Which is the better truck?

gojack

Expert Expediter
Which is the better long term truck?

A new Pete 335 ISC 315HP Cummins,Autoshift engine brake, air ride, 33K GVW at about $65,000 Small Bentz sleeper adds 5,000 = about 70,000

A Used 2000 KENWORTH T800, C-12 Caterpillar 330 HP, Autoshift, Engine Brake, 4 Bag Air Ride Suspension, 42" Flat Top Sleeper, 24.5 Tires, All Tandem Axle, 210,000 miles, Truck is like new. well maintained $45,000 Stretched for 7,000 = About $52,000

Any idea of fuel usage on the c-12 Cat?

Dave

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The T800's are a steel haulers favorite, a bulletproof truck, and so is the Cat C12. Fuel mileage will not be that of the ISC Cummins for similar HP, but the C12's torque will beat the pants off the ISC. For the prices you mention, with interest at 10% over 5 years, the used T800 will cost you about $450 less a month than the new Pete 335.

But, say the C12 gets 7 MPG and the ISC 9 MPG (Probably close figures.) If you run 8000 miles a month with fuel at 2.00/gal, the ISC would save you over $500 a month on fuel. About a break-even there on price vs. fuel savings.

With a new truck, you do get new truck warranties. I would guess that after 5 years, even with the mileage on the T800, the two will have a nearly identical resale at the end of 5 years, if they are kept up well. Myself, I would prefer the new truck, and one that is not a stretch job, with full long factory frame. I think the advantage in this case goes to the new 335. JMO!

Happy Holidays,
Weave

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The numbers on the 335 seem a little low. Are those good numbers?

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I failed to make that guess. That would make sense although the figure for a Bentz unit seems low as well. Maybe it's correct and I just don't know what they go for.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
One other thing... the front axel on the KW is going to be way heavy. And a longer nose isn't the best thing on a straight truck. A T-600 is better because the nose is shorter and sloped. Are you limited to those two?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You might be thinking of a long nose KW like the W900 Hawk. The T800 is a snubby-nose tractor, much like the T600, and makes a great straight truck, with a front axle weight similar to that of a Freightliner Century or Columbia. With tandem drive specs, getting overweight on the front axle shouldn't be a problem.
http://www.kenworth.com/2100_vir_t800.asp

Happy Holidays, drinking this eggnog my father makes with lighter fluid,
-Weave-

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If it was only those two, I would go with the Pete. Essentially for the same reasons that Weave posted. In addition, the used truck may be in great shape but small items will have to be replaced sooner. Minor ones like alternators, batteries, belts, tires ect. A certain cost that would have to be factored as well.
Davekc

gojack

Expert Expediter
Question is New/"cheaper" truck
OR Older "expensive" truck

Without Box correct.
Mr Bentz said his small sleeper was $4200
(Solo, not out for more than a night)

Driving to be more local, estimating 250/day 1500/week

My new choice is Pete 335,
numbers are good
Base 335 6spd spring is $45k Loaded $54K Dual $69K
Nothing else stacks up?

Used Paccar is my example of a Bullet proof class 8
for a low miles well maintained 1 owner truck

Hard to find a older road tractor w/ low miles

Other choices could be Volvo/Cummins
T600 etc., I do not see a big difference from
cost/maintaince/resale.

My spreadsheet, attempting to include everything from
intrest rates to deprecation gives + $200 a month advantage
to the Pete using the 6 and 9 MPG, assuming all else
but purchase price constant(@9%).

Pete 335 Links for photos:
http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...=804246&guid=894DB489D41C47E0B13041C224125AC9

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...=744550&guid=894DB489D41C47E0B13041C224125AC9
T800 Link for photos:

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...=817436&guid=191CF9BC790548E986515F99B1184905

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just have to put in my 2 cents worth. Pete 335 is no-brainer. You could try JXE-Waukesha, WI. Pat Lynkwitz. 800-558-0524. I did everything over the phone and fax. You could get a used-like new sleeper from S & J Truck 260-749-5831 Loren. Probably a 48" smallest and save a lot of $$. You're ##/s are not far off. My chassis was $60 and fully equipped. 63" sleeper with air-suspension & American class interior. Whole shot with used 24' box (3 yrs old) was $70. I will see 9-9.5 or 10, but not quite yet with only 27K miles.

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would go with the new Pete. You come right out of the chute with a warranty. You don't have to worry about any underlying problems that may arise with a used truck. Stretches are okay. I have one. But, if done incorrectly. You will have problems. The new truck can be spec'ed with the right wheel base from the factory.