What happened to Expeditors online?

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
Years ago there were numerous posts a day. A lot of great conversation. Today you barely have a handful of people posting.

Wonder why that is? You think it has something to do with expeditors getting out of the business? Do you think Freights moving so great for expeditors that they just don't have time to come in here?

Or perhaps it's because people get blocked for things that the "in" crowd are permitted to do.

My account was suspended a couple of years ago after I responded to another individual on this page he was running their mouth towards me. Apparently on this page as long as you've been here long enough and know the right people... You can say and do whatever you want without consequence. Is that the case moderators?

Now of course this account will get banned again. But it's completely all right. When you ban people you do nothing but show that individual and the entire world that what they said was important enough to strike a nerve with you. Which at the end of the day means victory. I'm really surprised the moderators on this website hasn't already figured that out.

On to my next project. I'm going to be developing a website in the coming months that is similar to this one. It will have most if not all the features and options of this one has. Including a very nice interactive app. It's going to Target the modern generation of expeditors, owner operators, contract drivers, dispatchers, etc. It will also have a message board where people can discuss things. However people won't be blocked or banned whenever they say something that hurts one of the moderators feelings. Everyone here will be welcome! Including you ragman. :)

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Funny, I just posted about this in another thread before coming here ;)

..."I think we need to start a new recruitment campaign :cool:
Personally, I don't think many new people know we are even here. I've had so many blank looks over the years when I talk to someone about EO" :rolleyes:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Years ago there were numerous posts a day. A lot of great conversation. Today you barely have a handful of people posting.

Wonder why that is? You think it has something to do with expeditors getting out of the business? Do you think Freights moving so great for expeditors that they just don't have time to come in here?

Or perhaps it's because people get blocked for things that the "in" crowd are permitted to do.

My account was suspended a couple of years ago after I responded to another individual on this page he was running their mouth towards me. Apparently on this page as long as you've been here long enough and know the right people... You can say and do whatever you want without consequence. Is that the case moderators?

Now of course this account will get banned again. But it's completely all right. When you ban people you do nothing but show that individual and the entire world that what they said was important enough to strike a nerve with you. Which at the end of the day means victory. I'm really surprised the moderators on this website hasn't already figured that out.

On to my next project. I'm going to be developing a website in the coming months that is similar to this one. It will have most if not all the features and options of this one has. Including a very nice interactive app. It's going to Target the modern generation of expeditors, owner operators, contract drivers, dispatchers, etc. It will also have a message board where people can discuss things. However people won't be blocked or banned whenever they say something that hurts one of the moderators feelings. Everyone here will be welcome! Including you ragman. :)

Many have tried all have failed

Sent from lost in space.

Reactions: RLENT

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Funny, I just posted about this in another thread before coming here ;)

..."I think we need to start a new recruitment campaign :cool:
Personally, I don't think many new people know we are even here. I've had so many blank looks over the years when I talk to someone about EO" :rolleyes:
I tell everyone about this site. But everyone wants to run to fb or YouTube. There's a group im on on fb and I bet I post EO 15-20 times a day.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Wonder why that is? You think it has something to do with expeditors getting out of the business?
In my case, that's exactly the reason. Once very active on EO and interested in all things expediting, I'm only occasionally active now as I'm not in the business any more.

On to my next project. I'm going to be developing a website in the coming months that is similar to this one. It will have most if not all the features and options of this one has. Including a very nice interactive app. It's going to Target the modern generation of expeditors, owner operators, contract drivers, dispatchers, etc.
I'd be interested to hear what the "modern generation of expediters" is. What makes this generation different from those that came before? Expediting is now old enough to have a generation or two, depending on how you define them. How do you define the "modern generation?"

