which truck to buy..????

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I recently had a conversation with a truck salesman, who specializes in expediters. He told me that many companies are urging thier drivers to switch to class 8. He also said that, stretching one is not the way to go. Also his reasoning was that companies don't hold the same 5 year age limit on class 8's. I can see the advantages of running class 8, but don't know anything about the complications of buying and stretching, or the age limit question. Anyone? Or was it just salesman's hype to get me to buy on?

BOBBYSGIRL

Expert Expediter
OK HERES THE POOP. I HAVE DRIVEN MOST CLASS 7 TRUCKS A CENTURY CLASS AND A KENWORTH T2000 STRAIGHT TRUCK. THE BEST TRUCK IN MY BOOK IS THE T2000 IT GETS 12 MPG COMPARED TO THE CENTURY CLASS 9 MPG AT LEAST THE TRUCK WE DROVE OTHERS MAY SAY DIFFERENT. THE CLASS 8 TRUCKS HAVE A 10 YEAR LIFE WITH MOST COMPANIES. AND A CLASS 7 TRUCK HAS A 5 YEAR LIFE, IF THEY WOULD ONLY LAST THAT LONG ITS ALMOST ALWAYS 3 TO 4 YEARS.THE CLASS 7 TRUCKS ARE NOT MADE TO DRIVEN OVER THE ROAD SO THEY DON'T LAST AS LONG. THE T2000 IS A LITTLE CHEAPER THAN THE CENTURY CLASS. THIS TRUCK WAS BOUGHT AT THE DEALER IN CLEVELAND. WE DON'T OWN IT SO DON'T KNOW WHICH SALESMAN SET IT UP. JAT MOTT OUT OF ORLANDO FREIGHTLINE DOES KNOWS A LOT ABOUT THE BUISNESS. I HAVE TALKED TO HIM SEVERAL TIMES.GOOD LUCK.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
why mess around with getting the right truck etc when you are able to
order from factory and add box and ready to go and truck
to get is western star if it's not a star it's not a truck
ordering a class 8 and if you were to put on with fedexcc you would
be able to run the truck 10 year's

but the other thing is when you are running business class of all trucks doesn't matter what one it is , you are running a city truck
trying to do over the road truck, and they aren't builded for the
long haul, if you are single and notting teaming it there ok.
but if your teaming it they ride rought and it's hard to sleep
when you have to be sleeping on the road and your turn is coming up
so give bill moore a call at tsi 800 388 3850 and say geo
told ya to call

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
yes have a 2001 western star the first one they made
if's it not a start it's not a truck
give bill moore a call at 800 388 3850 and he will give
you a price and if your close by stop in and drive one
it has eaton select auto shift great transmission
clutch only to start and stop
check out add here on eo for tsi

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Boy, that is a SWEET one! Hope a drop axle is on its way to put some weight on!
-Weave-

omalljd

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have 2 Western Star Expediters. They are the same truck pictured above. Both of these trucks came from TSI. In my opinion these are the best trucks on the road. If you are looking from an investment view these trucks can be leased on for 10 or 11 years compared to the Class 7 trucks which typically are leased on for 5 or 6 years. You can purchase a Class 8 Western Star for about $80 to $90K. When you take all expenses and longevity into consideration this is the only way to go.

Jeff

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Do understand, Western Star folks, that this is not the old Western Star. The company is now owned by Freightliner, as is Ford's class 8 division Sterling. You deal with Freightliner exclusively now..Good luck!:D
-Weave-

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I like how GEO is always ranting and raving about go see Bill moore don't mess around with stretching one.....80K is way more than most can affordx( , you can stretch a good used volvo for 1/3rd the price and if you get a 770 you get twice the truck..(believe me i've checked)..and a volvo is a better stretch due to its tighter turn radius,

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I have talked to big truck drivers who owned or drove Volvo 770's. About 95% loved them. But all of them had one complaint about it. They all complained how heavy the 770 is. Most have told me fully dressed the 770 weighs approx. 21,000 pounds. Now when you stretch it and add a box to the truck you would have to have a tag axle before you ever put one piece of freight on the back.

If you lightned it by taking out all the goodies,..ie the sink the breakfast nook,..etc You might as well buy a Freightliner. Its a catch 22. The truck would be great as it sits, but you would sit if you had the truck.

For my money A kenworth T-300 or the Peterbilt 330 with the class 8 drivetrain will work just as well. It is heavier than the "Yugoesque" FL-70 and will last longer. But it isn't as heavy as the Volovo. To me its the best of both worlds.:-(

BOBBYSGIRL

Expert Expediter
TAHST RIGHT WILD BILL YOU JUST MISSED ONE THING THE FRONT AXLE IS 12,000 LBS WITHOUT A BOX. I DON'T THINK THEY COULD PUT A BOX ON IT AND HAVE IT BE ABLE TO SCALE OUT!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
After driving a farmall 4900 for 600,000 miles in the expedite business, I figgured it was time to treat myself. I located a 330 Pete, used, 30,000 miles, ISC cummins, 9 speed. It had been set up
with the drive, way under the 22ft box. No problem, I had wanted to
be a little big truck driver with a tandem for a long time. So, I went about the business of fixing this machine to work a bit. Put an air tag (behind the real drive) on the truck, and went about my business.
First load out I took about 4,000 lbs to Phoenix. And, was able to
scale that no problem. While at Phoenix (by the way, was there 9/11,
and one of the other trucks called from New York at 0500 and told me to get the TV on) I Picked up two parcials. One was 4 skids at 9000
lbs. The other 25 barrels, at 12,500. 21,500lbs. Well, i'd decided
this load will give me a little experience tweiking the air on the air tag, or, god forbid, some kinda grunt work rearranging. Loaded, I went to see Mr.CAT, and donated my $7.50. To my large surprise all axles were just fine. On I17 N had to go to 7th. After driving this machine for a while now, bottom line is I can load 20,000 on about anywhere in there and not have to think about Mr. CAT. It is very well balanced. Had 25,350lbs on once and, had to do some air pressure adjustment. Don't believe i'd spend 90 grand for a machine.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ok, correct me if I am wrong.;-) You are going to have a tough time scaling much over 10,000 on any stretched class 8 tractor running a single drive axle. I'd be curious (hence my comment under the picture) as to what Geo's Western Star can scale with the single. They more or less force you to add a tag and make "mega-truck", which a lot of expediters, including myself, do not want. Wild Bill is right with the KW T300- Pete 330- they are lightweight jobs with class 8 chassis that blow away FL70's as far as quality that if equipped with smaller sleepers can still scale 13,000 with a single drive.... I want one!
-Weave-

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Weave, your about right on the money with the weight you can scale. If anyone is thinking about stretching a class 8 tractor. Do your homework and find out what the truck weighs before its stretched and make sure whoever is doing the work sets it up correctly. Or you may be in for a surprise when you scale it. I have 2000 Freightliner Classic XL132 stretched tandem axle w/22' box. I can put 22,000lb in the box and scale it with full fuel tanks. But the catch to that is: It all has to be loaded about 4' back from the front of the box. Or i am over on the steer. The drives never come close. I about got it down to a science now on how to load it. To keep the weight legal on the steer. But it can be a real pain. My advice is if your going to stretch a class 8. Don't go for a long hood like I did. Find something lightweight and with a short hood. Or better yet find a truck with heavy front axle. Because in my case a pusher axle won't even help. Because with the added weight hanging there it just puts more on the steer. Besides who really wants a tri-axle expediter. Just some food for thought before you spend your hard earned cash.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you look closely at GEO!S Western Star it is a C truck,only required to carry 5,000 lbs.So the single axle probaly is sufficent.However 80 Big Ones is a lot of change to haul C or B loads.My feelings are similar to Wild Bill and Weave,go with the Pacaar trucks,(Class 7 Kenworth/Peterbuilt) have a Cummins engine,Fuller Transmission and avoid the hassle and expense of a tag axle.Plus have a payment that you can make each month..

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if your wondering why i say to go to tsi and bill moore, he give's you a fair price and remember your name after the sale and if you
have a problem or a question he takes time to list and to fix it and
make it right. and if you have repairs or work done there he treat's
like it's his truck until you get it back and train's his tech the same way, if you won't acept this don't put it out of my shop
also he gives a good value for your dollar so people who make me
happy i steer people their way

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One other thing I would be curious about is bridge law. With 3 axles and a short wheel base and maxed out on weight, might be close. I could never figure that formula out but would think you would be over weight. I wouldn't want to find out the hard way. Expensive ticket.
Randy:)

akjedj

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We own a Century class freightliner class 8 expedite truck and we have had only one weight problem. Not to mention that we hardly ever see a heavy load with expedite. We can scale 19,760 pounds empty. Ok maybe more now that we have a pallet jack in it. I love this truck! Class 8 is great for expedite if you are experienced and can make it work for you. It is the only way to go if running team.

Of course the downside is a larger payment each month, but this truck will out live the payments by 5 years-can't say that about a FL70. Unfortunately, my husband tried to run single at the beginning of last year with FCC. We figure that we made about $5,000 above truck related expenses in the first 6 months, and then had an unfortunate experience running for a small expedite company which couldn't seem to keep settlement checks from bouncing. Too bad since they kept us busier than FCC and Landstar. Bottom line, our truck is for sale, I guess being an O/O isn't for us. Check it out on the classifieds.