Whats the skinny on Fusion?

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey , if Your Happy with that Rate that's All that matters..

Money not Miles

Exactly.
I admitted to making over $2,000/week gross.

If you live in, or come from, a big city where a McDonalds employee makes $15/hour, and you have big city bills, that’s not very good.

BUT, when you come from poverty fly over America, where your McDonald’s worker gets maybe $8/hour, and tell them you’re making that, their jaw drops.

I come from the latter, and I’m quite happy, because where you come from directly effects your cost of living. Every expediter should be aware that prices are different across America, because fuel prices are different across America. How much it costs to maintain a household directly effects how much you’re willing to drive for, or more precisely, be profitable.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
Well all our van O/O make $1.10 a mile plus FSC $.04.....

Is that "all mile pay"??... because that is the real important number, in all reality. A load can pay real good, but throw in the deadhead miles to get that load, and it changes the whole thing. Chasing loads with big miles has been more commonplace as this industry grows with those who have that "at least I'm moving" mentality.

Reactions: Grizzly

Acquisitions

Active Expediter
Recruiter
Ok ...before you get to excited....that is Canadian funds and you need to live in Ontario Canada.....and chase miles are .27 but with 40 vans out there and we all work in a 600 mile radius nobody chases more than 100 miles

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In regards to rates ...

When you're offering services all over the country, literally all lower 48, does it really matter where you live?

Why do some vehicles earn more than others? Simple answer ... because some people offer their services for less money.

A couple of years ago I was speaking to a team that was having a really hard stretch. Really hard. I told them to give a call to my single best carrier. The folks I've been doing business with since day one. I've always kept this information close to the vest but I thought I'd help out this time. I laid it out for them .. who to speak to ... rates ... everything. Told them what my rates were for the past 5 yrs with this company. I gave them a shot to better their situation.

I checked in with them about 2 weeks later & they were signing on. Good. I checked in with them about 6 or 8 wks later ... and they were running for the same crap, cheap, bottom feeder rates they were before!!! Literally 20-30 cents per mi lower than my basement rate.

Couple of observations ...

You can't fix a certain mentality. If people are willing to let themselves get taken advantage of .... unfortunately that's capitalism.

They thought I wouldn't take this personally. Like it's ok to jump on the team and undercut me and all the other guys ..

Reactions: scottm4211

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guido I thought you were done with all this nonsense, living the good life ..
Got restless ..??

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
People always say, you should drive for someone else before getting into expedite for yourself. I drove for a fleet owner, who signed on with Fusion.

I had zero issues with Fusion, and got in lots of loads. They were very kind and patient with me as a new driver, and helpful with the questions I asked.

So, when I decided to go o/o, I called Fusion. Again, they were helpful in getting through the process. Since I’ve signed on, I’ve been rolling, wheels have been turning.

And what rate are those wheels currently spinning for?

I’m averaging $0.70-$0.80 to my part.
Does that rate include fsc (fuel surcharge)?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
People always say, you should drive for someone else before getting into expedite for yourself. I drove for a fleet owner, who signed on with Fusion.

I had zero issues with Fusion, and got in lots of loads. They were very kind and patient with me as a new driver, and helpful with the questions I asked.

So, when I decided to go o/o, I called Fusion. Again, they were helpful in getting through the process. Since I’ve signed on, I’ve been rolling, wheels have been turning.

And what rate are those wheels currently spinning for?

I’m averaging $0.70-$0.80 to my part.
Does that rate include fsc (fuel surcharge)?

Lots of second ... third tier companies don't offer fsc. Fuel surcharge, detention, layover, tolls, etc ... You gotta ask or more accurately negotiate it.

That's why these conversations can get confusing ..

Not to mention the fact that some guys aren't aware their quoting Canadian $ instead of $USD ...

guido4475

Not a Member
Guido I thought you were done with all this nonsense, living the good life ..
Got restless ..??

Sitting too much does something to a person....lol..I was bored..needed fresh entertainment. A good laugh is always a good thing.

Im at home, doing doctors appointments, getting dealer work done on the van, and looking at dumptrucks....lol..a former straight truck expedite fleet owner friend of mine has 9-6 axle dump trucks..not so sure if I wanna do that...

Maybe ill become a dispatcher from hell...lol

Acquisitions

Active Expediter
Recruiter
But why would he or she worry about the exchange rate......his bills, mortgage, payment for his van, etc. are all Canadian and any money they spend in the US is a right-off in their taxes at the end of the year