Heating / Cooling What is considerd to be the ESPAR of Air Conditioning systems?

TonyD

Active Expediter
4kw genset. Rooftop ac. Golfcart batteries inverter/charger. Heaters. All good. Will upgrade to espar heat by next winter time. We carry more tech than a moonshot mission. Lol.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, the model of restraint. Out of curiosity, what exactly did it contribute to add the hey dummy comment in that post?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Yes, the model of restraint.
That would be the converse of ... the model of complete lack of restraint ... which could be characterized by say, oh ... I dunno ... the idea that email spammers ought to be summarily executed with a bullet behind the ear ... and other similarly whack-a-doodle notions ...

Out of curiosity, what exactly did it contribute to add the hey dummy comment in that post?
I have no idea what you are referring to - since I made no "hey dummy" comment ...

I simply clarified what my exact setup was, and pointed out that the unit's actual efficiency, in terms of it's own (mechanical) operation, does not change ...

Perhaps you are confusing my comments with those of someone else ...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's exactly the comment I meant. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way but you have such a history of picking the tiniest of nits and belittling posts at any opportunity that it came across as another case of the same.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
That's exactly the comment I meant. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way but you have such a history of picking the tiniest of nits and belittling posts at any opportunity that it came across as another case of the same.
... to you ...

I assume that the person I was replying to can speak for themselves if they were offended (rather than relying on you) ... if memory serves, they have done exactly that on multiple occasions, when they felt it was appropriate ...

(Note to self: LDB has very tender sensibilities ... similar to The Mutt ... tread lightly ...)

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I never had an APU on my straight, but from everything I have read and heard, the ThermoKing Tripac is by far the best and most dependable. The tripac actually uses an Espar heater for heat and then the APU does the a/c. It is a pretty neat system.

For my money though, I wouldn't use any of the standard APU's if I had a place to mount a rooftop. If I had a place for it, I would go with a rooftop, an Espar and a good quality generator. Onan Quiet Diesel is what most use and they are very nice generators. There other generators though. This setup is by far the most reliable from everything I've heard over the years.

What kind of rooftop would you get if you had the space? I looked up those Onan's wow that thing cost almost as much as my sprinter :)

Anyone use one of these ? or have a suggestion for a diesel generator that is compact and under $2500-3000?

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/pro-se...contractor-generator-gensd7.html#.USwqePktfEA

http://robinamerica.com/series.aspx?sid=14

I'm just going to get one of these and a good generator for now. My sprinter is got a nice tall roof so this unit won't effect the cargo space since I'll be able to build a nice shelf and elevate it up and may cut a hole in roof for airvent hose or possibly floor.

http://www.lg.com/us/air-conditioners/lg-LP1411SHR-portable-air-conditioner

for the budget minded and reliability.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu3000is

This looks like the one to have!
http://www.cumminsonan.com/rv/products/diesel/compare?gensetId=122&detail=true

Has anyone mounted this on a sprinter, where is a good spot? Possibly underneath hidden?

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
What kind of rooftop would you get if you had the space? I looked up those Onan's wow that thing cost almost as much as my sprinter :)
I would probably talk to a few RV dealers and see what is best. I put a low profile Dometic on my van, but it was expensive with a wall thermostat, etc. I paid $1200 or so for mine and installed it myself. Guido paid half that for his at the surplus place in IN, but his is not low profile. He does have a remote control to adjust the temp with..which is every bit as convenient as my expensive thermostat, I would think.
You could always use the Honda 2000 watt generator, but you want to make sure that whatever rooftop you buy is capable being powered by the generator. There are a lot of options. If you wanted to build or buy one of the swingout generator racks for the back...or a rack on the front, you could run a generator like Guido's. I think it's a 3500 watt or something. All the power you need.

For my van, the Onan gas generators work great. Mine is a 2800 watt, with a fuel line directly from the van tank to the generator. I bought an "underbody mounting kit" and mounted it right under the rear of the van. You can't even see it. The tailpipe sticks out just behind my mudflap and is the only clue you have that I even have a generator. I don't think my setup would work on a sprinter though. I'm not sure the Sprinter has so much room under there like mine does...and of course, you can't run a direct line to it with the generator being a gasser.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Another thing...my post promoting the quiet diesel Onan...that would be for a straight truck. I'm told there are generators available for Sprinters that most of us don't ever see. If I wanted to get a really nice generator setup for a Sprinter...possibly a small diesel generator built just for a Sprinter...I would start looking for the places that build the Sprinter motorhomes. I would think they have something for it. I'm guessing it won't be cheap though.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The generators for the Sprinter motorhomes are mounted inside the vehicle with an access door on the outside. It's mounted at the rear of the vehicle behind the passenger-side tire. The same setup won't work on an expedite vehicle, because it requires the wider body and the dually rear wheels that go along with it. Otherwise there isn't enough room to get a skid in there. Can't have a generator mounted there that protrudes inward any farther than the wheel well.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The generators for the Sprinter motorhomes are mounted inside the vehicle with an access door on the outside. It's mounted at the rear of the vehicle behind the passenger-side tire. The same setup won't work on an expedite vehicle, because it requires the wider body and the dually rear wheels that go along with it. Otherwise there isn't enough room to get a skid in there. Can't have a generator mounted there that protrudes inward any farther than the wheel well.
That would explain why we have never seen one, huh? :D

I like the swing out racks ok...I like the front rack better, if you can get one on a Sprinter. For me, carrying a generator and gas can inside the van just ain't gonna happen...lol. I know lots of people do...just not for me.

TonyD

Active Expediter
This is our setup. Will swtich to Honda

Attachments

• 1361913431937.jpg
    1361913431937.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 41

TonyD

Active Expediter
Had a guy I know in Gainesville fl work it up. Only thing I could find online was 1000. Going to swap this setup out for a Honda 3000 inverter style with remote start. Then wrap it the same way. This one is just a bit noiser and no remote.