What heater do you use with ur genny?

d_b1486

Active Expediter
Just wanted to see how ppl stay warm. What heaters do use with ur generator? What genny n what heater, how effective in winter? Last year I used a regular forced air heater from walmart made for medium room, and it basically sucked.

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I use a big buddy LP heater....I have a Honda 2000i but the electric heaters make it run too hard..in my opinion..

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

d_b1486

Active Expediter
I use a big buddy LP heater....I have a Honda 2000i but the electric heaters make it run too hard..in my opinion..

Same feeling here bout the 2000i. I have one and I don't Like the stress it's under when running an electric heater at 1500watts. The big buddy one u have is it safe indoors? What precautions do u take when running it? Thx

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Just crack the front Windows 2" or so....works fine....I'm still here after 3 winters...there thing is oxygen...I also crack the roof vent a tad...yah the small electric heater will make the gen run 10 x harder than my ac...can't sleep with gen just screaming...

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Just wanted to see how ppl stay warm. What heaters do use with ur generator? What genny n what heater, how effective in winter? Last year I used a regular forced air heater from walmart made for medium room, and it basically sucked.

Webasto or espar. We have never been so warm in the winter. We have a fairly large sleeper and have only used it above "half throttle" on the coldest of nights. At the expo this year it looked like quite a few van/sprinters were now using them.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have been using a Big Buddy LP hearter since I started doing this almost 5 yrs ago...As asj, open the windows a few inches, open the roof vent and keep warm..so warm that i have to run it on low for most of the night....oh and i carry 2 16lb bottles of LP...never want to run out.....:D

Oh, I also use a electric heated matteress pad for those nights that aren't coldenough for the heater...

I also have a 2200 /2000 watt Honeywell gen/inverter but that is strictly for the 8000 btu AC unit...

Last edited:

d_b1486

Active Expediter
Thanks guys. I I'll give the big buddy a try this winter I guess. How long does it run on a single 16lb cylinder? Ever calculate how much it's costs per hour to run?

On a side question, how long does your genny run on a single gas tank with the 8k btu? And how big is ur tank? 1 or 1.1 gallon? I have a 5000btu and I run a tv most of the time if I'm standing, I get about 8 hrs on the Hondas 1.1 gallon with Eco on.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Never figured the cost to run the heater cause i really don't care..keeping warm is the important part, not the cost...as for how long a 16 tank last, just depends on how often you have to use it...sit in Racine wisc in mid jan for a few days, you will go throught both bottles quick as you will have it on all the time...it also depends on how hot you want it...the BIG buddy has 3 different settings 4000, 8000, and 12,000 btus so the hotter you want it, the more it will use...I know that u 1 lb bottle set on 8000 btus will last 4 to 5 hrs...and the usage also is affected by how much OUTSIDE air gets into the van...the more outside air, the longer the burn...

As for the gas usage on the generator, I don't use the gas tank on the generator at all...I disconnected it totally and use a 6 gallon external tank that i connect to the generator with "quick disconnect fittings" and i will be changing that over to connect the generator directly to the van fuel tank before next summer so i will then have up to 33 gallons to run it on...

As of right now, I have run the generator for up to 20 hours off the 6 gallon tank and still had gas left....i figure i can get around 30-36 hrs if i pushed it...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I tried out my buddy heater in my sleeper when I had to stay with the truck a few times and I set it at a level lower than the lowest level - just barely on but with complete combustion and the little one pound bottles last 5 to 6 hours with the sleeper actually too hot to sleep in.

d_b1486

Active Expediter
Well that seems like a long time. Don't have to worry about getting up and refilling the generator in the middle of the night to stay warm. I see u must have an older version. I see the Selling in stores now is a 4000 9000 n 18000 btu and has some electric heat flow also u can use for maximum results it says. Guess will have to purchase it and see this winter.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Greg wrote:

with the sleeper actually too hot to sleep in.

That is sooo easy to believe..these heaters work great..and the better insulated the truck is the better they heat it up..just make sure you have good air circulation and ventilation and you are good to go...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yea mine is 5 yrs old..lol, and it has taken a beating...as for the fan that they come with, it will burn up quick being used as we do...it is a 12 volt and not real big at all...I actually bought a 8 inch fan and used 2 hose clamps to clamp it to the "carry handle" on top of the heater itself...it moves more air and i can plug it into the inverter and not worry about it..

d_b1486

Active Expediter
That's good to know they last that long. About how much does a 16lb tank cost? To buy n to fill after purchase?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I bought three edon pure heaters, one for ea C/Van and one for my bedroom at home. They don't take up much room, they are safe and they take very little power to run them. My drivers keep them on all the time with their inverters while running just to help keep the whole van warm. They have two sizes, room size and house size. Room size is plenty for the van.

d_b1486

Active Expediter
U say to help keep the van warm while running?
So they van is running and they run the Eden at the same time also?

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
webasco-incredible heat-blows you out!!!! uses a cup of deisel in 8 hours 9so the dealer says }