Where are the unemployed drivers?

PlusServices

Seasoned Expediter
I would first check with Truck Driving Schools in your area. There are also Recruiting Services available but most of them charge a fee. I have seen a big decline in potential drivers this year and I don't think the situation will improve. With CSA2010 just around the corner I think that will make recruiting even harder. My suggestion is to bring something to the table that other OO's are not offering. Treat potential drivers with respect and have the answers to all potential questions. We are coming into a new era in the transportation industry and must run our businesses in a professional manner. A potential driver will be talking to many OO's and there perception of the company they are considering driving for must present a professional image. We must always remember we are running a business.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Anybody know where to find experienced T\T drivers?

I usually go thru the truck driving schools.My co driver for the last 4 years came that way.He's not from the states,has much better work ethic than anyone I've ever had work with me.In fact he mwkes me work more than I want to,but the money is much better this way

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Try contacting your local VA Representative if your looking to put someone to work..
Hire a Vet...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hey not to shake the tree but is this thread on the level or is it a plant for advertising?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
All right I admit it..I was advertising..
Hire either U.S. or Canadian Vets. They need work right now..I think you will find Quality ppl,, Motived ppl,,and ppl with the will to learn. And there is a good chance someone coming out of the armed forces is somewhat mechanical inclined which is a big plus in this business. So unless ya got a family member ya want to put to work I say
Give a Vet a job. He or she may have saved yours.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
This week has been a crazy Id would have done better and went to the unemployment office.

Freight is up then its down then its up then its down.

like a YO YO!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Kevin, if your ready to make some real money call me.my co just quit,and that guy looking for a tt driver,my ex co is in Orlando, suitcase in hand, smoking a cigarette that was more important than his 1000 dollars a week job

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Kevin, if your ready to make some real money call me.my co just quit,and that guy looking for a tt driver,my ex co is in Orlando, suitcase in hand, smoking a cigarette that was more important than his 1000 dollars a week job

That might not be a good idea to co with someone you already know.. I probably don't need to elaborate on the potential outcome.. but if you do, you'll have to make it part of the agreement that neither party gets to badmouth the other or vent on EO! ;)

As for the other thing, I've heard it said that smoking is more addictive than cocaine. This won't be popular, but have some compassion man! Some people just get DREADful when they're quitting (and they don't tend to know this about themselves either). He may not have intentionally been trying to quit, but if he were being deprived of enough of his fix, he could've just blown unintentionally.

from U of Minnesota:
Tobacco is as addictive as heroin (as a mood & behavior altering agent).
  • Nicotine is:
    • 1000 X more potent than alcohol
    • 10-100 X more potent than barbiturates
    • 5-10 X more potent than cocaine or morphine
  • A 1-2 pack per day smoker takes 200-400 hits daily for years. This constant intake of a fast acting drug (which affects mood, concentration & performance).. eventually produces dependence.
Pressures to relapse are both behaviorally & pharmacologically triggered.
Quitting involves a significantly serious psychological loss... a serious life style change.
Division of Periodontology: Tobacco Use Cessation Program

from Wiki:
According to the American Heart Association, nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break, while the pharmacological and behavioral characteristics that determine tobacco addiction are similar to those that determine addiction to drugs such as heroin and cocaine.
Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
pjjj the guys been with me for 4 years.he's not trying to quit smoking,I don't care if he smoke,just not in my truck.It's always been that way for 4 years.When he came back to the truck,and I told him we had toi go,he then decided to smoke the cigarette,he could have done it before comming back to the truck.Anyway I said we had to go,he lit the cigarette, i started the truck,he said I quit.so I called the company,told them top show me solo,now I pick up a load top deliver Monday,has rather long dead head,but takes me home so I can find anotyher driver.Meanwhile Art now has to pay for his ride home