When do you Sleep/

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Moose: that statement has EVERYTHING to do with reality - it's when we let ourselves be pushed by the 'needs' of the customer, the carrier, or anyone else who's butt isn't in the driver's seat that we get stupid, and risk our lives along with others to be on time.

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Howdy

Back in the day, when my wife and I were running team. We would stay out for two or three months at a time, and we would take advantage of those weekend layovers to catch a motel room (if the price was right) just a chance to recharge the batteries and see some sights.

Of course that was back in the day of being able to split your sleeper berth time, and our 5 on, 5 off kept us pretty refreshed. I could never sleep more that 4 or 5 hours with the truck running anyway.

We considered getting back into expediting, but the forced 10 hour stuff just wasn't going to work for us, well at least without going back to the creative logging 101 class.

The good old days!!!

Kevin

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Cheri wrote:

When I notice myself getting more annoyed than usual at the stupid/selfish/rude drivers, I know I'm too tired to keep driving, & need to sleep before my eyes begin going out of focus.

Wow that ALMOST fits me and is also when I know I need to shut it down for awhile. The ALMOST part, my eyes down go out of focus, they pop out of my head and I start to throw things around in the van! I hate looking for pliers and screw drivers and wrenchs later when i need them...........and sleeping on them isn't really comfortable either....

flattop40

Expert Expediter
I have adjusted my sleep pattern. To give you an example I did not get a run yesterday however I was up till 4am this morining then slept till 2pm.

I have found the majority of runs are dispatched in the afternnon and the good runs make you run all night. Its just like working a 3rd shift job.

Less fatigue this way.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
I guess I must be a light weight..Usually after being out 2 weeks I will treat myself to a Motel room for a night just to get out of the truck, and regroup. It does my demeanor and out look alot of good and I dont get so burnt out... I usually sleep after I get to the cons and when Im empty I take a lot of naps so if I get one of those overnighters Im well rested.

lol We're a team so I probably don't count ;) but usually after being in the truck for 2 or three months I'll treat myself to a night or two at home always better then a motel room and much more comfortable! lol Sure wish I could afford a night or two after 2 weeks. :D

mikeangel

Seasoned Expediter
I'm new to expediting, but all my life I've done better on less sleep. If I sleep 8 hours or more I feel like crap,so 5 or lee hours is usually good for me. Usually once a month I might get a hotel room, but since I'm with a different owner driving a unit that doesn't leak when It rains staying in the van Isn't so bad.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
in the 5th post turtle talks about safety,but i havent read where the HOS dictates how long you can drive.I realize you van guys dont have to log,an are given longer loads,but driving tired isnt an option.If your running solo you have to live with the 14 hour clock,this can and sometimes will stop you from doing your job

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok this is not to encourage anyone. Their is a pill , a stimulant approved by the U.S. Air force and the FDA, all U.S. Railroads and their UNIONS that is given to keep pilots awake for certain flight missions as well as railroad engineers. If taken right, you can be awake and suffer no ill effects for up to 40 hrs without sleep and minimal degradation of your abilities and sences. You will not "crash" and sleep for days after its use and you will function totally normal.

Modafinil / Provigil

It is VERY EXPENSIVE and only available in the U.S. only from a doctor, you can buy it online, and there is also a generic, it also works. Yea there are some side affects in some people, puking, a skin rash, nothing terrible. Them last time I bought it was a few yrs ago, I haven't used it since and if i remember I had to buy 100 , 100 milg, pills at a time and they ran around $8 a pill.

Again, I am NOT telling you to run out and get it and use it, the DOT might not take well to it, but with its use by the U.S. military and the Railroads, I'd bet you could win in court. All I can tell you is that IT WORKS......From there, it is up to you...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I remember reading a news account of a jet pilot who mistakenly bombed a civilian location in Germany, years ago. I was flabbergasted to read that the pilot had been given amphetemines by his commanding officer - apparently SOP for certain personnel in the armed forces. As America was then engaged in a vigorous "War against drugs", I thought it incredibly hypocritical, to say the least.
I hope that any driver taking prescription medication has informed the prescribing MD of the fact that they drive for a living - failure to do so could cause headaches even Excedrin won't help.....

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok this is not to encourage anyone. Their is a pill , a stimulant approved by the U.S. Air force and the FDA, all U.S. Railroads and their UNIONS that is given to keep pilots awake for certain flight missions as well as railroad engineers. If taken right, you can be awake and suffer no ill effects for up to 40 hrs without sleep and minimal degradation of your abilities and sences. You will not "crash" and sleep for days after its use and you will function totally normal.

Modafinil / Provigil

It is VERY EXPENSIVE and only available in the U.S. only from a doctor, you can buy it online, and there is also a generic, it also works. Yea there are some side affects in some people, puking, a skin rash, nothing terrible. Them last time I bought it was a few yrs ago, I haven't used it since and if i remember I had to buy 100 , 100 milg, pills at a time and they ran around $8 a pill.

Again, I am NOT telling you to run out and get it and use it, the DOT might not take well to it, but with its use by the U.S. military and the Railroads, I'd bet you could win in court. All I can tell you is that IT WORKS......From there, it is up to you...

Do you have narcolepsy:?

The military use somthing else its Vites Min and Antidoxents
in Liquid form.
The Pri is 1500 C brite eye and busy tailed, Vite B2,6,12, Complex with Biotin as this Kicker Energy, A,D Stong bones and Ginko increase the oxygen to the Brain with Ginsing with royal Jelly and Been Pollen which are energy as well and
Yohimbie 1500 mg liquid which is a natural muscle strengthener.
Bilberry and Luthem as well for night sight.
Vite E and The Potassim liquid is taken at Sleep time for muscle Leg Cramps ect.
Then You also have the Std B-12 shot you get.
sounds like somebody holding on to the old colt revoler too long
best go to the 9mm semi auto or the 40mm have a nice day
by the way.

Liquid vites get absorbed into your system faster than a hard pill which 90% come out the other end of ya.
have fun on bivwac.
see ya on R&R.

Sleep time commences when U secured the load and its your turn to hit the bunk. Or you been dispatched and your in a lay over stat to get your 10.
other wise was one Eyed williey waiten. HG

Last edited: