Which Size Gas Engine?(Cargo Van)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
06 Express 4.8l maintained as a slop bucket should be (rarely if at all). Just under 500k. 18-19 mpg.
Scott, having owned and driven both the 4.8 and the 6.0, if you were to buy a new 3500 van what engine would you choose? Any performance difference between the two? I guess a meaningful comparison would be worthless since the 6.0 was in the Baby Beast.

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I have the 5.4 with 198000 nothing but oil changes an tires so far I want to put 600000 before I get a new one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
How do you like the 6 speed? Any problems?

So far no mechanical problems.. only thing is unless its flat land ...u run it in 5th. Cause it will shift back an forth alot..65 mph. In 6th year = 1750 rpm..1 nice feature is you can shift it manually on the shifter with your thumb...I do like that..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Scott, having owned and driven both the 4.8 and the 6.0, if you were to buy a new 3500 van what engine would you choose? Any performance difference between the two? I guess a meaningful comparison would be worthless since the 6.0 was in the Baby Beast.

Moot, the baby beast had the Duramax. Sorry, never driven the 6.0

flattop40

Expert Expediter
recently sold my 07 e350 with the 5.4 with over 600k on it with original drive train and still to this day will get 17 mpg. Also have an 08 GMC cut a way with a 12ft box with the 4.8. Replaced the motor after 350k. I am sure it would have been better with the 6.0. The 4.8 is undersized for the big box.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
I've got 2006 Chevy with 4.8. 417,000+ still going, but is real tired. We have '12 vans @ work, also with 4.8 & 6 speeds. the 2 box trucks we have the 6.0 with 6 speeds. under warrantee changed out trans in one of them, (over heating problems.... burnt trans up).

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
So the gasser engines are very long lasting with proper maintenance and they keep the same fuel economy thru out. But do they still handle the weight as well? I would think that with 500-700k miles on any engine that it would lose compression and start to lose power and there for its ability to haul. Also what are common problems that the engine my have? like do they blow out spark plugs or maybe cracked intakes?

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
When I was running with Premium Transportation, I had a 2008 Ford E-250, 4.6 engine. I ran loads from 1/2 lbs to 4,000 lbs(once). Mostly in the 500 to 2800 lb range. It ran great and always had more than enough power to handle the load. When I got rid of it at about 150,000 miles, it was still running strong. I never had any problem with the drive train. Only expenses were oil changes and upper ball joints. If I ever got back into the business, it be a Ford van again without question.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
has any of yall heard about anybody running the E-350 with the 6.0L Powerstroke? Ive heard the horror stories of that engine in the trucks but I also realize Im gonna find more bad than good in most cases. Its sorta my christmas present and I know nothing about if thats a good starting point like can it use the same upgrades as it pickup brother? If so I could see some certain advantages with the chips for better fuel economy...Its a single wheel cargo with a GVW of 9XXXlbs is that normal?

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
A friend of mine bought a new Ford w/6.0 & he's had nothing but trouble,the first was around 30K mi the inj pump went out then injectors went out.,not all @ once just one evrey once in a whileH.e says they just go bad & now he afraid to drive it to far,I think he's only has around 250K on it .You should get on some of the Ford boards & read up about it b4 u invest.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Love our 7.3 Powerstroke and our 7.3 IDI with an ATS Turbo. Some guys on the Ford Forums refer to the 6.0 as "6.NO!!!"

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like its time to look at Chevy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Does anyone have concerns about the power of Ford's V6 Echo Boost when it comes out in the Transit Combinator. It seems to have a good few years track record with the F150.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone have concerns about the power of Ford's V6 Echo Boost when it comes out in the Transit Combinator. It seems to have a good few years track record with the F150.

It's got tons of power. I'd worry more about the longevity of a complex engine like that.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like its time to look at Chevy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Lol can't the gift was the ford. Well I haven't picked up because of the weather so might figure someway of getting out of the deal even if I have to pay the seller an apology fee