Which State is best to relocate to?

newtrucker

Not a Member
I've been in the business for two years and I'm new to this site. I'm currently in Massachusetts(which I hate) and I'm looking to relocate to the Midwest. The three places I'm considering are Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. I really like Michigan for its campgrounds and hunting & fishing. I like Indiana for its pro business state government and business friendly policies and Ohio is conveniently located. These are just my initial impressions.

Any insight regarding the pros and cons of these 3 states would be much appreciated.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
i for one choose michigan.....been here most of my life. economy sucks, but we know that.. so i say yes to michigan.....LOL

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Texas. Best people in the country. No state income tax. More pro-business than any other state. Great weather. Good looking cowgirls. I'll never leave here.

BTW, I spent my first 44 years living in Warwick, RI with 6 years in Taunton, MA.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I've been in the business for two years and I'm new to this site. I'm currently in Massachusetts(which I hate) and I'm looking to relocate to the Midwest. The three places I'm considering are Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. I really like Michigan for its campgrounds and hunting & fishing. I like Indiana for its pro business state government and business friendly policies and Ohio is conveniently located. These are just my initial impressions.

Any insight regarding the pros and cons of these 3 states would be much appreciated.

Stay away from Ohio. Lived there all my life and I'm ready to get out of Dodge. Recent politics have made me ashamed to be here.:(

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Texas. Best people in the country. No state income tax. More pro-business than any other state. Great weather. Good looking cowgirls. I'll never leave here.

BTW, I spent my first 44 years living in Warwick, RI with 6 years in Taunton, MA.

South Dakota for all the above reasons except it gets just a weee bit chilly....:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Absolutely do not come here. Our taxes suck, and will be going up, the new governor is starting to sound like the old one (shared sacrifice) and we just plain suck. Our economic climate won't be really improving for at least three years and if the economist over at U of M are right, our employment situation will not improve until 2021 to the levels it was in 2002.

IF I would choose one of the three states to live in, it would be Indiana. I think the government has the right ideas on how to run a state, they are pro-business as you mentioned and as a professional in this industry there is enough work there.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
South Dakota for all the above reasons except it gets just a weee bit chilly....:D

You know OVM, if I moved there, some one in a sprinter would break into my home and steal all my navy beans and leave me with an empty pickle jar. So no thanks to south dakota.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You know OVM, if I moved there, some one in a sprinter would break into my home and steal all my navy beans and leave me with an empty pickle jar. So no thanks to south dakota.

You are quite a "witty" mood tonight.....must have had a good week eh? no aches and pains?

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have been hearing lots of great things about SD. Lots of oil there, I hear. And unemployment is at an all time low. Good going, SD.

Not sure I would want to try for home time in SD. It is so out of the normal expedite lanes. I prefer Arlington, TX where I pass through whenever I go to Laredo, leave Laredo, go or come from El Paso or Nogales. I'm equidistant between I-35W and I-35E just off I-20 near 360. GM is jut up the road and I'm within 10 miles of the new Cowboys Stadium and the Rangers Stadium.

I love it here.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been hearing lots of great things about SD. Lots of oil there, I hear. And unemployment is at an all time low. Good going, SD.

Not sure I would want to try for home time in SD. It is so out of the normal expedite lanes. I prefer Arlington, TX where I pass through whenever I go to Laredo, leave Laredo, go or come from El Paso or Nogales. I'm equidistant between I-35W and I-35E just off I-20 near 360. GM is jut up the road and I'm within 10 miles of the new Cowboys Stadium and the Rangers Stadium.

I love it here.

Well the east side...the I-29 corridor has been good for me with loads.....from Fargo to Sioux City..
and only 3% sales tax on new vehicles!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm thankful to be a Texan although even that isn't what it once was and still should be. If I couldn't be a Texan I'd probably look at Tennessee next. Of the three you mentioned my personal choice would be IN, OH and MI last.

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
Oh yes i29 Sioux falls SD.I have family in several parts of SD rapid city , stugis, spearfish.and sioux falls on the east.Then you have Mt rushmore, the bad lands, bike rally.(Stugis)Hunting, fishing.hiking. Sioux Falls has become the Credit card clearing houses for big banks.Morrel and company.Plus that quaint little gambling town. Nice state but for me I would enjoy living in a warmer climate as I reside in Wi.and thats to cold for me. lol

Last edited:

Mixerman2006

Seasoned Expediter
The economy in michigan is a mess. Not sure if things are a lot better in ohio or indiana. But if this makes any difference or not, the housing market is one of the worst in the country so lots of good deals to be had.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I don't know much about Indiana. I'd think Ohio would be the best of the 3 for getting freight. It's centrally located so a lot of times you'd pass by your house.

Michigan would be the place ya could probably by the least expensive house if you were looking to buy. There's some decent houses in decent areas for $20,000 & under.

A lot of times though, a place is what ya make of it. I've lived in Las Vegas. I enjoyed it a lot there, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did when I lived in Toledo.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Tennessee is great, very beautiful and no state income tax. Also with I40 going though it, it has always been easy for me to get a quick load out after being home a few days.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Stay away from Ohio. Lived there all my life and I'm ready to get out of Dodge. Recent politics have made me ashamed to be here.:(

Me too, come October I'm moving to Fort Myers Beach Florida,already went down there in February and bought a place! :D:)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would never go back in MI. I hate cold weather. For me Atlanta is the best.:)

Guess that works out then, a balance. I would never live around Atlanta again, I hate hot weather. Atlanta is too crowded too. Shoot where I live is too crowded and there are only 10 houses. More people live in the cemetery than in the rest of the township. Nope, big cites just suck.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
An expediter who locates in Florida could do worse.

The disadvantage is that Florida lacks busy express centers like those found in the Northeast. Depending on your carrier and equipment, you may have to deadhead north to find freight if you call Florida home, and deadhead south to sleep in your house.

Advantages include:

- No state income tax

- Better weather in the winter months

- Home prices that present great value to people moving in. Not investment value as in buy low and sell high, but dollar value as you can pick up more square feet of living space and more acreage per $10,000 than you can in many other places in the country.

It will vary county by county, and city by city, and even neighborhood by neighborhood, but my sense is that in general, Florida property values continue to decline.

Our Florida vacation house is in Volusia county, South of Daytona Beach. This article provides information about the continuing property value decline there. A current property owner's pain can be a new buyer's gain. Note that county officials do not expect the downward trend to bottom out until 2012 or 2013.

With some good research and negotiating, an expediter could set himself or herself up pretty good in Florida. A rule of thumb to follow is if a seller is offering a house at $100,000, offer $50,000 to see what happens. You might be pleasantly surprised. Also note that property taxes are likely to increase as taxing authorities try to offset the loss of property tax revenue that declining property values produce.

If you don't care to get home often and can stay out for several months at a time, Florida's disadvantage of being out of the busy freight lanes can be somewhat mitigated.

If you want or need to get home easily and often, any of the winter states you mentioned would work, with Ohio being perhaps the best.

It is all a matter of priorities. If you hate winter more than you love freight, Florida is a good choice. If you want to keep busy year round and get home easy and often, Ohio works well. If state income tax is a big issue, there are a handful of states that do not have it (yet). A place that includes truck parking at home can be more easily found in Texas where zoning laws tend to be less restrictive than in the Northeast or Midwest.

EDIT: Additional Info

While low house prices, winter weather and no state income tax make Florida atrractive, sales tax charged on trucks registered in that state must also be considered.

If you own a truck registered on another state, Florida will charge you sales tax on the present fair market value of the truck if you register it there. Consider this also before making a decision to relocate to Florida.

Last edited: