What's Going on in the US House of Representatives?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
As much as I hate to say this but Democrats are not stupid they do not want to have this little dust up stop because it makes them look good.....second they will not vote on a Republican ever unless they are a rino like mitt Romney or liz Cheney.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
... they will not vote on a Republican ever unless they are a rino like mitt Romney or liz Cheney.
Exactly. And that may be what it will take to seat a speaker and let the House get to its work. The non-RINO Republicans are not looking or doing well right now, are they?

At present, and seemingly for the foreseeable future, the non-RINOs are in a House-paralyzing stalemate. If tensions grow to the breaking point and moderate Republicans (those you call RINO) rise and work with Democrats to seat a speaker, the non-RINOS will be sidelined by the rules then adopted and the opportunity they had when the 118th Congress first convened will have been fumbled.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: danthewolf00

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Interesting Nominating Remark

"'What you're seeing on this floor does not mean we are dysfunctional,' said Republican Representative Anna Paulina Luna as she nominated a McCarthy rival, Byron Donalds, for the 10th vote."

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The sausage is made and packaged - McCarthy is voted Speaker of the House on the 15th ballot. The process worked; no tragedy, no calamity, no broken party.

Reactions: Turtle and muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
McCarthy Elected Speaker in the 15th Round of Voting

Finally!

Does this mean America can look forward to smooth sailing and good government? Or is it only a matter of time before Republicans again paralyze the House of Representatives with their next dysfunctional impasse?

Because of what McCarthy gave up to become the speaker, the 21 Republicans who caused the trouble this time have more power than ever. In what ways do you expect to see them exercise that power?

I was surprised to see the Republicans fail to elect their speaker straightaway. I will not be surprised to see additional Republican goat rodeos in this already historic Congress.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here's what McCarthy agreed with to win the necessary votes:

- One member can make motion to elect a new Speaker. (This is not new)
- Votes on term limits
- Votes on resolution that balances the budget in 10 years
- Not to increase debt limit without spending cuts
- NOT TO BRING BILLS TO THE FLOOR UNTIL 72 HRS HAVE PASSED, giving members time to read legislation.
- three seats on rules committee for Freedom Caucus members.

Don't forget that item one had been in place until Pelosi removed it. Also, item 5 will help prevent bills like the massive $1.7T omnibus bill that just passed. There's really nothing outrageous about any of these conditions.

Reactions: muttly

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

- Votes on term limits
- NOT TO BRING BILLS TO THE FLOOR UNTIL 72 HRS HAVE PASSED, giving members time to read legislation.

Don't forget that item one had been in place until Pelosi removed it. Also, item 5 will help prevent bills like the massive $1.7T omnibus bill that just passed. There's really nothing outrageous about any of these conditions.

All common sense. Why wouldn't McCarthy agree to those things prior to the second vote?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

- Votes on term limits

Wait, what? Those aren’t extreme positions like we were being told by the Dems.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

- Votes on term limits

I agree that items 1-5 are reasonable items. Since I don't trust the Freedom Caucus (you know, the extremists who, putting all other matters aside, shut down the House speaker vote for the first time in 100 years), I'm leery of increasing their presence on the important rules committee.

Except for the last item, the published conditions are good. America would be better off if all they were adopted. What worries me is the unpublished conditions, if any, and the future behavior of the weak, ingratiating, self-serving speaker and the wack-a-doodle gang of 21. I worry about them rolling full steam ahead with one anti-democracy, anti-constitution initiative after another.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Right, 15 rounds isn’t even close to 40.
Truly historic is the 1855/1856 that lasted from December, 1855 through February 2, 1856 where 133 ballots were cast until finally a Speaker was chosen. 21 people started out running for Speaker, and politics in those days were much more bitter than they are today. The chief issues in 1866 were not House rules changes and procedures or I wanna be on a committee!, but rather strong anti-immigration sentiments and slavery.