When a truck/driver sits/takes a break for 4 weeks why does Qualcomm have to Collect?

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
Re: When a truck/driver sits/takes a break for 4 weeks why does Qualcomm have to Coll

I somtmes have customer ask abbout satelite tracking. Usualy I answer thier questions with the following question. Why do you need tracking.
If its location I answer I will a give them phone call every few hours. If its spec-com or high value I offer a certrificate of insurance and offer additional coverage.

If that dosent do the trick then they dont trust me and I dont want to work for them. Im not down with the Big Brother thing.

Bob Wolf.

Bob, that is the great thing about America and being in business for yourself. You can set the rules that you are willing to live by.

Personally, I could careless and would never pass up loads from NLM or some of the other accounts that require this. But if any of my O/O's said they don't want this then that is there business to run how they see fit. They are the captains of their ship and can decide when and how they run, within the law.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: When a truck/driver sits/takes a break for 4 weeks why does Qualcomm have to Coll

If I decline the work I do it politely and say I dont have enough demand for the service to justify expense. If i'm a douche bag about it I can guarentee they wont call, and a false bad reputation will get arround. I guess i'm old school because I belive service and reputation is stronger than technology.

Bob Wolf

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

When you answer a question with a question, if it is done in order to let the questioner realize that they can find the answer they seek by close logic and reasoning, that is called maieutics (may-yoo-ticks - also called the Socratic Method of reasoning). When you do it for any other reason, it's generally viewed as confrontational, adversarial, evasive, or rude. Might be best to answer a simple yes/no question with a simple "yes" or "no."

I'm just sayin'

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Somtimes the question for a question is a result of a not right gut feeling when they ask about Q/C.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I have a couple times thought about the Q/C. I would probably consider it if it were to land a major contract.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Re: k for 4 weeks why does Qualcomm have to Collect?

So when your qc breaks and they install a new one that's free to the customer? When you need a new scanner, a new antenna. What about the cost of an install guy on staff or a building for him to do the work. Saying they make that much profit is like saying you dint have fuel expense after buying a truck.

Yes, there are some potential expenses to account for and if you own your own you are on your own. How many years is it between service needs for the average user? How many never need service? Also, most carriers don't have a full time "install guy" on staff or a building. I suspect those that do are doing so because of the exorbitant rate they charge and the huge profits they are making off their usurious fee.

Three weeks QC profits per year pays the "install guy" $1000 per week salary. Ten weeks QC profits builds and equips their on site install building. Oh, and we didn't include the "fee" for removal of the equipment should you ever leave the company. Oh, and with 30-40% more units average than the 1k I used the profits are that much higher.

bobwg

Expert Expediter

Lets see QC has been around since the 1990s I was driving at Schneider and people were crying and *****ing back then. My suggestion is if you dont like QC dont sign on with a company that has the system. As for taking time off did you bother to ask about them giving you a break on the charges for the time off?? I for one dont care if they track me and here at Landstar if an agent sees a load and can take a few seconds to find out thru QC that I am in the area escpecially if I am moving then better chance for me to get a load

BigBadBill

Active Expediter

I have a couple times thought about the Q/C. I would probably consider it if it were to land a major contract.

Look into Macropoint. They have a single use option that works off the smart phone. Think it is a great up-charge option and allows you to gain access to larger accounts via some brokers.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter

hey i've had QC , sprint thingy and now I,m on simple phone call and text // and some tracking by phone updates me every 2 hrs/// hey I'll take the system I'm on now I call tell them were I'm at what i want to do// and I get a phone call [there's a load picking up how much do you want to do it for}

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I hauled a sixteen million dollar object.
With Macropoint, couldn't I just hand off the phone to my partner in crime,who would drive a dump car towards my destination. This while I head south of Phoenix to sell it to Boris and Natasha ?

I sure on if I had Maxwell Smart on the case I could switch QC components to another truck while going through that conveniently placed tunnel.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

hey i've had QC , sprint thingy and now I,m on simple phone call and text // and some tracking by phone updates me every 2 hrs/// hey I'll take the system I'm on now I call tell them were I'm at what i want to do// and I get a phone call [there's a load picking up how much do you want to do it for}

But you won't see that load right around the corner....gotten quite a few loads over the years because a shipper is on the system and can see me right around the corner and they call my carrier to see if I am ready to roll...they want a truck NOW not in 1-2 hours.....instead of the load going thru a load board.... the carrier deals direct.....that there load in itself can help dilute the fees costs..

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A driver for a buddy,(Stout Trucking,Urbana,Il) had a driver flip out and disappear with a trl load of beer.

After stocking his brothers garage,he was located at a local truckstop, retailing it off the trailer.

More beer would have been recovered if they had QC.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter

Or just take out the fuses lol

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I hauled a sixteen million dollar object.
With Macropoint, couldn't I just hand off the phone to my partner in crime,who would drive a dump car towards my destination. This while I head south of Phoenix to sell it to Boris and Natasha ?

I sure on if I had Maxwell Smart on the case I could switch QC components to another truck while going through that conveniently placed tunnel.
Anything can be manipulated. A pair of wire cutters will solve most problems, if your just looking to stop the tracking. In your scenario, all it would take is a little planning ahead. I'm thinking you could transfer the qc unit in less than 15 (probably less than 5) minutes with proper prep time before the event. That's probably where the background checks and references that Cheri mentioned come into play. The carriers likely know more about our reliability than we know..lol. Which, hopefully, is a good thing.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter

Thats dispachs job I've made more money than any where else in the trucking industry with the system I'm on now with this system and less expences and i stil do high value loads JIT loads