Who should pay for Qualcomm and Workman Comp?

TeamBud8

Seasoned Expediter
I spoke with an owner today,with a cargo van.He pays for the gas,and the maintenance.He wants me to pay for the qualcomm and my workman's comp every week.I don't think this is fair.I haven't signed anything,yet.I would like to know what ya'll think.Thanks!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Personally I think the person should pay for people expenses and the vehicle (owner) should pay for vehicle expenses so I'd say you pay work comp and he pays QC. He will argue you need the QC to get jobs but he needs it to get his van moving. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Like everything else in this biz, it's optional. Whatever you agree with is what it is. Like Leo above, I think the owner should pay all vehicle expenses, less fuel, and that includes the qualcomm. You shouldn't have to pay that, unless you want to.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
When I drove a van our agree ment was that I paid both Unless i ran over 1500 miles then he would pay the WC, and If I ran over 2000 miles, the QC was paid as well. From what I'm hearing, it may be hard to get that QC paid for anymore.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am with the others, personal items are paid by the driver, and any vehicle expenses are the truck owners responsibility.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Asilynot

Seasoned Expediter
Well personally I think all owners should be like me and pay all expences, My drivers pay for there food and entertainment costs on the road and nothing else. Also my drivers are employees to so they dont have to worry about 1099's at the end of the year either.

elton10

Expert Expediter
I agree with the others.. WC should be paid by you and QC by the owner.. Im lucky enough to be driving for an owner who pays both.
I drove(very briefly) for an owner who had drivers pay for pretty near everything: EZ pass, TripPak, WC--fortunately the outfit he was leased too hadnt graduated to Qualcomm(used cell phones) or we prob wouild have had to pay for THAT too!:7

G

I would have to agree with Davekc and Terry. The owner pays for the QC and all the things that go with owning the truck. The Driver's pay's there own WC if there getting a 1099 at the end of the year. We pay our driver's 20% each of the base charge's the only thing don't get paid 20% of is the fuel surcharge because we are paying the fuel, tolls, XM and all the extra's. Our driver's like that it that way because they don't have to worrie about the cost of fuel when it time for them to come home.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I drive for a fleet owner. I pay wc he pays qc and fuel. I never have and never will pay for fuel. In my mind that's a rip off. I started to go to work for someone before I went to work were I'm at. They said I had to pay for fuel and that's why i'm not there. She told me I would come out better with 60 percent and paying for fuel. I asked her was she telling me the person who got 60 percent and fuel sc and paid for fuel came out ahead. She said oh yes then i asked her why she wasn't taking the 60 and f sc and she didn't have an answer. It's a rip off.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In most cases you are wrong and she is right, unless the operator has zero interest in operating smart to make it work. Let's say the truck gets 8mpg overall, including idling time, and fuel is $3 per gallon. That's .375cpm fuel cost. When fuel is at $3 per gallon the fsc is pretty good. Let's say it averages 20cpm overall although I believe it will be higher overall but we'll use 20cpm. Let's say the truck gets $1.20 a mile. The split (60/40) is .72/.48cpm so the driver has a choice of .92cpm-.375cpm=.545cpm buying fuel or .48cpm not buying fuel.

At $3 for fuel I see the average fsc being at least 25cpm so it's probably more like .975-.375=.60 or .48cpm. The side buying fuel is going to be 10-12cpm ahead of the side not buying fuel. Some of that will get used up on deadhead but an operator that learns the zones and the business and runs smart can make a few extra cents for every mile they run by buying the fuel and taking the 60% side.

Why am I not taking the 60% side? Because if the driver has to buy the fuel he's not going to offer to fill some guys truck on my card for $100 bucks cash. Idiots with somebody else's fuel card do it all the time. He's also hopefully going to run a little smarter since he's got an investment in the operation, even if it's only his fuel money. If it's nothing but hold the wheel and aim the truck he has zero incentive to run smart and economically.

Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
EO Forum Moderator
----------

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Ppl think they're getting ahead with taking fuel, because of the fsc. However, fsc doesn't come in for dh, idling, or anything other than routed miles. How many times have you taken a 500 mile load and it came up exactly 500 on your odometer? I make 65% of everything, fsc included. When I get my check, I come out to near 35% free and clear.

Word of advice to newbs... if the owner wants you to pay fuel, you're in a bad deal if the truck gets less than 9mpg and does not have a generator. You'd be better off having the owner pay the fuel.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
LDB,
The way I see it is you shouldn't ask someone working for you to pay your expense which is fuel. When someone buys a truck they should realize that is there expense and pay it. How would you feel if the big man at panther told you you had to pay the dispatchers salary that day because they give your truck a load? My point was she told me the party getting 60% and fsc was getting the better deal and she refused to pay for fuel and take the 60 and fsc. So she was telling me she refused to take the better deal of the 2. Either she was a liar or an idiot. I bet she was a liar. Fleet owners have been known to tell a few. No offense but if fleet owners can tell the truth about drivers, drivers can tell the truth about fleet owners. The truth is there are a lot of good drivers out there with a few bad apples who make a bad name for everyone. Just like fleet owners are mostly good people(i'm sure you are in this section) but there are a few bad apples who don't pay their drivers and leave them out there to starve. Just like the Panther fleet owner who owes me over 3,000 dollars in unpaid wages. Drivers are not the only ones out there scammin'. Some fleet owners will do it in a heart beat, but not all.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know why she didn't explain it but I did explain in my post why the 60% side is the better side. It can be argued whose expense anything is. I am going to leave it with my explanation above of why a smart driver is going to take 60% plus fsc and pay fuel rather than take the short side of the deal and I'm going to stay with this system with my trucks.

Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
EO Forum Moderator
----------

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
For someone with 0 expierence in trucking, I think (just my comment) the owner would be better off paying the fuel as to the deep pocket syndrom. With expierence, plus knowledge (same thing really) one can see the trends, and should be able to understand the ins and outs and either make a better deal for oneself or move on.

Its all business, I understand the straight forward person with alot of expierence Posts here and also the Newbee still trying to understand things. One thing dont ever say never, I have had to eat that word over and over again....

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
I agree with ower paying for WC and qualcom. 60% with driver paying fuel eats up way to much of the 60%. Should the driver have to pay for both my feeling is then driver should get more like 75%.

The statement about things being 'put on the table up front' I whole heartedly agree with.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
>I agree with ower paying for WC and qualcom. 60% with driver
>paying fuel eats up way to much of the 60%. Should the
>driver have to pay for both my feeling is then driver should
>get more like 75%.
>
>The statement about things being 'put on the table up front'
>I whole heartedly agree with.
==========================================
Technically they are getting 75 percent if they are getting a reasonable fuel surcharge. In my case, it is 60 percent of the base rate, and 100 percent of the fuel surcharge. That is roughly 75 percent of the total freight bill.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator