which truck to buy

mobile 1

Expert Expediter
Hi every one, I'm looking to replace our mobile production truck chasis. It is not a expedite truck but this is the best forum I found. Lots of good info. I would appeciate any help in this matter.
The truck I need will have a constant load (cammeras video eq. audio eq. ect... with a gvwr at 33k. (with tag or pusher axle in mind for new box bring me up to around 38k gvw in the near future). The truck will see highway use. I have a budget of $60k including tax & box change-over. I have been getting specs from sterling, acterra 7500, International, 4400 & kenworth, t300. I have been hearing good things about Kenworth however they did spec. the 3126 wich I think was renamed c7 acert. All specs with eaton fuller 10 speed trans. I have heard the cat engines do not have egr systems just a catalytic converter and run cooler. The 315hp isc cummings does use egr and runs very hot. the mbe900 is expensive to maintain. I have been leaning towards eather the sterling because of the cab ( air ride, auto windows, auto mirrors on both sides, over head console) or the t300 because it has such a solid rep. Whatever truck we do get It will have to last many years. The studio equipment in back is worth aprox. $1mil so I can't mess round. Any opinions and advise will be greatly valued from you because of your experience.
Thank you, Mobile 1

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I need a little more info- Based on your need specifications, what sort of quotes have the KW, International, and Sterling dealers been giving you for your above mentioned powertrains? Were any of them within your budget so far?
Who was giving you that horrible training session on diesel engine exhaust emissions, or accurate data on the MBE900 maintenance? I'll bet they don't even know what EGR is, and found the catalytic converter fell out of their '86 Olds wagon yesterday and discovered what it was, and think diesel engines have them as a primary source of emissions control.
You have come to the right guy if you don't like messing around, and it sounds like you have been messed around with. Give me straight facts, I will give you straight opinions, and save you a lot of time and money.
-Weave-

mobile 1

Expert Expediter
Weave thank you for your reply.
I work for Time warner cable here in Albany NY. The truck I am in now is a 1975 ford 700 C-cab. (yea I know)
The garage that has been working on our truck has given those opinions. Gary is an older gentalmen who does not beleve in exaust gas reserculation, Nor do I, coming from a racing backround. Not good for any engine but I guess the manufacturers must comply. The cat engines only have the catalytic converter which is less intrusive. What is your opinion? The guys at this garage swear by kenworth, cat or cummings.
The kenworth came in at $50,604, k3/t300 4x2 with the 3126b (I am calling to get a quote on the isc 315)(ok just got off the phone with the dealer. Its only a $228 differance thats a no brainer!). donaldson dry air filter, 840sq-in radiator, horton drvmaster fan hub w/borgwarner nylon fan(looking at viscous), horz exh w/vert tail pipe (all crome), jake extarder c7/3126(may need to be changed with cummings engine), fuller 1121oc 10-speed concept 2000 trans w/fuller 14in ceramic damp low inertia clutch, 3spl170 XL;2 centerbearing med duty driveline, Dana spicer E-12021 12k 3.5" drop front axle, Dana spicer 21090s 21k single rear axle w/4.63(with cummings I may go with 4.9 or 4.11) ratio, alum. polished wheels, stainless bumper, polished aluminum tank, (I need all this spit & polish because it is a show truck at times) floormat or rug ? which is better. Kw aircushion plus Hb mordura drivers seat with armrests, kenworth am/fm/cd radio w/clock, stainless ext. sunvisor, Dual airhorns w/snow sheald, west coast polished mirrors, 10-5/8 X 5/16 frame rail (add $1200 for 1/4" frame liner for future tag/pusher axle). Thats about it for the kenworth.
The sterling came in at $50,610, Acterra 7500, w/mbe900 280hp, no jake brake, eaton/fuller 7 speed fso-8406a trans. w/eaton fuller 14" clutch, 15.5cfm air compressor, 720sq-in radiator, block heater, meritor mfs-12-143a front axle at 12k, rs-21-230 2 speed single rear axle, 17n meritor main driveline w/full round yokes, 4.56/6.36 ratio, Airliner 21k rear sus. rear shocks, Quick disconnect fitting w/air hose for tire inflation kit, 11/32 x 3-1/2 x 10-3/16in frame, same mirrors but elec. controled on "both" sides, elec. contrl windows Both sides (the latter to are not available on both sides on the t300 not realy a deciding factor though), fiberglass ext. sunvisor, air sus. cab, driver air seat, aluminum fuel tank/wheels, horizontal muffler w/horizontal tail pipe, am/fm radio.
Well that is what it comes down to. The international was around $56k not realy considering that one.
The box change-over is about $5k. they need to make a rig to hold the box. It has belly bays all the way around and a cable trough down the center between the frame rails. I hope this is enough details for you.
I very much appreciate your help, mobile 1

