What happens if you die on the road?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Got to try and tell this story. I have experience moving corpses. A friend of mine used to be our county coroner and I would help him move bodies when they needed it.

At the time I owned a 206 Cessna airplane and would remove the right seat and lay a body next to me and fly it wherever they needed to go. All they do is put the body on a liter with a sheet over them. I landed at a small airport to top off the tanks. The gas man was a older black man. He came out to the aircraft and asked how much I wanted and I told him to fill it. That type of aircraft requires the gas man to put a ladder up next to the cockpit to fill the wing tank from the top. While he was filling the tank he was looking down into the windshield and the body had what we call an involuntary reaction and sat up. Well when it did the sheet fell down and the man just sat straight up. The gas man fell back off the ladder onto the pavement. Everyone in the terminal saw what happened and figured he had a heart attack or something. The gas man jumped up and ran to the hanger area and no one could find him. Myself and the manager went back out to the plane to finish fueling and the manager turned to me and said that their wasn't supposed to be anyone in the aircraft while it was fueling. I said it's okay he's dead, he just sat up to check things out. I had to finish everything myself, no one else would come out. True Story.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i was with fedexcc i drove a cont truck back to his home in wv for the family when he die on road
also could of month ago had med emg and ceva was ready to pick my wife up and bring her
hosptial told no need to do that, but after i got out of hosptial they put me up in hotel for night

paullud

Veteran Expediter
CEVA seems to care about their drivers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

moose

Veteran Expediter
I have a 'Donor' printed on the CDL, with any luck they can get to me in time to salvage some used parts. once a family member is notify, they will know exactly what to do, it's all been practiced over & over again.
also, while away on the road, if there's a death in the family, my carrier is well trained and understanding. i have a travel agent friend that will book me a flight from the nearest Airport, and find a secured place to park the rig. dispatch then send a truck to finish the run, which will cost me some money.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
If you're not sure what happens when you die, it seems like a conversation with your pastor might be in order. There are some on here who could help you in that area as well.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
It's clearly a personal decision. Then you hope your wish's will be honored. I printed up some small cards, sealed them in plastic. Has my Niece name, personal & work phone #'s. My Attorney and one personal friend phone # to be notified. It also say's I have a living Will, power of a Attorney to my Niece. No extraordinary attempts, do not resuscitate, organ donor. Organ donor is also on my licence. This card in no larger then my drivers licence. There's a copy with my trucks registration, & in my wallet.