Where are we gonna put them and support them......? the Migrants are coming!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Which ignores teachers potential exposure to other adults.

#tunnelvision
It really doesn't, as long as the teachers are the responsible adults in the room and engage in the science of isolating, distancing, masking and the other measures which front line medical workers practice every day.

My niece is a music teacher and choir director in a school system that has been fully open and operating since last August. You can literally count on one hand how many teachers have tested positive for covid. They all engage in the proper measures to keep everybody safe.

One of my best friends is a professor at the University, where it gets trickier because you're dealing with mostly adults and not little kids. All of his classes all year long have been in-person, with ridiculously low infection rates. To date, he's the only person in his department, students included, that has tested positive. His only symptoms were he could only taste salty and sweet but no flavors, and he had a slight fever for one day which prompted him getting tested. He isolated at home for 10 days (coincidentally over Christmas break) and went back to work, so he didn't miss any classes.

Reactions: davekc and muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, you get your own cookie. Linking to an article on healthcare worker deaths doesn't refute what I said. At all.

In addition, the vast majority of those 2,900 healthcare workers died in the first 4 months of the pandemic before proper safety protocols were developed and put into place. Since then the number of healthcare workers dying or even becoming infected is a tiny fraction of those first few months.

And lastly, "Ohhh, lookie, here's a big number!" is meaningless, unless it's in the proper context. 2,900 looks like a big number, but in the context of frontline healthcare workers who are part of the Initial Priority Population for COVID-19 Vaccinations, i.e., those who have direct and indirect patient contact or direct or indirect contact with those who do, including nursing home and home healthcare, it's a staggeringly small number. This number of healthcare workers is 19.7 million. These people spend all day steeped in coronavirus, and yet they have died at an astonishing rate of only 0.01472 percent of the Healthcare Initial Priority Population.

Death rates and survival rates within the general population are impossible to nail down while you're still in the middle of a pandemic. Deaths and reporting of deaths lag behind the identification of new cases, sometimes for months, so you never quite catch up with knowing who has ‘survived’ unless there is a set time period that you can look, such as what happens with five-year survival rates in cancers, or when the disease finally goes away and we can look back at the pandemic as a whole. Looking back at the time frames from which meaningful data can be used, by all accounts, including that of the world's most preeminent and trusted immunologist, Dr. Antohony Fauci, the death rate in the US ranges between 0.75 and 1.5 percent.

That means the general population is drying from COVID-19 at a rate of between 51 and 102 times that of healthcare workers who are swimming in the stuff for a living.

It also means, at the risk of repeating myself, that as long as the teachers are the responsible adults in the room and engage in the science of isolating, distancing, masking and the other measures which front line medical workers practice every day, teachers can safely and effectively do their jobs. That's the exact opposite of, how did you put it? Oh, yeah, of having the hashtag-tunnelvision of ignoring the teachers' potential exposure to other adults.

Reactions: muttly