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That seven speed with a two speed rear sounds real interesting to me.
Wish i'd thought of that, or knew it was available. If you're gonna
carry a lot of weight, the extra splits will be really nice in the hills. I.m typing from Whidby Island, WA tonite and, those fourteen
different choices would have been nice on the way out from Indiana.
Nine with a heavy load ain.t enough sometimes to get up the hill right. And, nine is too many when you're on the flat. As far as the
badge in them, one is as good as the other, if, you get a good one.
I'd go for which one fits you (comfort,application) and let it go at that.

mobile 1

Expert Expediter
X06col,
That is what I have on the ford but is a 5sp trans with a 391ci gas engine.(just rebuilt the carb & put a custom tuned exh. on.. I need to squeez evey ounce of hp out of this puppy). Normaly use the diff low range when starting on a hill but it has come in handy whin I need that "in-between" gear on those long hills. I don't think I will need it with a 10 speed.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would definitely go with the KW over the Sterling. Cummins ISC over the 3126 for sure, and either rear ratio would be OK, but go higher if you are cruising down the highway most of the time. There is an "exhaust retarder" for the ISC available, that I don't think is too expensive. I much prefer rubber floormats to carpet for longevity. That 10 speed is so new I'm not even sure what it is, same goes for the 7 speed Eaton in the Sterling. If having EGR is an issue, (it really shouldn't be, the systems on the diesels coming out are precisely computer controlled, not like gas engine EGR's of the past), I believe the MBE900 has EGR along with the Cummins. Now that all the bugs have been worked out of the ISC, it is really proving itself as a winner just like the old C8.3 it replaced.
The KW has somewhat of a "snug" cab compared to the Sterling, but in turn the KW cab is of better quality construction in my opinion. (I have to put in a lot of "my opinions" for fear of being sued now) :(,
If the rig reaches the point of resale before being worn out, the KW chassis will win out in that value category also. CAT 3126's have no resale compared to Cummins ISC's, and there are not enough MBE900's running yet to know what its resale is going to be. I don't like the fact that the MBE900 is a parent bore engine like the 3126, and it cannot have an in frame rebuild done on it. So for my 2 cents, go KW!
-Weave-

mobile 1

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your reply Weave,
I have been leaning towards the kenworth. I usualy drive solo so the space does not bother me at all. You are right about the EGR systems so that souldn't be a problem specially with the 315, It sould be plenty of engine for my application.
AS far as resale I didn't even cosider it, seeing that we are "now" just geting rid of the "1975" ford! LOL. It is on its 2nd engine, third tranny and countless other components. Yea its tired. dont ask me why it hasn't been replaced by now. maybe beause its a "classic".
Well I am sorry to hear about your fear of being sued. Just cant understand why someone can't take an expert opinion for what it is, an "opinion". I mean that is what I joined this forum for, to get experienced opinions to "assist" me in making a decision.
Well anyway thank you for your "opinion"
Mobile 1

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
From what I read so far, I agree, KW is the way to go. I have a 300 with a cat and have had good luck with it. It is rebuildable but not as a in frame. Also resale on a KW is alot higher than a sterling. ANd don't forget, Sterling is a Frieghtliner and their service is nothing to get excited about. Dealers are good and bad but my experience with them was terrible. I have only had to see a dealer on my KW a couple of times and never had a problem. Very quick with no bs, and usually with no appointment they got us right in. They do Freightliner work at TA's now but.....you can draw your own conclusion.