Which would be best for making money Expedite Vs TL

D33RHUNT3R

Rookie Expediter
My wife and I are wanting to become team truck drivers in the or so next yr or so ..

What are the pros and cons of straight truck expedite vs Class A OTR. ?

What kind of avg income could a h/w team expect to make after the 1st 2yrs as straight truck expediters for a fleet owner? ??

Thanks

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I can't answer the avg income query, [and don't know how accurate a projection for 2 years from now would be, because it's tough to project for right now, given the many variables involved.]
I can toss some differences between expediting in a S/T and OTR as a company driver in a t/t, though. The S/T offers more flexibility in where to park [can't take a T/T to Cracker Barrel, or most movie theatres] and generally less 'dock time', and there's less equipment to deal with [no sliding tandems or airlines to hook & unhook]. The downside is that expedite is like an ambulance or taxi: you don't know where you're going next, or when, until someone needs you.
You will be an independent contractor in expediting, running your own business, responsible for your own 'bennies', but able to turn down offers that don't meet your needs. [Depending on the circs, there may be penalties or repercussions - but in theory, you can always say "no".]
A team in a T/T will have as many miles as they can run, every week, when running for T/L or LTL carrier - not sure about expediting, there aren't a lot of them here. The enthusiasm for working 70 hr weeks wears off after a bit, though.
All things considered, the difference is in how much work vs home [or just off] time you want to achieve, balanced by how much money you need to make.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My wife and I are wanting to become team truck drivers in the or so next yr or so ..

What kind of avg income could a h/w team expect to make after the 1st 2yrs as straight truck expediters for a fleet owner? ??

Thanks

A guess would be about $65-75 in a straight truck but you have to remember that the straight truck position means you are an independent contractor and will be responsible for 100% if your social security instead of half like an employee.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
On the Mast head is "Magazine". IF you can access back issues of Expedite Now it will have some ideas about teams & what's possible in earnings.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Thanks

Money is obviously an important consideration, however, you should also think through the type of driving/life-style environment you're looking for. Driving as a T/T team for a big fleet carrier you can expect to run your tails off, make a decent paycheck, and spend very little quality time together. You'll drive what you're given (likely a hand-me-down as new drivers) and go where and when your told in a fairly regimented environment. Expedite is far less regimented and un-predictable. Although you are accountable to the truck owner to generate miles and revenue for collective benefit, you'll have much more flexibility on what loads you run, and "probably" drive a nicer piece of equipment. If your comfortable with running T/T, then you should consider T/T expedite vs. conventional OTR. Good luck to you