Which truck/van is best

dsingleton

Seasoned Expediter
I am looking at getting into expediting and I am wanting to know what type of truck or van is best to start expediting with. Please explain why you think the van/truck is best.

Thanks

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Best" is pretty subjective. It might mean the easiest to drive, the easiest to learn the business while driving, or the one that makes the most money, or the one that offers the most comforts. But in general, whatever vehicle that may be, the "best" one is the one that's in excellent mechanical shape, and is 100% paid for, and has five grand in the bank supporting it.

Cargo vans and Sprinters allow you to get into the business with less risk, but the revenue potential is also less. A straight truck offers more load opportunities, more revenue potential, and generally more comforts, but the risks and expenses are greater. Solo or team? A straight truck team will make the most money, as long as both team members are really fond of each other.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am looking at getting into expediting and I am wanting to know what type of truck or van is best to start expediting with. Please explain why you think the van/truck is best.

Thanks

Welcome to our web..;)....site..

So just, what, how and why..? are you looking into this...Advice is hard if we don't know any background or your intentions..

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
There is a guy in Fla..Brycey, that might have a Chevy CV all set up and ready to go that i don't think has ever had a skid in it that he will sell you.....:D

dsingleton

Seasoned Expediter
I do not have any experience in expediting or any trucking for that matter. I am wanting to get into expediting because I am looking for career change and wanting to see the country. I also want to be my own boss. I have experience in management and feel I would be able to run my own business. At the same time since I have no experience I am wanting to make the transition easy. I am thinking about getting a Sprinter Van. Would this be a good truck to get into?
I also found an 2009 ISUZU NPR-HD on this website for sale. Would this be a good expediting truck? The link to the truck is
2009 ISUZU NPR-HD Duty Trucks&make=&model=&srt=added DESC&p=25&location=&submit=Search. How about this truck?

Thanks

Dan

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Understanding how this business works is important to figuring out how you decide to fit in. Links in my signature line go to some of the common discussions on getting started.

eb

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
IS EXPEDITING RIGHT FOR ME

Only you can answer this question. If you need to be home weekends or regularly it may not be ideal. You never know where you are headed until the phone rings. Does it make sense for you to take a load for delivery Friday that takes you 500 miles from home? What will it cost you to return home? That money comes from what you earned last week. There are local delivery services that hire owner operators and you can be home nightly and weekends.

WHAT IS VAN EXPEDITING

Van expediting is a non-regulated class of commercial vehicle by the FMCSA(Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration). Vans fall into a class under 10,000 lbs. The vehicles that weigh in/scale over 10,000 lbs must both scale and log.

The first thing to know is the difference between curb weight and Gross Vehicle Rating and carrying capacity. The curb weight is what the van weighs with your stuff and you in the truck. Lets say 7200 lbs. The GVRW is on a plate on the drivers door. It will state the maximum the van can weigh. Lets say your plate says 9600 lbs. The carrying capacity of your van is the difference in these two numbers.

WHAT KIND OF VANS ARE AVAILABLE

Vans used in expediting are either Ford, Chevy/GM or Sprinter in variety. These are mostly the extended van. The extended Ford and Chevy/GM van gives you the space to carry 2 48” x 48” skids and still have space for a small bunk space behind the seats. The extended sprinter gives you the ability to carry three skids and taller loads.

WHICH VAN SHOULD I BUY

It may be trite but the best van you should buy is the one you can afford. This has been asked and discussed many times on Expeditersonline. Some people like Fords and others like Chevy/GM and some think only a Sprinter is correct. Below are some thought:

The ford comes on a 138” wheelbase. This leaves some weight behind the rear axle and may cause the nose to rise.

The Chevy/gm can be had with a 155” wheelbase putting the wheels almost to the corners of the van putting the freight with the area supported by the springs. Chevy/GM owners say this is a better ride.

Sprinters come in three wheelbases and three wheelbases. the extended version will hold more cargo. the 2500 is the most popular.

WHICH ENGINE SHOULD I BUY

This question has been asked many times on Expeditersonline. Some drivers prefer the economy of the 4.8 or 4.6 gas engines from GM or Ford. Others say get the larger engine of 6.0 or 5.4 or larger gas engines for passing power when carrying a heavy load.

SHOULD I GET A DIESEL

If you buy a Sprinter the only engine available is a diesel. The 2005/2006 Sprinters had a 2.7l engine that returned 23-25 mpg loaded. The newer larger Sprinters were able to get 19 to 23 mpg from the more stringently regulated diesel engine.

