when you are retiring

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I'll share my experience to give you some food for thought. I started drawing my SS entitlement at age 62. The simple math at the time showed a net loss for me would not occur until I were to reach age 72. As a van O/O, I took advantage of the generous IRS deductions and never saw a net profit that met the maximum SS earning penalty which was $17K + at the time. When I started to draw early SS, I was fortunate to have been financially stable enough to not need the SS money so, in lieu of spending it, I invested it. Meanwhile, At age 65 +, I started a salaried position so, each year I continued to pay SS taxes. Each November. I received an SS notice that my monthly SS payment wound increase by a few dollars. In addition, we usually get a small COLA increase each January. Therefore, the SS money from 62 to 65 plus the investment earnings will not be less than that which I could have received at age 65 until I'm in my 80's.

In summary, If you don't need the money at the current minimum age, do the math and consider a plan to invest the $70,000+ in an instrument that will benefit you later.

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I now work part time, since I took early social security at 63. Now after expenses I can make 17,040 before they take1 for evey 2 I make over the 17,040.
Now if I still doing this after I turn 66 then I can make as much as I like.

That's not true anymore. My 71 year old girlfriend who still works just found that out this week when she went to do her taxes. The tax law on that has changed. I suggest you look into it.

If there was that big of change, AARP would have been posting that change, they haven’t that I’ve seen. Neither has any other group, that I’ve seen. Heck the SSA hasn’t even put that on their website.
Also all groups representing older people would have been up in arms before the bill would have been voted on by Congress.
I now work part time, since I took early social security at 63. Now after expenses I can make 17,040 before they take1 for evey 2 I make over the 17,040.

That's not true anymore. My 71 year old girlfriend who still works just found that out this week when she went to do her taxes. The tax law on that has changed. I suggest you look into it.

I should add that any changes to social security under the new tax law wouldn’t be for 2017 taxes but 2018 taxes you file in 2019

Just saying y'all better check it out. She was set up on a tax plan for 2018 to send in tax money quarterly.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been Paying in (playing) into my special retirement plan for a few years.. I 've had some small returns, but the Powerball Jackpot has eluded me ....

☠.. Online courses now available for Pot Stirring

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

If there was that big of change, AARP would have been posting that change, they haven’t that I’ve seen. Neither has any other group, that I’ve seen. Heck the SSA hasn’t even put that on their website.
Also all groups representing older people would have been up in arms before the bill would have been voted on by Congress.

I should add that any changes to social security under the new tax law wouldn’t be for 2017 taxes but 2018 taxes you file in 2019

Just saying y'all better check it out. She was set up on a tax plan for 2018 to send in tax money quarterly.

Hope she got good advice from someone competent. Part timers, like H&R Block sometimes get it wrong.
I had a CPA recommended by a friend that owned a drugstore, do me wrong.
I called my new accountant who couldn’t find see me for 6 month’s.
We filed an extension, and sent 50% of what the first guy thought.
Got about 1/2 of it back.
Have used same accountant for about 15 years.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Hope she got good advice from someone competent. Part timers, like H&R Block sometimes get it wrong.
I had a CPA recommended by a friend that owned a drugstore, do me wrong.
I called my new accountant who couldn’t find see me for 6 month’s.
We filed an extension, and sent 50% of what the first guy thought.
Got about 1/2 of it back.
Have used same accountant for about 15 years.
In 1999 my wife and I moved back home to Michigan from Houston. Was talking one day to my father in-law about finding a good CPA to do my taxes. He suggested to use his since he had a part time summer business. Come to find out this CPA’s father used to be a fleet owner, so I knew I had a really good CPA to take care of my trucking adventures.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Please read this it as for 2018 and pay attention to the third paragraph, where it say after making full retirement age you can make as much as you want..

What happens if I work and get Social Security retirement benefits?

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Hers another from the SSA
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10069.pdf

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver

That's all too confusing for me to read and understand. I'm retired and don't work so it doesn't apply to me anyway. Everyone should look into their own situation.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's all too confusing for me to read and understand. I'm retired and don't work so it doesn't apply to me anyway. Everyone should look into their own situation.

You might need to read it , since your girlfriend is getting bad advise from the accountant

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

You might need to read it , since your girlfriend is getting bad advise from the accountant

Actually her GIRLFRIEND needs to read it.
She may have gotten good advice if she took her retirement before full retirement age.
If she waited, she probably did get bad advice.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Actually her GIRLFRIEND needs to read it.
She may have gotten good advice if she took her retirement before full retirement age.
If she waited, she probably did get bad advice.
It depends on what you lose, if you’re getting the max at 66 and if you take it early and you lose 1k a month, maybe it’s best if you wait. It’s all in the numbers. For me it was only about 3 hundred a month because of write offs from business.