Which would be better?

horses2

Seasoned Expediter
I have a chance to go with a new company called RJR transportation in a sprinter they are out of Canada and now opened a office in Toledo they pay all miles even deadhead. Than I could go to Panther II in a D unit both would be solo I'am leaning towards the sprinter because RJR lets you run no set miles and No log book, But I would like a little help from someone. Thanks

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your completely new..I'd go with the sprinter...solos in a D unit have to wrestle that log book too much to make money.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Not knowing the answer, my first question would be "with what country's currency are you computing my compensation?" On the second note, I'm with OVM. The Sprinter will be a better entry level machine with which to learn the biz, especially crossing the border in a commercial vehicle.

horses2

Seasoned Expediter
It would be US Currency and they are paying 60 cents loaded mile and 10 cents deadhead mile most of there work is automotive.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Boy 60 cents is kinda low...whats the fuel surcharge??? Whos paying the fuel?
Your driving for someone else? or your sprinter?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If you are not new to expedite than I think it would be PII if your getting one of the normal deal of 60/40 or 40/60, and you know or know of the owner.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
If 60 cents a mile is an accurate price, and you are getting the usual 60% of gross, you might not earn enough for a good lunch.

For every 100 miles, you'll likely have 75 loaded and 25 empty. That's $47.50 to the truck owner. If you get 60% of that, you will gross $28.50 from which you may have to deduct fuel $15 +/-, bridge tolls, $3.50? each way and US Customs user fee if USA plated. Your net for a 100 miles Detroit/Canada/Detroit run would be around -$4.50.

I do hope I'm wrong

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Terry..."US Customs user fee if USA plated". This applys to Canadian plated vehicles as well the DHS does not discriminate!*L*

60 cents would sound right if they paid a 1.00 per loaded mile, most sprinters get around that depending on carrier of course, that would account for 60 cent mark.

RJR also has some good Canadian business he'd likely be loaded both ways. I was at DX when they run both US and Can divisions.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What will you be paid for each unit? Without more info it's impossible to make a choice. For something to think about I'll just use P2 numbers for both vehicles to compare with. Vans make 77cpm and D's make 120cpm. For 1000 miles it's either $770 gross or $1200 gross to the truck. If you need to gross $2000 it takes 2597 van miles vs only 1667 D miles. You have to drive 56% more miles in the van to gross the same amount as in the truck (930/1667). Again, that's based on Panther numbers only because I'm not clear on exactly what the numbers would be for your situation.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
fuel costs approx.
1000/22mpg =45.45Gal's x 3.00=136.35
1000/10mpg =100Gal's x 3.00=300.00

163.65 difference

For an owner operator would it not be better to run a Sprinter then a D and not deal with logs and scales...Yes or No???

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, the fsc for a D is higher but I didn't include fsc at all since I don't know all the details. I was just pointing out the difference between the 2 unit sizes as far as miles required for a given gross. No logs is a plus but is offset by earnings potential. Building your learning curve on someone else's equipment is often a good idea. I just wanted to point out the apples/oranges factor of the original question along with something to think about.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I heard about RJR before. My problem with them was that they try to load more than one load on a truck, but compensation for extra loads was minimal. Guess that wouldn't be a problem with a sprinter tho.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RJR isn't a new company. Far from it. They've been around for quite a while, and at one time had a significant U.S. operation with an office in Florence, Ky. At some point, the U.S. operation was closed up and they just operated a Canadian fleet. About 2 years ago, they started putting the wheels in motion to build a U.S. fleet again. They appear to be getting it off the ground.