Who Drives for an O/O???

roadrunner

Expert Expediter
I have decided to drive for an owner operator first before purchasing my own van or truck. Does anyone here on E.O. actually drive for an O/O? What are the advantages and disadvantages? If you drive solo, is your salary decent? (minus fuel, tolls, food, repairs, etc.) What are some pointers to watch out for when choosing a good, honest and reliable O/O?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One important thing is have your agreement in writing.Spell out exactly what expenses you are responsible for,how and when you will be paid,time off, breakdown costs on the road,etc. When you put it together have both signatures witnessed by a notary public,this protects you and the O/O. If the O/O doesn!t want to go along with this find another one. I would also try to find out how long he has been in business and what his driver turnover rate is. Agree as to what percentage of tiume you will be available and your load acceptance rate. I have heard horror stories on both sides of the fence. One good thing would be to live close by where the o/o lives,that way you can communicate on regular basis face to face.Good luck.

SpaceGhost58

Expert Expediter
Roadrunner I am currently driving for an O/O.
This is actually my third O/O and if what they say about three times is a charm than I guess it's true.

Several years ago I drove for an O/O who thought that he was going to make alot of money and conviced me to drive for him at a 70/30 split.
I should have thought that it was too good to be true but I was new to this expediting thing and focused on the money.

Well he went way over his head and in no time soon he was out of business and I was out of a job.

My second experience was basically like the first except I had a 60/40 split. I paid for fuel, tolls only.
Things seemed to work out but again bad business decisions forced him to close up shop.

I told myself then I would never drive for an O/O again and if I did expedite again it would be my own vehicle.

Well everything changed on 9/11 for this reservist and I found myself on active duty for several years.

I really enjoyed expediting and after I retired from the reserves I figured I would try this expediting again.

This time...thanks to this wonderful venue I was able to read and learn about the do's and dont's of going into this career.
After about a year I decided to take the plunge and made contact with an O/O locally.
I did what I read on E/O and met and asked alot of questions to the O/O.
After checking him out as well as him checking me out I agreed to drive for him.
I looked over his contract and inquired about his company.

The thing I found out is that many O/O will promise you the sky it is the ones who are honest fair and treat you like a part of the business that are hard to find.
I think I was lucky really
I know the O/O takes big chances as well and he has more to lose that's for sure.

I think proffesionalism is a big factor and my O/O drives as well.
He tries to make us all feel like part of the team and offer input and advice to help make more money and to waste less.

Currently I am doing a 62% and will be going to 65% after meeting profit goals.
I pay for fuel and tolls.
It seems to be working. My O/O has built in encentives that pay bonuses for doing a certain amount of business for the company.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best!
Do your homework...really check out who your going to be driving for.

My O/O gave me all the numbers of his drivers and I called them as well.

Take care!

Spaceghost

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I would have to agree with Rich. I would ask to talk to both past and present drivers and see if he pays on time and if they pay is correct. Always ask to see the settelment sheets so you know what your pay should be. Also, request to see his credit report, or some kind of proof he does not have any money problems. Good Luck to you

trdecker

Expert Expediter
Well, I must have been very nieve when we started to drive for an o/o. It started out good, pay wise. but as time went on pay days got further and further between. We stayed very buzy and at our own fault it cost us as much as we got paid. The o/o never sent a settlement statement to our house for us to reconcile our loads. And by the time we did figure out how much he paid us as to how much we should have been paid its to late. We are still owed over 10 grand for the time covering 4 months of running for him.

So to warn anyone who is looking to drive a E truck, beware of

Jimmy Davis, out of Reno Neveda/ Ruth Maynard, DBA: Morgan Willows, Out of Post Falls Idaho.:'(

If anyone knows a good attorney in Dallas. Let me Know. I don't care if it cost me as much as he owes. Just don't want him to get away with it.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Great Post trdecker!!! It's about time someone out there got some courage to stand up to these so called owners. They are nothing but thieves!!! The sad part of it all is the companies these sleaze balls are leased to let them get away with it. Someone needs to drag their butts into court right with those thieving owners.

D Green!! You live in the big T, FIND this guy a lawyer down there!!!! PLEASE!!!! Lets not let this one get away with it!!!

Are you an OODIA Member? If not you may want to join and get them to help you out on this one. They have some every strong pull. GOOD LUCK!!!! Keep us posted.

D Green

Expert Expediter
Have been lucky, & never needed the services of an attorney. The only owner I ever drove for was very good with a weekly settlement sheet, showing gross & drivers pay on each bill of lading.

Mr. Decker also lives in the LoneStar state. The only suggestion I would give, check with his local JP & small claims court. Don't need a lawyer to file a suit, but the amount ($10k) may be greater than small claims allows. Doesn't mean he can't file for $5k. I have used this method to extract payment from two dishonest customers that wouldn't pay.

Also, I agree about being a member of OOIDA. I have been for many years. They have many good services.

And, I'm glad he had the courage to post that owners name. People like that need to be *outed*

Dennis

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One other thing you may want to check into before spending the money to file in the lonestar state. Find out there the proper venue is and file it there. Venue is the place where you must file a claim. In most states venue is where the load originated or where the defendant lives. If you file a claim in the wrong place the defendant has the right to have it moved to its proper court. If that is in another state you may need to retain a lawyer from that state.

trdecker

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the support.

I think we need a post with the good and bad o/o's in it so the newbies won't get stuck like I did.

