Where did it go?

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I've seen like 4-5 post lately that have been deleted or something. What's going on? Are we now going to have are post deleted if it's something the mod's don't agree with? I hate censorship, what I hate more it forums with rules so ##### stupid - I.e. don't post this or that, don't talk about this, etc. Anyone else noticing this?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I noticed this too, I hate it when it happens just as I hate things being locked when there is 'too much' discussion going on or when opinions are, well rather heated.

But I also have to defend the right of a site to do so, we don't own the site and free speech laws don't apply when you have someone who owns something that you are using by their good graces.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, what they said! What ever happened to that short lived piece on bobblehead dolls. Seems like a good time to revive that one.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
themagicoen,

I don't know what posts you are referring to specially - but we do moderate our forums. That is nothing new and nothing has changed. It's been that way since 1999. Please see the terms of agreement when you joined.

If you jump on the Interstate - you can hardly go 100 miles and not see a highway patrolman.

Why is he there?

To keep everyone civil and on their best behavior.

We try to keep our moderation fair and equitable for all – our number one goal is keep our forums an informational and enjoyable community - when topics begin to deviate from that goal we may moderate that topic.

While that is not practice of every forum on the www – you will notice the one’s that last for years and years, have credibility and are informational always have an active moderator crew.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Music soothes the savage beast - unless it's polka.

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in the garage makes you a car

You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ACHTUNG!!! Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfuseen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I understand moderation and what not, I've been on here for almost a year now but I haven't seen post being deleted or locked like they have been recently before.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Hell you gotta take in account the liable aspect of free speech...
For instance some uptight white collar elite being might take offense to your inability to promote sames agenda.
Said hypothetical individual (instead of taking tongue and cheek) decides hey there may be a potential lawsuit here and harrangs the very host that allows same unfettered access to a forum for the masses without fear of reprisal.
(Take a breath Mike)
Anywho the point is when you invest this much effort and time to build a site as great as EO "why take the chance that" or send an invitation to some truck driving non legal practicing knucklehead to give you a headache with senseless, frivolous jibber jabber?
As for me I love humor and yes I love expedite, I may ebb and flow like the tide but the water is always warm.
If your questions aren't answered or your feeling slighted cause your content is a little racy PM me and I will be at your beck and call.. PS For the record I think some of the finest mods in the biz are right here furthermore I realize they do it because they love the biz not the money SOOOOO I guess I would be remiss if I didn't offer a word of thanks for all you guys do and even moreso for putting up with my shenanigans....
Bobble Obble

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I learned of this website and another at the same time. The other was not moderated, anything goes. It was very bothersome sifting through the bovine excrement to read the handful of useful posts that were there. That site is no longer active. Meanwhile, EO has become the respected on-line destination for Expediters. Keeping things civil has everything to do with that.

The perception that something will be deleted just because management doesn't agree with what's being said just isn't true. The same is true of locking threads. As long as the debate is constructive, and not a major flame fest, we've seen them go on for quite some time. Both of these issues can be proven in threads from recent months. Remember the recent Panther discussions?

Anyway, just my $.02.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Lawrence and Kim made some very good points, and reading between the lines, I think Mike did too.

Nothing is removed because we disagree with what the poster wrote.

We may indeed agree with some things or find them funny on a personal level, but on a professional level, we can't allow them. Are we perfect? No way. Do we slip up and stick our own personal opinions in? Of course. That's why we have more than one mod, so we can 'police' our selves, and someone can say "Hey Dreamer, did you mean that the way it sounded? etc"

Things are removed if they are against EO posting rules, or are advocating something illegal. Others are removed if it is 'reasonably obvious' they are a personal insult directed at another member, and will probably result in a thread composed of nothing but flaming back and forth. And of course, some things are removed if they are flat out bashing a company and making marks that could potentially be considered lible.

This does not mean, as so many have said, we don't allow bad comments about comanies. Look back thru our 75,000 plus posts, and you will see plenty of complaints! The problem comes when someone says 'X company IS this... they DID this, they ARE breaking the law, Etc" Then it goes beyond opinion, to 'statement of fact'.

Then, said company X looks at our forums (and beleive me, they do) and they see these statements of 'fact'. They can't get to you, you're just a screen name. But they sure know who Expediters Online and Lawrence McCord are! So guess who gets the heat for allowing the potentially libelous statements to stand as public record?

You got it.. the phones start ringing.

We do our best to allow our members to express their opinions, but there must always be limits, dictated by good taste, and what is legal.

We've built, in my opinion, one of the most civil, professional, and long lasting forums you can find. People don't come here for flame fests. They come here to get good information and to interact with the best in the industry, our members.

Thanks to all our members for their participation, and to our moderators who VOLUNTEER their time to keep these forums flowing.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"You cannot tailor make the situations in life, but you can tailor make the attitudes to fit those situations before they arise"

Zig Ziglar

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Well i agree. fella what is going on here at the **** I feel **** and further more those guys at ******* have no business doing ************ *****!!!. and ******* You see this is not the **** im *** going***** and *** to ****** find ****
if you need to contact me call me at (***) ***-****. anytime to ****
this By the way I have a picture from that Airforce chic posted at my web site at *** ********.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Allright !!!! how the H**L is doing the redacting here... this isnt right and I demand *********** this aint funny guys come on

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
LOL.. Thanks Joe bob.. I needed that!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"You cannot tailor make the situations in life, but you can tailor make the attitudes to fit those situations before they arise"

Zig Ziglar

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
No Prob.. It just gets funny some times I use to manage restaraunts.. when you manage something with employs or web sites ...some days you just have a target on your back...