What's Going on in the US House of Representatives?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
While it has taken far too long, the work of investigators, grand juries, prosecutors and litigants is beginning to bear fruit.

1. The Manhattan grand jury issued a criminal indictment for filing false documents. Trump surrendered for arrest and was charged. That case is now working its way through court.

2. The Fulton County DA announced that charging decisions will be made this summer.

3. The Jan 6 grand jury seems to be nearing the end of its work as they have worked their way up the witness list, hearing from Trump's former vice president and chief of staff. There are no higher-ranking Trump administration officials to hear from. We have heard of no recent subpoenas issued by that body. That suggests indictments may be coming soon.

4. It appears to be the same with the grand jury investigating the Mar-A-Lago documents case. All high-ranking witnesses have appeared before the grand jury. We know of no new subpoenas recently issued.

5. While Trump was not personally charged, the Manhattan DA succeeded in convicting his company, the Trump Organization, of the crime of tax fraud.

6. While it was a civil case, a jury recently found Trump liable for the crimes of defamation and sexual abuse regarding E. Jean Carroll. They ordered Trump to pay Carroll $5 million in damages.

7. While it is a civil case, Trump has been accused of crimes by the NY State AG. That case is fully developed and filed. It is currently making its way through court.

8. Under the inherent authority they have, two different judges have imposed sanctions on Trump for misconduct during the litigation process. In one case, plaintiff Trump was fined nearly $1 million dollars for bringing a frivolous lawsuit against 31 defendants. The money went to the defendants to pay their legal costs; $172,000 of that went to Hillary Clinton. In the other case, Trump paid $110,000 in fines for his failure to comply with a subpoena (issued by the NY State DA). While these are not crimes per se, judges have said Trump's behavior was misconduct and he was sanctioned because of it. Those sanctions seem to have had an effect. Trump has not filed a frivolous lawsuit subsequent to those fines.
To repeat, so far Trump hasn't been convicted of a single crime.
#1 may bear fruit since it will be in front of a NY jury, but if/when a guilty verdict comes in it will be ripe for appeal.

#5 is irrelevant.

The rest of the civil stuff has taken on the appearance of political persecution, which accomplishes nothing but reinforce the resolve of Trump voters and actually works to the advantage of the Trump campaign. Bottom line: Devoted Trump supporters don't care about this stuff.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
To repeat, so far Trump hasn't been convicted of a single crime.
True. For now. And his company has been convicted of the crime of tax fraud.
#1 may bear fruit since it will be in front of a NY jury, but if/when a guilty verdict comes in it will be ripe for appeal.
Trump has done poorly with appeals in recent months. He can appeal but if past is prologue, he'll lose.
#5 is irrelevant.
I own a company. If my company was convicted of a crime, it would be extremely relevant, and it would reflect negatively on me.
The rest of the civil stuff has taken on the appearance of political persecution, which accomplishes nothing but reinforce the resolve of Trump voters ...
A declining number of people more resolved.
and actually works to the advantage of the Trump campaign.
In the primary, yes. In the general election, no.
Bottom line: Devoted Trump supporters don't care about this stuff.
Agreed.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The Left turns a blind eye to this. They’re willing to delude themselves that it’s a fair process. It’s because they’r partisan and have a deep hatred for Trump. I’m not going to call it TDS because it’s a pejorative term. What they have is a very deep hatred for Trump. I call it Trump hatred. They should never be allowed on a jury regarding a Trump matter.
Have you ever seen a jury selection process? As a juror, I've been through this twice. Jurors are deeply questioned by attorneys for both sides. Trump's attorney's have every opportunity to ask about the jurors' political beliefs and biases, and to test a prospective juror's ability to be objective and fair. They can disqualify any juror they want for any reason or no reason.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Speaking of the House of Representatives, James Comer held a 30-minute press conference yesterday at 9AM detailing his Oversight Committee's findings on the influence peddling operation conducted by the Biden family that dates back to his time as VP. Bank records that were subpoenaed by his sub-committee show that money from China, Romania and other countries went to nine different Biden family members in a money laundering operation. While the presser ran in its entirety on Fox News and partial coverage on other cable networks, the alphabet networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) gave it no time at all - not one second. This is media bias at it's finest.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Speaking of the House of Representatives, James Comer held a 30-minute press conference yesterday at 9AM detailing his Oversight Committee's findings on the influence peddling operation conducted by the Biden family that dates back to his time as VP. Bank records that were subpoenaed by his sub-committee show that money from China, Romania and other countries went to nine different Biden family members in a money laundering operation. While the presser ran in its entirety on Fox News and partial coverage on other cable networks, the alphabet networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) gave it no time at all - not one second. This is media bias at it's finest.

