Who makes the best Sprinter Van?

ShipWreck

Seasoned Expediter
Hello everyone. I have decided to pull the trigger on a new Sprinter van and go to work. Construction is dead now, and it looks to stay that way for a few years. I drove for OTR for 7 years after I retired from the Navy, and have been missing the road some what. If all fails with expediting , I can always put the van to work in the handyman/home repair field. I have talked with a couple of expeditor companies so far, and both seem to be more than willing to take me on, even with a 7 year break from OTR. Anyone willing to share thier knowledge and experience would be greatly appreciated.

My questions are:

1. Who makes the best sprinter? (opinion question)

2. What engine package is the most reliable?

3. Would a extended chassis be more versatile? (loads)

4. Are showers a problem at truckstops buying under 50 gallons?

5. What are sprinters getting for fuel mileage?

6. Is it cheaper to build you're own sleeper?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thx....... John :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Really only one Sprinter...the badges only change..

Only one engine I know of...

Bigger is better...

Nope...not really...

The new ones...about 20 mpg

well yeah...factory sleepers are heavy and subtract from your payload...There is one company now doing light weight sleepers but they aint cheap...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Don't mean to criticize you OVM but you are part of the problem with the identity crisis that the sprinter has.

If you took it upon yourself to have a letter writing campaign, picket Mercedes HQ and demand that the sprinter was only a Mercedes badged product right from the start, no one would get confused and have to deal with having a vehicle that is confused about who they are. I have talked to many sprinters and a lot of them seem to need some sort of therapy to straighten their thinking out. A lot of them break down just to see where they end up at so to get a grip on who they really are. Got to feel sorry for those sprinters, they have it tough.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't mean to criticize you OVM but you are part of the problem with the identity crisis that the sprinter has.

If you took it upon yourself to have a letter writing campaign, picket Mercedes HQ and demand that the sprinter was only a Mercedes badged product right from the start, no one would get confused and have to deal with having a vehicle that is confused about who they are. I have talked to many sprinters and a lot of them seem to need some sort of therapy to straighten their thinking out. A lot of them break down just to see where they end up at so to get a grip on who they really are. Got to feel sorry for those sprinters, they have it tough.

I have no identity crisis....;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

My questions are:

Klaus Schneider, First Shift Team Leader, Dusseldorf Assembly Plant

The one that's under the hood when you get it.

Absolutely. You can put a jacuzzi in that thing.

No. When you take a shower, you can pretty much use as many or as few gallons as you want.

18-24 depending on how fast you drive.

Yes, it is. Unless you suck at building things, then it could really cost you.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Be careful what you wish for.

Greg hit on an important point. I've heard it before, and just the again other day I talked with a lady who is in a Ford but is looking at getting a Sprinter, but she wants a Freightliner because she's heard horror stories about the Dodge Sprinters. They are all manufactured in Germany, shipped over as Knock-Down-Kits and then final assembly is completed in Ladson, SC, just outside of Charleston. The only differences between the Dodge, Freightliner and Mercedes models are the name on the wheels, steering wheel, shifter, and the Owner's Manual cover, and the grille and headlamp assemblies are different. Because of the shakeup and reorganization of Daimler and Chrysler, beginning with the 2010 models there will no longer be any Dodge badged Sprinters. They are all either Mercedes of Freightliner. But other than the name on them, they are identical. You can even buy a conversion kit and replace the grill and nameplates and turn your Mercedes into a Freightliner, or a Dodge, or visa versa visa.