What's going on?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have been TRYING to buy 4 drive and 2 steer tires for a couple of days now. I cannot find what I am looking for.

I can find NO steer tires in 11R22.5 "H" in any brand, not to mention I need to use my discount to keep the price in semi-reasonable ranges. I have talked with 14 different tire outlets.

Michelin now has a "replacement" steer for that XZA3. (I don't know the new number for it) I cannot find any. I have two on order, NO DELIVERY DATE PROJECTED.

I also had to ORDER 4 XDA3 drives. NO DELIVERY DATE PROJECTED. I can find other drive if forced too.

Same story with the Bridgestone tires. I tried to buy 4 M720's, 4 to 6 week delivery date. NO PROJECTED date for the R280 11R22.5 "H".

This kinda sucks. I need tires. Going to keep plugging away. Sure hope I can find what I need before the ones I have fall off.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It might have something to do with tires being more expensive and this is the time of year for blowouts, so they go through the stock they have quicker.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Try Speedco. We get a good discount there also.

I did try the one near me. NO 11R22.5 "H". I can buy a lower quality drive, I would prefer what I am looking for. The steers are becoming a problem.

My friend who ordered mine is saying ANOTHER huge price increase, maybe in January.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Imwas gonna say, a song by Marvin Gaye.

Japanese tires short due to earthquake? French tires short due to Japanese shortages?

Keep americans employed Buy American ya bum!:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Imwas gonna say, a song by Marvin Gaye.

Japanese tires short due to earthquake? French tires short due to Japanese shortages?

Keep americans employed Buy American ya bum!:D

I thought the Michelin tires were made here. The BEST wear on truck tires I had were the cheap Goodyear drives, the ones I found out were made in China. They were much cheaper than the Michelin's and lasted longer.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I know that even the OEM's are having a hard time with tire shortages. Our trailers were always Bridgestone spec'd for years. Currently Stoughton can't even get them.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know that even the OEM's are having a hard time with tire shortages. Our trailers were always Bridgestone spec'd for years. Currently Stoughton can't even get them.

I hope I can find a solution. I don't want to go back out on these tires. They are still LEGAL but they do not meet my standards. My wife is in my truck with me.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We have the Firestone drives. FD690 I think. We have 200k miles on them and they still have over 50% tread.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have the Firestone drives. FD690 I think. We have 200k miles on them and they still have over 50% tread.

I should be able to find a drive tire, even when only using our discount. The steers are the REAL problem. Still working on it.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Might check with Southern Tire Mart in Houston on the Bridgestone 720's, or at least they can look in their system to see if any of there other stores have any. I bought my Mich steers at a Loves in PA but like you, I could not find the 'H' ratings and settled for less.
good luck

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Might check with Southern Tire Mart in Houston on the Bridgestone 720's, or at least they can look in their system to see if any of there other stores have any. I bought my Mich steers at a Loves in PA but like you, I could not find the 'H' ratings and settled for less.
good luck

My truck requires "H" rated steers. It is a ticket if found with "G" rated tires.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Problem half solved (based on axle count not tire count). Good luck on the drives.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
LOS, check with McMahon tire in Ft Wayne,IN. We also run the H tire and they never seem to have any trouble getting them.

We just put a set of Michelin XZA3 Green X steers on that replaced the exact same tires (got 284,000 miles on the last set....could have gone over 300K with them easy enough, but didn't want to press my luck)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What's going on is a shortage of natural rubber that has developed in the supply chain and is expected to persist for years.

I've checked around a bit. Tire prices from the factory have increased 20-30 percent in 2011. One major manufacturer has announced three price increases this year totaling 38 percent.

I asked one dealer if he could put tires on my truck if I drove in today. He said probably but maybe not in the brand I want. It helps to have standard size tires, he said, and H rated could be purchased.

I asked if I could order tires early so I could have some when needed, and if the dealer could he hold them for me. No, he said. When tires come in, they move out. Too many people want tires now to hold them in the shop.

Layoutshooter, you have stumbled onto a hard truth that will affect us all. Thank you for sharing your experience. Diane and I do not need tires at the moment but I am now giving serious thought to buying a full set of tires now to keep at home until they are needed.

I guess we will have to hold off on that big-screen TV purchase to leave space in the living room for tire storage. :(

moose

Veteran Expediter
As an Experienced Trucker, Am now the proud owner of 2 self inflated Belly tires -HH rated.
i have no need for them, come get them free .
(& i can assure you, no shortage is expected in the supply chain ! ) :)

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Stand up rubber is hard to find. I switched to lo-pro a while back and have no problems. Try to find a 11R24.5 om the road at 03:00, Not much luck!!