so sorry if this wrong place, but could not find intruduction area

forgive english as i am new to being citizen

can anyone print on this sight or is it to special members only

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
so sorry if this wrong place, but could not find intruduction area

forgive english as i am new to being citizen

can anyone print on this sight or is it to special members only

Welcome to EO.As long as you have something to say good or bad,you can post on this site,also welcome to the USA.I have a question for you though.Did you just get your citizenship,or just green card?

khalid2009

Seasoned Expediter
yes i live here for 2 years and went thro study to become citizen

if i only had green card could i not print here

have straight truck and only big truck driver ask about green card

i don;t now why

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

i don;t now why

my question was because my co driver is from Armania and has green card,and I was wandering what he will have to do to get his citizenship

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Art has been in states for 9 years,has had green card,for 4 years,is he able to file this year or next or dont you know

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

i don;t now why

I'm sure anyone in the world that could get on the internet could post here . I belong to trucking forums that have regular members from Europe and Australia .

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
i was wondering about this

"if i only had green card could i not print here"

this is the USA anybody can say anything,might not be a good idea to post anti-American stuff if your trying to get in but generally anything goes.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I had a friend that worked with me in a shop north of Detriot that was from Poland that was studying to become an American citizen.

I must say that he worked his but off everyday trying to read and speak English and to learn all he could about American history, he'd even watch your mouth when you talked to him so that he could pronounce the words correctly and when it came to history...well I've got to say he could put most Americans in the dust with his knowledge.

The day after he took the oath of allegiance he came to work just a bundle of excitement with his eyes watering and thrilled as could be...because he finally became an American.

This took him about 5 years to accomplish and that's why it makes me so mad when our government says surely we can't deport 12 million illegals....well start with 2-3 million and work from there.

Welcome!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
hes not married to american,if he was could do it in 3 years,but law is 5 after getting green card,and there is a time limit for that.Hes from Armania,has his whole family here now.He speaks pretty good English,knows are laws,and is up to date with his taxes.Next year he will be naturalized and will be very happy

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I wonder why they call it a green card when it's not green.

My wife has had her green card for a few years now and is studying for naturalization. I can't wait. I think I'm as excited as she is.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I wonder about silly stuff like that, too, and when I first saw a green card that wasn't green, I decided to find out why. Prior to the passage of the Internal Security Act in 1950, there were several different kinds of cards that aliens could have, depending on their status. In 1940 current aliens had to register at the Post Office, and after WW II that was changed to be a part of the normal immigration process at ports of entry. A current alien received an AR-3 Alien Registration Receipt Card, which merely meant they were registered, but had no determination of legal or illegal status. Other Receipt Cards were issued to visitors, temporary foreign workers, students, etc. All of these Receipts Cards had different numbers and different titles, and they were all different colors. And it was confusing to aliens, immigration attorneys, employers, immigration officials, everybody.

With the 1950 Internal Security Act, the "Golden Ticket" of immigration Receipt Cards became the Alien Registration Receipt Card for Lawful Permanent Residents Form I-151, and was green in color. Just as I-151's were only issued to Lawful Permanent Residents entering through ports, only aliens with legal status could have their old AR-3 replaced with an I-151. Unlike today, employers in the 1950's would not hire an alien without a I-151, so being able to convert your AR-3 into the I-151 card of a Lawful Permanent Resident was a big deal.

Because of the confusion and the length of the card titles, and many new immigrants still struggling with English where the formal titles of the various cards was a nightmare to comprehend, everyone, including immigration officials, began referring to the Alien Registration Receipt Card for Lawful Permanent Residents Form I-151 simply as the "green card."

The term "green card" designated not only the document itself, but also the official status desired by so many legal non-immigrants (students, tourists, temporary workers) and undocumented (illegal) aliens. The status became so desirable that counterfeit Form I-151's became a problem.

To combat document fraud, the INS issued 19 different designs of the I-151 between its introduction in the 1940's and its complete revision in 1977. One alteration to the design in the 60's was to change the color of the card to a pale blue, and then a year later change it to a dark blue. Regardless of color, the I-151 still carried with it the benefits indicated by the term "green card," and those who wanted, obtained, issued, or inspected I-151's continued to refer to it by that name.

The changes made in 1977 include machine readability, and the form number has changed a few times to its current I-551 ('cause leaving it at I-151 would make too much sense). It's been issued in a rainbow of colors, including multicolors like pink and blue. For a short time it was officially a "salmon" color, until someone stepped in who likely feared seeing future cards being issued in a plethora of LL Bean Catalog colors like sea foam, sand, auburn, mauve and heather.

Green cards, pink slips and yellow journalism, they've all got their storied and colorful histories. But at least the Green Card is one you can now file away in your junk drawer of useless trivia.