Does anyone second the motion? Thanx Again.

sandra50

Expert Expediter
how do i contact this ooda place on my way to see lawyer tomorrow i would also like to get the big guy as well i have proof of the illegal issues i know some drivers dont keep up with there money and there rights

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Hey! I am an owner and I employee drivers. The advice you have been given is all very good and very true. I disagree with the one who called us all sleezeballs. You need to know as much as you can about the owner. Talk to drivers and contact the HR person at the company where they lease on. I pay my drivers 30%. I pay for fuel, upkeep, breakdowns and so on. I just went through that with a truck and actually put the driver in a motel and paid them $50 a day while not driving. I am rare from what I hear. I am also starting a retirement savings program for each driver. They can have access to it after one year with me. Just do your homework. There are good owners and there are bad ones. I was a driver before I was an owner. I would look for someone who is a driver or has been a driver. Specifically and OTR driver. At least they understand what you go through. Get everything in writting and do not be afraid to make changes. Good Luck. raceman

bluebird

Expert Expediter
I drive for an O/O there fair i didn't want to jump right into this business wanted to see how it was for a bit i will be buying my own van or straight truck soon but for now i'm happy like someone said i asked the company how many drivers quite on the O/O i do a 60/40 split.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Please keep in mind that owners and drivers are still just people. Before you commit to working for an owner, try and get to know them a little bit. Decide for yourself if this is the person that you are willing to trust with your livlihood. Personality conflicts happen sometimes - it's just natural. Try to find any possible disagreements before payday. Ask a lot of questions before you take the job. If something feels funny.... Just Say NO!!!

Niteprowler

Expert Expediter
Well, what ever you do, don't Sign on with DLH Enterprises, (Leased to Tri State). They Lied from the getgo, they said Team would make 800 to 1000 per Driver. More like $580-$650 if your lucky. Things they don't tell you is it cost you .40 mile to come home don't matter how long you have been out, that's what they charged my First co-driver after he gave them a two week notice. He went till his last day and then went home, we tried to get a load but could not get one to Ohio and they Charged him $187.(Thats WRONG)and that wasn't in contract, So watch out for the O/O's & there contract, if you don't like what you read make them change it. Watch out for Dennis&Brenda Harrison, There after your money too.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Reading these stories about other drivers problems has me concerned...
as I am a driver driving solo for an owner as well. I've yet to make any money, I get 30% of the trucks revenue. I'm owed $500.00 for my bonus...
Once again, and I learned the hard way... get it in writing.

He's giving me the run-around for my bonus, so I'm giving him the run-around as to when exactly I'm going back into service.

He's leased on with PII, and he tells me that Panther put a hold on his account 'cause his sprinter has not worked in over a month. Panther wants their Qualcomm unit back or $250 to re-instate the Sprinter into service. The Sprinter is being held by another driver of his (for reasons I am not exactly sure of, though I'm starting to see a pattern) in PA. He tells me Panther "let go of" $1,000.00 to him. Well when I reminded him that the money they "let go to him" was not salary but actually a "sign-on bonus" for moving from Fed-Ex to PII, he said no, it's money they let go of. The verbal deal was I was to get $250 from PII and $250 from him after 90 days with PII, well it's been 101 days now. I have his rig in FL, he's in GA.
I am very tempted to drive the truck up there and simply hand him the keys back and brush my hands clean of it all.

jewgmw4ever

Expert Expediter
This has us concerned also. My wife and I have been considering for
sometime now to try and start a small fleet. One truck or van at a time that is. We have run expedited freight for over 2 1/2 years so we know what life on the road is like. We hardly hear any positive comments in regards to owners. Are most of them really that bad? But on the other hand talking with owners we hear that it takes 6 drivers to find one good one (on average). We want to supply good equipment and pay the driver on time what is due to them. It seems easy but I guess like anything else you have to work at it on both sides of the fence to make it work. I guess the old saying is true treat others like you would like to be treated ( even though that does not always happen). Good luck to all. Stay safe.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just like trucking companies, some are good and some are not. Drivers are in demand so like the other posts....get EVERYHING in writing.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
BBB:

Your sad tale caused me to reflect on the many times, over the years, that I have encouraged wannabes to drive for someone else awhile to determine if this is to be the life/lifestyle for them. It's truely unfortunate that you and many others have come upon the greedy owner who is more interested in his bottom line than in a smooth working relationship with hired hands. The missing element to my mini-lectures and that of many of the posts I've read here over the years has been sound advice on what to look for in a good written lease agreement; something that is equally good for the driver as well as the owner. Perhaps we can collectively come up with a good printable document that could be downloaded from this site by any prospective owner or driver. I think this issue needs to be addressed in a separate topic and will do so.

terry

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The idea of a lease agreement is good. However, putting together a generic one is tough. Biggest reason is that benefits, operational variances ect. would be different for each company. For example; You could not take an agreement drawn up for FedEx and use it at Panther.
Companies are too different in the way that they pay ect. One is percentage while the other milage. Or for example Landstar. Does the driver or the owner pay for those large cell phone bills from calling numerous brokers. Pay dispersment is a factor as well, such as weekly, monthly, only on 15 days, or when paperwork is recieved ect. Can money be taken at time of dispatch? Some companies yes, and some no. We have dealt with 4 different carriers and none of them operate the way the other one did. Maybe just a page of pointers ect.