What to do when you get a flat

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Don't panic

Don't park in a bad area

Don't panic because you have a flat and parked in a bad area

And don't panic because of the good size bill for road service you will get

I am sitting here in Dallas, somewhere in Dallas with a flat tire thanks to the many others who had blow outs with their tires and didn't clean up the mess - I hit one of them gators and it did a number on my marginal Michelin drive tire. It was either hit the tire, hit the retaining wall or hit the car packed with What I assume were Latinos going to dinner.

Well So much for that cruise I was going to go on, a new tire is expensive to put on, even more if I was on the freeway or out of the way but I am in the 'better part' of Dallas with a lot of cops around me (always going somewhere very fast), no one seems to want to speak English and I am parked at a Mexican tire shop where the owner say "we don't fix truck" and shows me some really great looking rims for my ride at home. The worst part is I am under load and will be about 2 hours late.

What really s*cks is that I took care of that tire because it was the odd one of the bunch. So no more Michelins on this truck until I get those super things.

Oh and no taco wagon anywhere in sight - that really is not a good sign.

guido4475

Not a Member
greg, i feel for you. but at least you're making the best of it with a sense of humor. i just replaced all 8 drive tires last saturday with new generics for $1,900.00 on the truck, out the door. i have used them on my other trucks and got the same wear out of them as bridgestone 726's. yes, they are not american tires, but the savings is huge. and this place is in bell,california. (la) by the name of savas tire and rim.and why you are in dallas,check out the country kitchen on channel 19 around the pilot and chrome shop area.the best breaded pork chops you will eat, delivered to your truck, for 8.00. it is all homemade,and you can even get on the cb and talk to the cook in the kithchen as he is preparing your food. i could not eat the whole dinner at once.and i am a 300# fat man.good luck on the tire. oh yea, steer tires are around 210.00 at that place also.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
greg, i feel for you. but at least you're making the best of it with a sense of humor. i just replaced all 8 drive tires last saturday with new generics for $1,900.00 on the truck, out the door. i have used them on my other trucks and got the same wear out of them as bridgestone 726's. yes, they are not american tires, but the savings is huge.

The up front costs the Poster is correct on. With todays fuel costs did you know that the difference is the quality of ROLLING RESISTANCE will pay you back in fuel cost savings every 50K thousand miles on tires. There is that big of a difference in Tires and how they are built to make them roll more Freely.

Michelin has a Web Site explaining this. I always thought Bridgestone delivered the best Bang for the Buck. Boy AM I WRONG. Now I do not have them on my Truck (Michelin) but you can rest assure before long I will, and I will also find a savings in improved mpg and at $4.61 cheapest I have found this week I am sick and tired of $500.00 for a half a tank.

I always believed the longer tires last the more your saving. NOT TRUE its all in ROLLING RESISTANCE and the web site will show you any brand or make of tires compared side by side Bridgestone vs Goodyear, or Yokohoma Vs Michelin you pick it, it will show you and its PROVEN not just some dumb CB chanel Theory.

No slame against the original second poster, just what I learned and the research is for free. Any further questions need to be addressed to T E A M C A F F E E ....

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Now for the original question: OOIDA has a roadside service that is SUB PAR at BEST. Purchase the National Breakdown Guide:

Lists every roadside service company and also every Garage:

I have used it once for a Roadside Breakdown, $190.00 and two hours later I was driving down the road just as happy as could be. Dumb Fan Belt, and it was night and about 20F and dropping so he was better qualified than I. Thank God I keep a spare fan belt, otherwise at 7PM on a Sunday evening it would have been the HOOK and another $500.

Get the book it is great and it works better than an intermediate between you and the person wanting to take your $.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
Michelin has a Web Site explaining this (Rolling Resistance)

Could you place a link for this. I went to the Michelin website
and could not find the article.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Home | www.truckdown.com

sign in as guest
Password: Guest

Your dispatch should take care of this, but they will call the first person no matter what the cost. It's good to shop around IF you have the time and are not under a load.