What's The Potential

jimmyb7766

Seasoned Expediter
Hi,
I am new to this forum, this is my first time here. I started out in the trucking industry several years ago, attending the CR England School. My downfall begun before I even did anything. Enroute to Salt lake, A Flatbed Truck leveled the Greyhound Bus I was on and almost killed me, then my first wife left me, all while trying to get to school and through it. Because I couldn't focus on what I was doing, I became a dangerous driver and was dismissed from the school. They put a mark on a Dac Report as well. A few years ago I tried it again and couldn't get hired by anyone who offered training and had to go drive a motorcoach.

Recently I was hired by a company in my area and have finally got my foot planted in trucking, and I have limited experience. I have thought about expedited freight and here is finally my question.

What is the potential for getting involved with the bigger companies when you have limited experience. What do most of these companies consider a suitable amount of experience to get started with them.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
A little more info would be helpful to respondents. What are your druthers?
Owner/operator in your own truck
Driver solo or team
van, straight truck, or T/T

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
What is the fascination with a "bigger" company?? I'm just kinda wondering what the general mentality about this subject is out there? What?

Larger security blanket? How big a blanke do you need?
More loads? You will/can only haul one at a time.

Here is a couple potential answers, what is mentality of "the mob"?

jimmyb7766

Seasoned Expediter
There is no fascination with bigger companies, the fact of the matter is that the company I work for now seems to want to keep me local and the potential for OTR does not seem to be there at all.

Thanks for the negative attitude though, it's appreciated.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
JB no one controls a mans destiny ...
Been in ure shoes all the way down to CRE..
It sucked and my ex is a :censoredsign: (can i post that?)
Do what you do and don't look back but no if it is on record you had a moment they will hose you...
Wait sounds familiar but I am living proof you can change your scenario.
Point of response is your not alone and yes you can change your station in life if you try..
Can't tell you how but am proof it can be done..
Mike

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is no fascination with bigger companies, the fact of the matter is that the company I work for now seems to want to keep me local and the potential for OTR does not seem to be there at all.

Thanks for the negative attitude though, it's appreciated.

I think x06 asked a good question. You did, very specifically, ask about bigger companies. The best thing for you to do would be to fill out the on-line applications available on EO, then follow up on those with a phone call. That will give you the real scoop on how you will be viewed by the companies. Yes, that is a bit more effort than just a post, but the payoff is actual info and not just speculation.

jimmyb7766

Seasoned Expediter
Yes I did say that, I never said I did not. Like everyone who drives trucks, people need to make the most money for the time expended and I am no different, obviously.

I have been doing my research and it seems like there is more opportunity with the bigger guys, but I too have been hosed by some fancy add and the fancy promises of some recruiter sitting in a cubicle in a room of 1000 other people making the same promises, so I am leary of what is said. I came here because I know that there are so many here who have been where I have been and probably where I am at, so I thought I would get the straight scoop.

Honestly I will trust the knowledge of a fellow driver, than that of some yahoo who never drove a truck.

I found what I was looking for yesterday and have no interest in carrying on about this anymore.

Thanks to all for their input.