whats the answer

sunshine to all

Seasoned Expediter
sunshine is not out there; found your post a little suspect your mileage
averages 444 miles per day, at 55mph that would be 8 hours a day every day for the time period you posted. Did your driver really average $1.54 a load before expenses? :* A decent wage for decent work is all these
O/O are asking for. A little compensation for being out there 24/7 300 days a yr. I complained to my state and other state reps did anyone else
do as JohnO asked a couple of posts back.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well, Sunshine you may suspect all you want, but, if all you do is eight hours a day when the freight is there, then I understand. There are a couple hours left you could use if you wanted, or could stand it. Interestingly, everyone wants numbers on here, but, there is always some math wizard that makes others reluctant. Whatever. I'm just still trying to find, whats the answer. And, i'm only going to anticipate, you are not it either.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No doubt- they just seem to have an interesting niche, since our industry is so tradionally based on auto freight, and that's where a lot or it is anymore.
I tried to fill a niche like that with the Kitty, and wound up only running around the borders on little junk runs... That's not gonna work, and I packed my bags quickly...If I could find work that got me home to Detroit every weekend and made my two bills I would jump all over it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Quote from lanier
"Secondly, what part of "what the market will bear" do you not understand? If there are two TVs at the TV store that are identical in features but one is $300 less than the other, which one will you purchase and why do you think that is any different from this issue?"

Ok Mr FW...which one you going to buy?? The one made by the scumbag or the decent guy???
This is just one example of our marketplace in our everyday life...
Do you buy the $50 jeans made in the USA or the 29 dollar jeans from Wallys world???
Myself and some may not believe it but I do try and buy USA or Canadian goods where possible especially clothing...I'll spend the extra cash...just for the quality.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Look, I gave you guys "THE ANSWER" back in post #19, and you just don´t want to believe it..sheeeeesh! You guys thathat think you know everything, reallly annoy those of us that do! Now, shut up and drive!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
>Look, I gave you guys "THE ANSWER" back in post #19, and you
>just don´t want to believe it..sheeeeesh! You guys thathat
>think you know everything, reallly annoy those of us that
>do! Now, shut up and drive!!

Ok ok I am driving already already....
:)

Yup gotta be more competitive ourselves...trim the fat as much as possible till all this works around again...and it will...once the moonlighters and the ones with thier heads in the clouds...or is that up thier @ss??? are thinned out.

fortwayne

Not a Member
Ontman -

TV?
Who needs a TV........look I am done with this whole bs conversation here. Everyone here seems to just want to take the 1970's stand on "ain't nothing we can do so I guess we just gotta live with." along with the 2000-2207 stand of "its what the market says."
I am booking my own loads when I can and charging WHAT I SAY and if the customer does not want to pay it then he can go off and find himself a scum........like I said in an earlier post, I am taking the stand everyone has on this site........'ITS ALL ABOUT ME."
Period!

Fort Wayne
Guided By God

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good then I won't expect a response..
It IS all about me....period

And guess what when we cut the crap and get right down to it we all in here are competeing against each other...And when someone goes belly up we type Awe thats too bad...but in reality it's like...bout time guy was a fool and one less to grab my load.
Thats why we are always looking at ways to get better MPG better PM all that and to what cause...to stay competitive against the other guy! The strong survive...

You're talking strong arming companys to strongarm customers to charge more to pay us better...you are dreaming sir...Once more...The market dictates the prices...Example..with all that I've done to twink my truck I bet I get 1-2 mpg then the next guy...hence I have more room to manage my money..I hope he doesn't do the same then I am in the hot seat...just around and round...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
>Terry, he was an O/O so You could say they boff did.
>However ya wanna split it. Makes little difference to me.

A different twist, Col... was that truck gross or truck and Foster's gross?

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well Hawk, in the capitalist society we are in lets say the Company gross was some, more. The fella did have a very, very good month outa the chute. He was lucky, being where the freight was each time he was empty, with a couple three doubles mixed in. Tho we will never know, he most likely would have had an average 10K month, or worse, the next time out. But, was unable to do it like so many of you, for the myraid of excuses. So, all knowing, or, knowing all, the question remains, what's the answer????

