Where do you CV drivers sleep during this polar vortex cold weather?

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
Are you CV drivers sleeping in your van or staying in a motel while you wait for a run? It's gotta be brutal if you're sleeping in your van. I know it's slow out there.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
in the van....the cold has no effect......The Espar heater is just right for the job...good insulation, good heater....no problem.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my cube van .....the other night in Fargo , Nd... -7 outside 65 inside my 6x7 sleeping area on medium Big Buddy heater....:D

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Who came up with "polar vortex" anyway? I thought it was global warm... err... cooling.
It's a weather feature that's been known for decades (first discovered in 1853). It's a low pressure system, like a tropical depression, tropical storm, a cyclone or hurricane, only it's over the poles. It's just a well-defined rotation, but it's way up there in the troposphere or the stratosphere. It's also one of several semi-permanent weather systems hanging over the earth. Every now and then, once a decade or so, a part of it breaks ranks and dips down the latitudes.

A few weeks ago we had a polar vortex do just that, and it was first, of course, the Weather Channel that jumped all over it. As a result of that, and the fact that the term just rolls off even the most frigid tongue, the polar vortex is getting its 15 minutes of fame.

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
As a result of that, and the fact that the term just rolls off even the most frigid tongue, the polar vortex is getting its 15 minutes of fame.

I woke up last week and it was -7 at 5 in the morning....to hades with this polar vortex....i'm ready for some tropical vortex!!!

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Who came up with "polar vortex" anyway? I thought it was global warm... err... cooling.

I'm wondering when winter storms started getting names? Up until this winter I never remember hearing of a Snow storm having a name. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention :)

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm wondering when winter storms started getting names? Up until this winter I never remember hearing of a Snow storm having a name. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention :)

I think it started in the Dakotas ....lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Two winters ago The Weather Channel started naming winter storms as a marketing gimmick. The National Weather Service and NOAA are not pleased. They're not pleased because it's stupid.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Two winters ago The Weather Channel started naming winter storms as a marketing gimmick. The National Weather Service and NOAA are not pleased. They're not pleased because it's stupid.

Thanks for the info I thought my memory was really starting to slip.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
This is just a few cold snaps...-35 with a windchill of -50...winds at 40 Mph...snowing so hard I cant see the end of the hood, sitting in a Lowes Parking lot, enjoying some Olive Garden and watching TV...My biggest concern is the wind/snow and the exhaust pipe getting covered which has happened already, so I try to position the truck in a way that inhibits that...in Wisconsin...

Cold weather turns boiling water to snow: Eric Holthaus video in Wisconsin.

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
This is just a few cold snaps...-35 with a windchill of -50...winds at 40 Mph...snowing so hard I cant see the end of the hood, sitting in a Lowes Parking lot, enjoying some Olive Garden and watching TV...My biggest concern is the wind/snow and the exhaust pipe getting covered which has happened already, so I try to position the truck in a way that inhibits that...in Wisconsin...

Cold weather turns boiling water to snow: Eric Holthaus video in Wisconsin.

I'm in Wisconsin I see no snow falling.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
In the van. Heater does great with furniture pad curtains.

OK, got the van high top and was wondering about this. Will need to get something temporary up for curtains...both behind the seats, and between me and freight area.

What is the W X L of those pads Murray? Got the double buddy heater, so we'll be fine until I can get this thing done right. Got it....

http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/moving-supplies.html

Nice thing is, can always use these for something later. Sweet idea, thanks. :cool:

Last edited:

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
By the way....anybody got in any info on the adhesive backed insulation? Heard about it, and self adhesion properties make for easy quick fix? Just need to do my sleep area for now. It's cold! :p

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I've gotten awesome thick furniture blankets from McMaster Carr great quality high cost buy once cry once!