Predictable from our worthless news media.
I'm old enough to remember when shell corporations, tax avoidance, FARA violations, and emoluments were a big deal.

Reactions: danthewolf00

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Have you ever seen a jury selection process? As a juror, I've been through this twice. Jurors are deeply questioned by attorneys for both sides. Trump's attorney's have every opportunity to ask about the jurors' political beliefs and biases, and to test a prospective juror's ability to be objective and fair. They can disqualify any juror they want for any reason or no reason.
Potential jurors do lie. Judges have discretion on the dismissal of potential jurors so a defense's challenges are ultimately limited. And in a heavily democratic blue area with a partisan Clinton judge, it's extremely unlikely for Trump to get a fair trial pursuant to his 6th Amendment right to the Constitution.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Potential jurors do lie. Judges have discretion on the dismissal of potential jurors so a defense's challenges are ultimately limited. And in a heavily democratic blue area with a partisan Clinton judge, it's extremely unlikely for Trump to get a fair trial pursuant to his 6th Amendment right to the Constitution.
A point you frequently make and one I do not accept. If the process was as partisan biased as you suggest, Trump would not lose appeal after appeal in courts dominated by Republican-appointed judges and justices.

• Haha

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A point you frequently make and one I do not accept. If the process was as partisan biased as you suggest, Trump would not lose appeal after appeal in courts dominated by Republican-appointed judges and justices.
It doesn't follow because those on the right are more interested in following the Constitution and the law while those on the left are more interested in interpreting the Constitution and the law.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
“Republican appointed”. Like I’ve said previously Dems get to choose a judge for every two. So they’re likely Dem judges.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
“Republican appointed”. Like I’ve said previously Dems get to choose a judge for every two. So they’re likely Dem judges.
1. While that was once true, I don't know it's true in recent years. When I asked that question and asked you for your source, you did not respond.

2. I'm talking about judges and justices who were nominated by Trump himself. There is nothing "likely Democratic" about them. These are Trump-nominated judges and justices. They are not ruling with partisan bias. They are ruling on the facts and the law. And Trump is losing in their courts again and again.

Last edited:
  • Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
1. While that was once true, I don't know it's true in recent years. When I asked that question and asked you for your source, you did not respond.

2. I'm talking about judges and justices who were nominated by Trump himself. There is nothing "likely Democratic" about them. These are Trump-nominated judges and justices. They are not ruling with partisan bias. They are ruling on the facts and the law. And Trump is losing in their courts again and again.
Not true on both counts. I listed my source as Mark Levin who once worked in the DOJ. He said that is how it is done. He would know.

Also, there have been some Trump/ Republican nominated judges that show little appearance of adhering to the law and constitution.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Not true on both counts. I listed my source as Mark Levin who once worked in the DOJ. He said that is how it is done. He would know.

Also, there have been some Trump/ Republican nominated judges that show little appearance of adhering to the law and constitution.
Citing a TV host and claiming he would know is insufficient. How do you know if he knows or not? This is a simple question, easily answered with objectively verifiable information. . While it was once true that an arrangement existed between Democrats and Republicans such that the majority party could confirm two judges and the minority party could have one confirmed by agreement of the major party, does that remain true today. And was it true when Trump was president?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Citing a TV host and claiming he would know is insufficient. How do you know if he knows or not? This is a simple question, easily answered with objectively verifiable information. . While it was once true that an arrangement existed between Democrats and Republicans such that the majority party could confirm two judges and the minority party could have one confirmed by agreement of the major party, does that remain true today. And was it true when Trump was president?
Depends on if he still holds a security clearance and to what level.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Won't happen because the Democrats want his lieing butt in there to keep trump out.
It takes a two-thirds vote to expel a House member. The Democrats always vote as a block, so Schiff is safe for now. But his ethics violations and outright criminal activities were far worse than those of George Santos. Adam Schiff should be charged with sedition based on his false statements intended to overturn an election and take down a sitting POTUS.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It takes a two-thirds vote to expel a House member. The Democrats always vote as a block, so Schiff is safe for now. But his ethics violations and outright criminal activities were far worse than those of George Santos. Adam Schiff should be charged with sedition based on his false statements intended to overturn an election and take down a sitting POTUS.
Right. Schiff’s violations happened while he was a House Representative and his actions helped undermine a presidency for 4 years.
Santos’ actions were before he became a House member.