what is the most memorable thing you have experien

herronryan

Seasoned Expediter
yes i am done with my complaining about fedex. as we all know, we will hate our companies and wanna quit and then right when you are so mad you could just scream, a nice female voice is on the phone offering you a load.

so i was sitting here thinking. i have seen alot. what are some things that you would like to share about what you have seen on the road?

a few of mine are...

1. at the petro in atlanta, a nice young woman (while doped up and eating rice out of her hand) wanted to share with me the scars on her butt from some scuffle she had been in the day before while trying to crawl in my truck to 'use my cb to call her mom' hmmmmm i think not

2. the islamic temple on I75 and the big Jesus statue with his hands stretched toward the sky- also on I75 are both beautiful strucures that take your breath away when you look at them...although i wish the islamic temple wasnt there. aint it funny how a few bad apples ruin it for the whole gang?

3. the fact that you can wake up in texas -drive all day and all night and still not reach the other side of texas!:+ :+

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
RE: what is the most memorable thing you have expe

Us locals call that Touchdown Jesus.
There are some pictures of some OSU fans standing in the foreground doing the OHIO with TD jesus being the H.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

Both involve Canada: Canadian Rockies after a snow storm and a High Pressure system setteling in, thru Jasper National Park. The photos I have are some of the best I have ever taken, streams, elk, long horn sheep, sun setting, snow blowing over the tops of 12K mtn tops.

Second was on June 22, 2005 Saskatoon, SK a once in a hundred year storm crawled over the rookies and cought so many houses on fire with lightening strikes they ran out of fire trucks to put out that many fires. The only expresway in town the next morning was not flooded but mudded closed, they were using snow plows, backhowes etc.. everything but a pitchfork to clean out the expressway.

Talk about lightening, rain, wind. Wow it was one big storm, but it was also beautiful to see as I was watching it for about 2 hours at 1am mtn time to 3am. The sun actually rose that morning before 4 am and the sky began to get bright three hours after the sun set the evening before, thought I was imagining things?????

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

there are many,but comming off the mountain going into el paso txs,from the east,seeing the stars in the western sky and all those beautiful lights in el paso

herronryan

Seasoned Expediter

hahahahaha i almost spit my omelet across the room when i saw touchdown jesus!!!hahahaha i can imagne

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Coming eastbound through the Gorge at about 0600.

Visting our Trucker Buddy class in Moundville Alabama.

Being forced off the road by a Wahington State Tropper in Ellenburg WA.We had a haz/mat load and he felt that we shouldn't be driving at night in marginal conditions. He certainly didn't get an arguement from us.

I 10 from San Antonio to El Paso at night.

Ferry from Nova Scotia to Portland Maine.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter

I once spent an evening with Willie and Lester, The ventriloquist and his dummy, in a hotel in Cincinnati. Willie was drunk and "Lester" was telling my girlfriend in graphic detail what he would like to do with her....That night I will never forget!

MOUNTAINMAN

Expert Expediter

If I Remember Correctly, I-40 East Bound Albuquerque N.M. And The Birth Of My 2 Girls

TJ959

Veteran Expediter

I70 between Denver and Grand Junction CO

Route 17 north out of Sault Ste Marie Ontario

and all of the neat museums, historical markers and points of interest I've encountered when empty.

romoore245

Expert Expediter

The night mars past the closest ever to the earth the media made such a big deal about it, we had to drive through Roswell that night. White knuckles all the way.

The southern CA. Mountains no dirt just bare rocks stacked that's one of the best things to see.

Going North bound into Cincinnati OH on I75 one of the best views.

Being stuck in Canada on the second anniversary of 9-11 closed the border for a few hours.

The THING in NM only a Buck.

Home always great to see

driver628

Seasoned Expediter

I agree with romoore, going N-I75 getting to the top of the big hill and just rolling over it to see cinncinatti on your way down I always thought was a cool sight. My favorite was the first time I went threw the AZ desert. It was like I was on another planet, never having seen anything like it, only pine trees and hay fields up north.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Well, of all the things I remember seeing, my fav was always the following sign, letting me know it was almost time to see my family.

It's funny, I always got a little smile when I saw it. Maybe I'm just strange... wait, bad choice of words.. LOL.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

are12

Expert Expediter

The most memorable thing for me:

going horseback riding in the Bad Lands.

FireGears

Expert Expediter

I70 between Denver and Grand Junction CO

TJ959...

You got that right..!!!!

How about those canyon lands on I-70
between Grand Junction and Green River, UT..????

ATeam

Retired Expediter

>Well, of all the things I remember seeing, my fav was always
>the following sign, letting me know it was almost time to
>see my family.
>
>It's funny, I always got a little smile when I saw it.
>Maybe I'm just strange... wait, bad choice of words.. LOL.
>
>
>
>Dreamer
>Forums Administrator

The sign I understand. But in my wildest dreams, I never would have imagined they had aluminum rainbows in Ohio;)

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

We were waiting on a load in Portland,Oregon about 2 years ago,and that was the when Mt.St. Helens decided to do some major venting.

It wasn't to far to drive to get a look "up close and personal".We got to within 5 miles of the mountain and it was awesome.

We overheard some of the tourists talking about the Fedex truck they followed up to the observation point,and that they figured it was bringing seismic equipment up there to keep tabs on what was going on.

We just said "nope,just doing the tourist thing just like you".DD.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

Another one,was being stopped on I-95 in Virginia for about 4 hrs.,because the D.C. sniper had just shot another victim at the Ponderosa steakhouse in Ashland,Virginia.DD.

dpea9

Expert Expediter

Flying around in a circle for 20 minutes watching a pack of wolves trying to take down a Muskox in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska.

ITS NOT GUN CONTROL
ITS PEOPLE CONTROL

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Watching testing of a couple Sikorsky Black Hawk gun platforms while waiting to be unloaded, got half way into the dock, told to stop and wait then sat for 5 hours before I got the OK to back the rest of the way into the dock. It is an amazing piece of machinery and to see it being flight tested is just amazing and to see them fly for the very first time and go through the different stages really makes one appreciate them. I was just invited to watch the jets practice at Miramar but won’t make that one this time.

Watching the sun rising in the Rockies in the morning and see it set that evening from the same spot – yes I was getting paid for sitting so it was more memorable.

But the most memorable (because it happened sometime last week) was ‘rescuing’ a ‘movie star’ from the Paparazzi, God I hate L.A.! It was absolutely amazing to watch these people try to figure out where she went to and the 6 hours of waiting for them to go was an experience like pulling teeth (or fingernails on a black board) because she would not shut up about her ‘problems’, not asking me one thing about me or my family. I told her in the middle of telling me how she panics with Paparazzi that just maybe she should have chosen a different career, like beautician or cleaning girl – she did not like that at all. Although my wife did not believe me at first, her first response was if it is true, she was going to fly here and kick my a** because I promised her that I would never have riders in my truck for any reason. But when she got a phone call from this star’s publicist about signing the NDA so I don’t talk about what happened, it really got her mad and could hear her scream all the way from home. The up side of this is I got the ‘experience’ of meeting a very insecure and rather sad individual, getting some money out of it, even though the entertainment of watching the Keystone Cops run around was enough she gave me everything she had on her and left a note for me thanking me. The down side is she took one of my books I just bought, maybe the reason for the money.