The favorite American diesel engine was the Ford 7.3. It was recognized for its power and fuel economy. This engine was discontinued in 2005. Many companies have a policy of not allowing new trucks older than 5 years.

The GM Duramax engines are very good and have been updated throughout the last 10 years. Since the engine in Ford/GM vans shares the passenger compartment it is suggested to test drive and decide if the noise at highway speeds is acceptable for yourself.

HOW DO I PLAN EXPENSES

Go to the OOIDA website and search for the cpm spreadsheet. Download it and start crunching numbers. It is set up for you to determine operating costs for your vehicle. These include non operational costs such as cell phone cost, qualcomm rental, insurances both self purchased and company provided, food, hotels and expenses that can include the cost to maintain a brick and mortar home parallel to a mobile money earning home.

check the links to the threads below.

ShipWreck

Seasoned Expediter
I do not have any experience in expediting or any trucking for that matter. I am wanting to get into expediting because I am looking for career change and wanting to see the country. I also want to be my own boss. I have experience in management and feel I would be able to run my own business. At the same time since I have no experience I am wanting to make the transition easy. I am thinking about getting a Sprinter Van. Would this be a good truck to get into?
I also found an 2009 ISUZU NPR-HD on this website for sale. Would this be a good expediting truck? The link to the truck is
2009 ISUZU NPR-HD Duty Trucks&make=&model=&srt=added DESC&p=25&location=&submit=Search. How about this truck?

Thanks

Dan

Hello,

I think you are being naive to think you can just come off the street and break into truck ownership without prior experience. There are just too many things to learn out here before you decide to buy your own truck. It is a major adjustment adapting to the life of a truck driver. Almost 60% of new drivers quit this lifestyle after 1 year on the road.

Here are a few factors:

1. Learning economical routes

2. Learning routes with good rest/food stops.

3. Coping with NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Boston.

4. Going without a shower for 2-3 day some times.

5. Shippers could care less how long you sit at the dock.

6. Recievers could care less how long you sit at the dock.

7. Getting loads that are late before you even pick them up.

8. Safe Parking.... even straight trucks can be a hassle.

9. Break Downs and general Maint. costs.

10. Dispatchers will lie to you. (oh yeah, get used to it)

11. Sitting 2-3 days waiting for a load...some times 5-6.

12. Over zealous state troopers and local police.

13. Learning to use your "hours of service" in your favor.

14. Just being around other truckers... some are very nasty.

15. Combative shippers/recievers.... oh yeah...there are some.

16. Dealing with bad weather, traffic, and other unavoidables.

17. Not getting home during the time frame you requested.

18. Lot lizards banging on your doors at all hours.

Once you experience all of these items, go ahead and decide if this lifestyle is for you.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

Thanks

The best truck is one that is owned by a fleet owner . If things don't work out for you the losses are minimal . Teaming with an experienced driver will improve your chances of success if you eventually buy your own truck .

shaw8999

Seasoned Expediter
If you not experienced I say go with a fleet owner with ateam driver thats been around the block. I wouldn't go in that expense unless I knew what I was getting into.
Good Luck

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, you are a newbie, and thats O.K.
Ive been doing this for almost four years I love it, and I hope I can help you "cut your teeth" I had my own Isuzu NPR it was a good starter truck mostly for local and city parcel work, Then I upgraded to a larger unit 24 foot non CDL day cab because skid work was where the money was. And I still run it. My advice is first try working for a local delivery company one with enough volume to make some money, to get a feel for this business, also this will allow you to meet others in the trucking business. Burn thier fuel and drive thier vehicles, find a company that runs everything fron cars to non CDL strait trucks, if you have a CDL you can look at tractor work. The right vehical depends on your preferances of equpiment and types of freight work hard and smart not just hard..
The three things you need most are MONEY, CONTACTS, and an understanding Wife/husband/partner, you wont get rich quick, make no mistake abbout it, this business can be very expensive, dangerous, and cut throat. I mention the other person in your life because unless you have always been self employed since you met they may not understand how things go financialy. For example, three months without a paycheck after barely making business expenses truck payment, insurance, A $ 600.00 repair bill, and fuel. Oh yeah, it has happened to me several times and yes I am still married. Luckily I have been self employed most of the time weve benn together its old hat to her not everyone can handle it. By the way you wont be home for dinner if at all every night.
In short its more than buying a truck because any vehicle will work if you will work, and you can afford to keep it. it all depends on you and the type of freight and services you want to provide.
Tell You What, if you are intrested in expediting rather than tying up this site go ahead and e mail me and maby I can go more into detail about this business.
[email protected]

Last edited: