What Operating System is Everybody Using?

Which Operating System are you Using?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Being the computer geek I am :cool:, I was wondering what operating system everybody is using at the moment.

I use multiply OS's, such as XP, Vista, Windows 7, been trying all different flavors of Linux base systems and I'm going to try and install MAC OS on my laptop here soon.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I have Vista and I hate it thinking about going back to XP
Vista seems to run slower, not sure if it does but it sure seems like it.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
I have Vista and I hate it thinking about going back to XP
Vista seems to run slower, not sure if it does but it sure seems like it.

The thing about Vista, there is a lot more services running in the background then there were in XP. But, good news, they will be coming out with Windows 7 towards the 4th quarter of the year and you can pay more money to upgrade to it. :eek:

I have been running the beta of Windows 7 for quite some time now, upgrading to the new revisions each time and they have it working great. Its quick and starts up and shuts down quick also. The navigation to get to certain things are harder to find when you start using it, but you find ways of finding eventually. :D But, I say if you can afford it, upgrade to Windows 7 instead of keeping the crappy Vista.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I think Microsoft should give me Windows 7 for free since Vista has been terrible from the beginning, I even notice some new computers are being sold with XP now
Bill are you listening?
I'll even take Windows 95 LOL

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
I agree, but they figure the release of new windows every 3-5 years is good enough to where you should pay for it again. But, what I have a hard time understanding, they say were not buying the software itself, but buying the use of it. If that is the case, I support all my previous windows. Windows 1.0, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me. They pretty much given any updates for those, even though I paid to use the software, they won't give me no support unless I pay them more. I didn't buy the software, so how can it have certain warrenty term on it? :rolleyes:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
The EO office staff made the switch to MAC a few years ago. I just changed last month.....and I LOVE IT!!!!

My productivity has increased at least 20%!!! :)

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
My laptop came with Vista and I HATED it. It took forever to boot up and shut down and it used a big chunk of my memory just to run it. Hubby put Windows 7 beta on here for me and I like it a whole lot better. I'm still partial to XP though, but 7 is growing on me. :) Now he just needs to update it for me. *hint hint* :D

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
The EO office staff made the switch to MAC a few years ago. I just changed last month.....and I LOVE IT!!!!

My productivity has increased at least 20%!!! :)

Increase productivity is always a plus. :D

Never really made the jump to MAC. Used the real old versions back in the mid 80's a little. Always hearing how happy people are using them.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Someday I'd love to have a MAC just to use for graphics (a hobby passion of mine). I've heard that they are so much better for that than Windows.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Update on my Mac transition.

It was 110% worth the inconvenience and learning curve.

Top benefits:

1. Lightning fast - in every program
2. Weighs half as much as my XP laptop
3. Virtually no trojans or viruses for this OS
4. Every action seems very, very user friendly
5. Hours of battery life

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Someday I'd love to have a MAC just to use for graphics (a hobby passion of mine). I've heard that they are so much better for that than Windows.

apple has refurb units available. price wise apple csr told me they are half the cost. still not as inexpensive($350 as this toshiba i have and probably doesn't come with as good a background story either. it did not come with office. i am using open office. when i send in monthly ppwk it takes longer to open.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Update on my Mac transition.

It was 110% worth the inconvenience and learning curve.

Top benefits:

1. Lightning fast - in every program
2. Weighs half as much as my XP laptop
3. Virtually no trojans or viruses for this OS
4. Every action seems very, very user friendly
5. Hours of battery life

I'm going to eventually get a MAC one of these days. For the mean time, I've been playing with Ubuntu, which is a linux OS, which is based of Unix like MAC.

I've actually been having fun with Ubuntu. They have made a lot of improvements within the linux operating systems. Installed the 32bit version and its fast. Able to do all the task I need to do that I could do in windows. If there is a program I need that only windows can run, I can still use it by running it through a program called wine. It emulates windows so it can run the program just like I was using windows.

I will be installing the 64bit version this weekend, I just want to see if its faster, which I don't know how it could be faster than what it is now. But, just curious since windows 32bit vs 64bit does not make much difference in speed that is very noticeable.

Any ways, thought I would give a shout, since I have been not posting lately and let you guys know that I'm still here, I'm not going away, your not that lucky. :p

I left a screenshot as I was typing this. Just because I could do it on the fly while I was typing this and resize it within seconds and upload it. Just a example how easy Ubuntu is to use. :D

P.S. All this is free too. Don't have to pay $100's like you do with Microsoft.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 3

nctrails

Seasoned Expediter
Hmmm. I step into these waters a bit hesitantly. I usually just sit back and read. But this one I have to jump in on.

From the perspective of an ex-Microsoft engineer that has converted completely to MAC after leaving the company 3 years ago and removing the "horse blinders" from my head...

Microsoft has always been about what *they* want and has catered to businesses. Apple has (at least in the last 5+ years) been focused on what the consumer wants. Microsoft just hasn't cared until now, and now that Bill is gone and the bald guy is in charge... I don't see them "getting it" any time soon. Businesses will keep MS afloat, but they have to change their whole way of approaching design, support and deployment if they intend to stay on top in the consumer market (which I don't think they are anymore anyway - not at the consumer level).

Apple has their flaws, don't get me wrong. But I'm an iPhone toting MacBook Pro using geek that converted with his eyes wide open. It was a a somewhat steep learning curve, but I'm glad I climbed that hill. Once you learn a little about Apple, you learn that their OS had the "features" of Vista many years before Vista hit the market - and it was a better implementation . After Vista hit the market, there were large businesses that rolled back to XP due to the poor design and difficult enterprise management issues of Vista. I know of many of MS's Enterprise customers that rolled 10's of thousands back to XP - you don't do that without just cause... it costs a LOT of money. Instead of trying to "borrow" others' ideas, MS should try to come up with an original idea of it's own. You can't borrow/buy ideas, throw money at them, and expect to be on top forever. They can't compete in the OS market, the MP3/Music player market, or even the "smart" phone market. Apple has beat them in each category.

Oh I could go on for hours...

Let's just look at the cost of the software alone. I purchased an upgrade to my MAC OS (Leopard - what Vista was hoping to be like). I was able to buy a *5* unit family license pak for $199. Have you looked at what 5 Vista licenses would cost you? Apple's "office" equivalent is iWorks. The most recent version of it costs $79 ($99 for the 5 license family pak). If you want the Microsoft product, you'll pay up to 10 times that. It's simply not worth it. You can use OpenOffice for free... or use the much easier and user friendly Apple product that costs sooooo much less.

Apple is making a lot of progress on their server products as well and I fully expect them to kick MS to the curb in the long run. The server side of things is where I worked for about 8 years. MS recently changed the product I supported (I was a 3rd level senior engineer) to be more "unix/Linux" like... but they ended up making the product worse than the version before. Typical of MS... take someones good ideas and make it bad.

This rant hasn't flowed well... but you get the idea. I worked for MS, I've been on the inside. No, I'm not disgruntled - I can go back there anytime I'd like... I left on purpose and I'm a happier man for doing so.

If you still see the world through MS's rose colored stained glass "Windows", do yourself a favor and take a look at "the other side". Try Apple's OS or perhaps even Ubuntu (a linux flavor) combined with Open Office. I started with an iPhone and I've never looked back. I'm more productive, my hardware works out of the box, I spend less money.

In the words of Morpheus "You take the blue (MS) pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red (Apple) pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

This message was written on my :D Mac :)

- NCTrails
(Fedex CC o/o)

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
You know what is funny. Microsoft has been using Linux servers for awhile now for security reasons. If they can not trust their own window servers on the security side of it, why do they expect business customers to trust them?

Here is one example among many.

On Friday Microsoft changed its DNS so that requests for Microsoft Corporation no longer resolve to machines on Microsoft’s own network, but instead are handled by the Akamai caching system, which runs Linux.

Akamai provides an internet-wide caching system, which can act as a symmetric defence to distributed denial of service attacks. Just as a denial of service attack funnels traffic from many different points to a single destination, Akamai's DNS servers multiplex requests for a specific hostname to the nearest point to each attacking machine in its global caching system, diminishing the effect of the attack by dividing the inbound requests amongst its many servers, and limiting the amount of DDoS traffic by localising the distance between attacker and target. Akamai presents a more challenging target for a DDoS than any single network, and would seem to be the best practical step where a distributed denial of service is directed at a hostname that the target organisation cannot reasonably take offline.

