't see why that should even be a issue.

Wonder how they feel about someone living in SD :D

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Let's put it this way. If you were the recruiting manager of a nationwide carrier with a fleet of, let's say, 100 cargo vans and you had van freight throughout the country, and you were genuinely concerned that each O/O had ample opportunity to earn decent money, and you were concerned that you were able to satisfy each of your customers that wanted one of your vans to haul their freight on their schedule, how many vans would you lease on out of Miami? Would the answer be 100 vans, 50 vans 10 vans or whatever? If you were concerned about the needs of your difficult to obtain customer and the financial success of your contractors, you would have a realistic plan for the geographic distribution of your fleet, for the best of times and for the worst of times.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Terri, all your “ifs” and “concerns” make sense.

I wonder why a Fedex recruiter probably turn him down.
LOL.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In all seriousness, everyone needs/wants to go home more than most realize.
Doctor/Dentist.
Do taxes. Home emergency.
Fedex probably has a history of people quitting earlier than usual if they live in an out of the way Area.
Heck, one of my biggest issues with Fedex was my inability to get home as needed.
And I lived near Chicago!!!

Reactions: QuestionSeven

nfougere

New Recruit
Driver
Thanks for all your inputs but I haven't been home this year in 8 months stretch and never had a situation that called for my immediate return. I'm single without children, plenty of doctors and dentists along my routes and I have my mail forwarded to various places in the past without concerns. I've been traveling away from home 6-8 months a year for 22 years so I'm use to it. If I drove a straight truck or van I wouldn't want to deliver to Florida due to the cheap freight getting out. If I said I don't need to be home then they should take my word for it. Plus if I wanted to be home I'd take a flight for wherever I was. It's a silly policy. Heck they don't even take drivers from Texas? What's wrong with Texas location? It's in the heart of sprinter freight!

Reactions: Solar