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
my opinion and my opinion only
we have know one to blame but our selves we keep eating all the b#$$s%$#
that the companys tell us
there is no freight out there we have to bid low to get it
ok then quit hiring more trucks if freight is so slow
as for us o/o quit accepting it at that rate
or they tell you this is customer freight they expect you to jump up and down no matter what the rate
we need to say whats in it for us
in case you are wondering whether i am in a bad mood yes i am but that is another story that i will take up with my company that is if they will return my phone call been there for 3 years so hope they have enough respect to do that

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if the owner opps were on a forced dispatch,most of these companies would have half as many trucks.over the course of the month,sometime or another, we have all taken a load that was cheaper than we wanted,but when you look at the oveall month,how many of you actually lost any money.and by the way,if i only made 17k for 11000 miles,and I mean my money,id be lQQking for a new carrier

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That's kinda obvious, Night, because of what you drive and who you drive for. Quit puttin stuff into ppls' heads that they can make your money in a little truck. :p

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Well I guess if you are gonna throw numbers out there into a group of mixed people(vans, c, d, and semi) might help if you tell us what type of vehicle they are in, I was gonna post alomst the same thing night did, but I am glad I waited....so what class vehicle was he in?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The 11k miles for $17k is for a straight truck, unless the Col started taking on tractors. Please ejumakate me, Col, if I'm wrong.

posylady

Expert Expediter
I know what you mean. 10 years ago when we stated being a O/O we were making good money, fuel was cheaper and rates were alot higher, Because it was figured in you would return home and allowed the higher rates for your time and expences both ways. Now you are being paid one way and sit for a backhaul to where ever or take the loss. Insurance was even less expensive, We used cell phones and later qualcoms, Our only cost was a 750.00 for deposit for qualcom which we got back with interest when we turned it in. The insurance was 20 something a week we were with a big company and discounts applied. Comp was a 3% of pay. When we were required to get hazmat endorcement they even paid for my license. Now I look at what the companies need up front to start. I am thinking what the heck, What do they do to charge such a chunk everything is covered and paid for by the driver. The percentage even looks like it dropped we were getting 67-72% of billed amount. Usually around 1.50-2.20 per mile. Our pay has steadly dropped for the same work with higher fuel cost to about 1/3 now I look what companies are paying their drivers and it appears around 1/2 of what were being paid 10 years ago. At one of our safety meeting they talked about other companies just puting on O/O's because it didn't cost them anything to have them hanging around the risk is on the Owners. It is handy to say they have available 100 pieces of equipment rather than having 50 and keeping them busy. God forbid should they have to give up a few loads or have to refuse them because they don't have equipment available that day. We are still plugging along but how much longer we are not sure. We have to weigh the hours we work with the cost and expences time away from home. We personally are thinking of just doing driving local with a local company with benefits an retirment. Staring to sound like a dream to us.

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
My point has been for years, Washington and business's sold us out to cheap out of country labor, and loose environmental rules. When clothing industry left we looked the other way, we could buy cheaper, when the steel industry went down we looked the other way, when the auto industry went we looked the other, now the other way, is catching up with your way of making a living. " To quote some one earlier it's GREED. What our government has aloud to me is treason, our country is becoming a 3rd. world, standard of living. Remember years ago the saying " so goes the auto industry so goes the country, so hang on we have been Bush whacked, again. When will Washington listen, hard when there ears are stuffed with special interest money. Just an American citizen speaking, Boy Scout, Army vet, worked a life time for the American dream, makes me sad, and mad what our next generations have coming.
Hurrier you go the be hinder you get! Tom Tinker:'( :'(

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Refer to DaveKC's post on this subject (#11). This is nothing more than a supply and demand issue. There are more providers than are needed.Until that changes, the rates are going to go down. Supply and demand cuts both ways; When others who provide goods and services that we consume compete, we benefit. When we compete for business with others for freight, our customers benefit. As the tide of people entering the industry continues, rates will go down. When and if the tide goes back out, the rates will start going back up. Not until then.

Intimadator

Seasoned Expediter
The answer is that horseman who runs TRANSTEWART DOESN'T RUN MY TRUCKS AT ALL i'VE HAD JUST 5 LOADS IN 4 WEEKS WITH ONE TRUCK AND ONLY ONE LOAD WITH THE OTHER THATS WHY MY OWN AUTHORITY IS ON THE WAY AND THE COMPANY HASN'T EVEN CALLED ME TO ASK WHY MY OTHER DRIVER ASN'T RUN IN THREE WEEKS AND HE QUIT THREE WEEKS AGO SO NOW ITS TIME TO MOVE ON AND DO THINGS MY OWN WAY WITH 25 YEARS IN THE BUSINESS AND BEING ABLE TO BID MY OWN LOADS BEFORE IT SHOULD GO WELL

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
Just a reminder. cheap freight has another name, it is also known as backhaul. your expenses are the same whatever direction you run.;)