"When the rain gets in"

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Has anyone had success in stopping water from getting into Alumibunks frame mounted side boxes?

I've adjusted the latchs added weather stripping even removed the edge weather stripping that came on the box and siliconed the inside of the weather strip and reinstalled it to make sure that water wasn't seeping through there! I've even gone as far as drilling 1/8" holes to let the water drain out in the inside rear of each box!

The only real thing that helps keep my stuff from getting wet is the use of plastic bins I purchased from the hardware store.

The only other place I can see that may be letting water in is around the rivets on the bottom of the doors, and so far I've not come up with a way of sealing them if in fact that's where the water gets in.

Has anyone out there had any luck with this problem?

I know of other owners who have complained of this problem and all are upset and have no remedy either.

Thanks Alot!!! :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had the same problem with my Bentz side box. They put some kind of caulk all around the door opening and then used a heat gun on it. That has taken care of it as far as leakage. There still is the problem of condensation from heating/cooling and there is no solution to that I can think of. It's not enough to ruin anything inside though.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
RE:

Thanks for the come back!

Condensation is also a problem with these boxes, DD and I discussed installing some type of vent which would be located in an area which would'nt be prone to water getting in and the vent having some type of screen to keep out hitch hikers.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
RE:

Yes you have to put the small rv vents on the boxes. Condensation will be worse on trucks that have the exhaust running along the frame rail verses stacks. Heating and cooling is the major culprit.
Davekc
owner
20 years

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
RE:

I have a similar problem. My bunk-o-junk is getting a wet bunk carpet everytime it rains. I've plugged what holes I could find underneath, but it's still getting damp. We've checked the sideboxes, but they're dry. Is anyone else having or has had that problem?

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
RE:

Which type truck do you have?

I have a 2003 7400 International and was having problems with wet bunk floor as well! what I found to be the problem was when someone passed me when it was raining their spray blew up into my frigs. vent on the drivers side which ran out into the sleeper floor.

After a few trys and piece of sheet metal and some duct tape to divert the water from coming in the problem has gone away plus there's not as much cold air getting in through that vent.

That vent is almost completely sealed off (on the inside) now with duct tape because the frig.seems to get enough air through the vents above and below the frig. door.

Hope this helps!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
RE:

I have an FL-106. What you're saying makes sense. One of the vent shutters are broken off. I'll try it and let you know if it works. Thanx.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
RE:

There was a post some time ago with someone having that same problem. In addition, he indicated in the winter his fridge would freeze up. I think AB should revent the unit through the sleeper and remove the outside vent all together.
Just my opinion
Davekc
owner
20 years