What kind of signa are these?

ROBERTO PEREZ

New Recruit
Driver
I have no idea of the signs that are on some secundary roads, that are inside of the " Large Green Signs".... These signs are in white squared box color, with bold letters in black , that often says " HH..... DD. Y"

Sometimes are one letter, sometimes two letters

Any ideas?

ROBERTO PEREZ

New Recruit
Driver
Maybe...but why are placed specifically within a white square, inside the larger green signs?.... There should be a reason for that

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1NcDjGh.jpg

ROBERTO PEREZ

New Recruit
Driver
I didn't have the time for pictures (because I drive), but the signs are like the one published by scott4211, with the variable that first there is a 24" by 24" white square within the green sign, then there are bold letters within the white square

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I didn't have the time for pictures (because I drive), but the signs are like the one published by scott4211, with the variable that first there is a 24" by 24" white square within the green sign, then there are bold letters within the white square
If you're referring to signs like these, I think they're county road signs.

3947361663_661ff25703.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
20130410-073006.jpg

Yes, there is a reason for that.

Best known in Missouri (because that's where they originated in 1952), the black letters in the white square indicate a Supplemental Route, which are roads within the state which the MDOT was given to maintain in addition to the regular routes. The goal of the secondary highway system was to place state-maintained roads within 2 miles (3 km) of more than 95% of all farm houses, schools, churches, cemeteries and stores. The four types of roads designated as SUpplemental Routes are:
Farm to market roads
Roads to state parks
Former alignments of US or state highways
Short routes connecting state highways from other states to routes in Missouri

The United Stated Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) lays out in mind-numbing, excruciating detail every little thing about every little sign on every single road in the US. Well, technically, not every road. It lays out the standards designs for highways in the Interstate and US Highway system.

The familiar blue Interstate shield is the only trademarked shield in use in the US, and the familiar US Route shield was inspired by the Great Seal of the United States. The MUTCD provides default designs for state highways (the boring circular highway shield) and county highways (a blue pentagon with yellow text), but the states are free to use whatever design they like for state and county roads. Currently, only five states (Delaware, Iowa, Mississippi, New Jersey, and the great commonwealth of Kentucky) still use the breathtakingly boring circular shield for state routes. A few states still use the circular shield for town-maintained sections of state routes, but use a different shield for the other parts of the same highway. Maryland, for example, uses the default circular shield lor locally maintained sections of state-numbered highways, most often in Baltimore, but otherwise uses a different design elsewhere for the same state route. Several states use the outline of their state as the shield (Ohio, Florida, Arkansas, Missouri, etc.), while some use other outlines, like the beehive of Utah, Pennsylvania's keystone state design, Kansas uses a sunflower, Washington uses a bust of George Washington. California uses an acorn-looking shield for its state routes. Actually, it's supposed to represent the spade carried by the Forty-Niners into the foothills and sold by the opportunistic merchants who made the real fortunes of the California Gold Rush. Now you know. It's a spade.

Some U.S. counties also have unique shield designs, though most use the MUTCD default.

So those letters inside the white squares are nothing more than lettered roads, instead of numbered roads. In most cases they are state maintained roads, even if they are a county road or a state road, but not in all cases.

southUS57-northKY57goof.jpg

There is an entire Web page dedicated to KY road sign goofs, from misspellings, to arrows pointing the wrong way, wrong road numbers, and wrong shields. Here's one that is still in place after at least 15 years, along KY 859 at Avon, just north of I-64 in Fayette County, where if you go straight you're on KY 57 and if you go left you're magically on US 57. US 57 has it's eastern point at I-35 about an hour south of San Antonio and heads west to Eagle Pass where it goes down into Mexico. Nowhere near Kentucky.

So, with all road signs, you get what you pay for. Except you really don't.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are several counties in Wisconsin that have a county road UU. It can be confusing when giving verbal directions. There are also county roads designated QQ.

ROBERTO PEREZ

New Recruit
Driver
I have seen streets that are named identical, and are about one mile of separation from one to another, in the same very county, but different towns