Which Size Gas Engine?(Cargo Van)

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Hey guys and gals I was wondering what size y'all run? Im not looking for a GM/Ford debate, I just wanna know if the GM people run the 4.8 or the 6.0 and if the ford folks run the 4.6 or 5.4? Or do you run the diesels that you can run in a cargo? What are your impressions of each, do you have a preference in size, does the smaller engine get better or worse gas than the bigger option? Any tips tricks or concern leave em here

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had a 2009 Chev G3500 with the 6.0 and 4spd. I drove with an egg under my shoe and got 17mpg pretty easily and up to 19.x when I really was careful and took my time. I had plenty of engine for a max load and otherwise it loafed along. I'd like to have one of the new ones with the 6spd to compare just for grins.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I've just been looking around at cargo vans for giggles incase someday I decide to branch out from driving for my dad and one myself. I see so many vans with the small V8s and I just wondering if the big one is best for like you said for the heavy loads or if the little is big enough. I have 2002 silverado with the 4.8 and it's a stout little engine. The 4.6 had always left a little to be desired for me. But the 5.4 is a beast in my experience

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Hey guys and gals I was wondering what size y'all run? Im not looking for a GM/Ford debate, I just wanna know if the GM people run the 4.8 or the 6.0 and if the ford folks run the 4.6 or 5.4? Or do you run the diesels that you can run in a cargo? What are your impressions of each, do you have a preference in size, does the smaller engine get better or worse gas than the bigger option? Any tips tricks or concern leave em here
If you change the oil arter 10k and use good oil all 4 engine are ok. The best in my opinion is the 5,4 Ford. All of them will take you 500k plus.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm probably not the best one to ask. The "Gray Lady" has the old Chevy 5.7 engine in it, you can't get those today unless you get really old vans. This workhorse has 406,500 miles on it and still seems strong, gets between 13 and 15 mpg depending on load and which way the wind is blowing.

Today, I'd have to favor the larger small-block 8s, the big block engines are and always have been boat anchors unless you're towing a horse trailer.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I too have a Chevy with the 6.0, 4 speed with 712,000 miles. New to date 16.65 mpg. I think I could squeeze another ½ to 1 mile per gallon with a 6 speed.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
06 Express 4.8l maintained as a slop bucket should be (rarely if at all). Just under 500k. 18-19 mpg.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
We have 17 cargo vans Chevy and Fords. Chevy's are nicer to drive, better fuel millage. Ford Engine and transmissions are better on the long run. But you have the problems with the front end .We never changed engines in a Ford van. On Gm you will have to change the engine after 400k or so.

guido4475

Not a Member
I love my ford 5.4. Runs like a scalped chicken. Super dependable vehicle with no problem on power. Easy to work on and everyone stocks parts for these. Very cheap to maintain and repair, if needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I remember correctly, although I have eaten and slept many many times since then, Terry and Rene ran GM vans with gasoline engines and got 500-550k out of each of them without anything as extreme as changing engines. Hopefully Terry can reply with more details since that has nothing to do with his current position.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
06 Express 4.8l maintained as a slop bucket should be (rarely if at all). Just under 500k. 18-19 mpg.

18-19 rocks!! My best consistent average is about 17.4.
4.8L. 4L80E. Whatever stick gears come in the rear.
Now, that's 17.4 when I was doing 70-73 MPH.
Lighter the foot, high the average.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Man 500k on the original engine is a lot of miles. So I get the feeling a all 4 engines are solid choices. Although nobodies mentioned the 4.6 lol

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
When I retired from driving my 2006 Chevy 3500 extended had 681,000 on a 6.0 ltr engine. I sold it to a lawn maintenance guy and it's still running strong.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Sold my 06 4.8 L to kid here on EO. still going w/ 700,000 + miles..good motor..always got 17-18 with it..
Now have 2010 SRW Chevy cube w/ 6.0 6spd..just installed Bully Dog Gt tuner getting 17 so far..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Y'all have gotten more miles out of these vans I'd have ever thought possible. Any sprinter guys that can comment about which of its engines are best?

Deville

Not a Member
We have 17 cargo vans Chevy and Fords. Chevy's are nicer to drive, better fuel millage. Ford Engine and transmissions are better on the long run. But you have the problems with the front end .We never changed engines in a Ford van. On Gm you will have to change the engine after 400k or so.

You took the words right out my mouth. I couldn't agree more.

I have 2 ford e350's, both with v8's. One is a cargo van with 187,000 miles , the other a cutaway van with dual axles & a 12 foot freezer box with 164,000 on it. both run & shift like champs.

The 8's are the way to go. the 6 cylnder is weak, requires more maintence & the difrence in gas mileage isn't very much between the two engines.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I own both a 2007 sprinter and a 2012 ford e350 and i love the ford....yea it gets crapppy fuel mileage but everything else is way cheaper!

DST001

Expert Expediter
I have to agree with Dan I had a Sprinter van it was nothing but a nightmare parts are way too expensive and if you break down in the middle of nowhere you're screwed. Now I have 2013 GM single rear wheel 3500 cutaway with a 4.8 gasser the oil changes are cheaper parts are cheap and it cost the same to fill up as my sprinter and I'm getting anywhere from 16 to 17 miles per gallon and the motor is not broken in yet.

guido4475

Not a Member
Man 500k on the original engine is a lot of miles. So I get the feeling a all 4 engines are solid choices. Although nobodies mentioned the 4.6 lol

A 4.6 ford v-8 isn't as common as a 5.4. At least in a 250 or 350. But a 4.6 is a good engine. They put those in the police interceptor crown vics. With a few tweaks here and there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app