Microsoft was able to defend against an earlier DDoS aimed at windowsupdate.com by taking that hostname out of the DNS, as windowsupdate.com was less important to its operations than the attackers expected.

Many web forums, including those at Anandtech and Slashdot are discussing the irony of the Microsoft Corporation site apparently running Linux. Additionally, we are seeing a quantity of mail asking why we are reporting Microsoft Corporation running the “impossible” combination of the Linux operating system and Microsoft-IIS/6.0 web server.

When we request Microsoft Corporation the DNS directs us to a server operated by Akamai. If you repeat this test, note that the actual Akamai server you connect to will differ according to your location on the internet and may vary from request to request. Akamai’s http caching servers run Linux, and so we report Linux as the operating system. However Akamai also forwards the http Server: header from the original server as part of the cached content, and so we report “Microsoft-IIS/6.0” as the web server.

$ telnet Microsoft Corporation http
Trying 213.161.82.44...
Connected to a562.cd.akamai.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: Microsoft Corporation

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
P3P: CP='ALL IND DSP COR ADM CONo CUR CUSo IVAo IVDo PSA
PSD TAI TELo OUR SAMo CNT COM INT NAV ONL PHY PRE PUR UNI'
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Content-Length: 45238
Content-Type: text/html
Expires: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:35:25 GMT
Cache-Control: max-age=0, no-cache, no-store
Pragma: no-cache
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:35:25 GMT
Connection: keep-alive

greg334

Veteran Expediter

I didn't think so, I get just as much graphic performance with Linux than I did with the MAC I had on my desk at work. I had all three on my desk for development work.

Right now I am working on improving the truckputer and have made the move back to Linux at home to setup everything. I am not happy with KDE, a few problems with the graphics and every web browser is driving me nuts (ads for example seem to be low resolution while pictures are not).

As for Apple's server, stick with Linux or go for Solaris, Open Solaris or something along those lines.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
I didn't think so, I get just as much graphic performance with Linux than I did with the MAC I had on my desk at work. I had all three on my desk for development work.

Right now I am working on improving the truckputer and have made the move back to Linux at home to setup everything. I am not happy with KDE, a few problems with the graphics and every web browser is driving me nuts (ads for example seem to be low resolution while pictures are not).

As for Apple's server, stick with Linux or go for Solaris, Open Solaris or something along those lines.

Gnome build 2.26.1 seems to be working pretty good. They do have a build 4.2.2 out for KDE now. Depending on your flavour of linux you are using, you might be able to upgrade. Not sure what bugs they have fixed though. Ubuntu has a Kubuntu version which has the KDE in it. I'm thinking about installing to see how well it works.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Gnome build 2.26.1 seems to be working pretty good. They do have a build 4.2.2 out for KDE now. Depending on your flavour of linux you are using, you might be able to upgrade. Not sure what bugs they have fixed though. Ubuntu has a Kubuntu version which has the KDE in it. I'm thinking about installing to see how well it works.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm using Kubuntu 8.10, it installed great on this machine but my dell blade server well let's put it this way it just didn't act nice. I need to get something on the server, nothing seems to like it so maybe bsd?

I have KDE 4.2 installed now, it seems to be working ok except for that one issue with the browser (thinking it is the video card). Oh the other problem is if I do anything with a screen saver, I get the proverbial white screen of death - I just love X.

I just don't like Gnome, it has nothing to do with the interface, it has to do with Vernors - if you are from Detroit, you know what I am saying (by the way, they no longer let the stuff sit in wooden casks for two years, it is priocessed and out the door). I just tried to install open solaris and solaris x86 on this box and I have a conflict with the raid controller.

As for the truckputer, I am moving off of windows because I am tired of it. It flaked out on me twice because of the dual monitor video card drivers, so I need something more stable and something I can assign apps to specific monitors. I use Streets and Trips and DDL which both didn't like WINE so I am using VirtualBox with a stripped down version of windows.