Diane and I were in the business 2003-2013. At that time there was a group we might call the "founding generation," consisting of those who put the first-ever expediting trucks and vans on the road. We were not in that generation. When we entered, they had many years of experience under their belt and many memories to share as they predadated cell phones, GPS and fancy sleepers. When they took photos, they went to the drug store to get them developed. Truck stops had banks of pay phones back then. These founders carried rolls of coins and made frequent stops at outdoor phone booths to communicate with dispatch. They had stacks of paper maps and atlases in their rigs. And they made good money.

Diane's and my generation, if there is such a thing, were spoiled in comparison. We had mobile phones, Qualcomm units, big sleepers and automatic transmissions. We left white collar professions to become expediters. Some of the founders than cautioned us about the rigors of the road but they were referencing challenges they had that we never encountered because the job became more comfortable as technology advanced and the industry matured.

So what do we call the generations?
1. The Founders
2. The Easy Riders
3. The "Modern Generation?"

Last edited:

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my case, that's exactly the reason. Once very active on EO and interested in all things expediting, I'm only occasionally active now as I'm not in the business any more.

I'd be interested to hear what the "modern generation of expediters" is. What makes this generation different from those that came before? Expediting is now old enough to have a generation or two, depending on how you define them. How do you define the "modern generation?"

Diane and I were in the business 2003-2013. At that time there was a group we might call the "founding generation," consisting of those who put the first-ever expediting trucks and vans on the road. We were not in that generation. When we entered, they had many years of experience under their belt and many memories to share as they predadated cell phones, GPS and fancy sleepers. When they took photos, they went to the drug store to get them developed. Truck stops had banks of pay phones back then. These founders carried rolls of coins and made frequent stops at outdoor phone booths to communicate with dispatch. They had stacks of paper maps and atlases in their rigs. And they made good money.

Diane's and my generation, if there is such a thing, were spoiled in comparison. We had mobile phones, Qualcomm units, big sleepers and automatic transmissions. We left white collar professions to become expediters. Some of the founders than cautioned us about the rigors of the road but they were referencing challenges they had that we never encountered because the job became more comfortable as technology advanced and the industry matured.

So what do we call the generations?
1. The Founders
2. The Easy Riders
3. The "Modern Generation?"
I think that many, not all, expeditors stick to themselves anymore. The fellowship and friendliness just isn't there anymore. So much has changed since I started the OTR segment of expediting. Before 95. I ran mostly local Ohio expedite where I was home nights and weekends starting in 89.

"The modern generation".....Such a touchy subject....I may be stepping on some toes here and there...

There are still many expeditors demonstrating professionalism by the way they dress, drive, talk, maintain their vehicles mechanically and in appearance. ....

And then there are some that don't know what a shower is, English language. or proper shoes and clothing for that matter. In my opinion, flip flops and sandals are beachwear....not appropriateto be worn while driving, or walking in a factory.....their vehicles may appear like they ran a few rounds with those dodgem cars at an amusement park. But maybe carriers are to blame for just hiring anyone??? Maybe the multicarrier model as well??...Harsh, but true...tough love..

Many years ago Phil Madsen wrote a pamphlet that was a well written and very accurate and a informative guide for new and seasoned expediters...I still have mine...I wish that this guide was made available once again, as this would really help someone considering this business...Resizer_16384068481980.jpg

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the reasons for the decline in posts here could be attributed to the overwhelming number of regular members, and regular posters being van drivers.
It seems few straight truck drivers come here anymore.
Then there are the FB groups where people already are, as well as the expediters who went on the YouTube craze and pulled people away from EO.
Maybe I'm in this "New Generation"? I just got into expediting in 2014, but back then EO was the place to be to discuss the industry with other straight truck O/Os and drivers. I did 99% of my research here prior to making the switch to expedite.
Not to slam van drivers, but I believe if more straight truck drivers were here, it could promote more conversations and be more beneficial to those who do not want a Van Life.
Just my $0.02

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Many years ago Phil Madsen wrote a pamphlet that was a well written and very accurate and a informative guide for new and seasoned expediters...I still have mine...I wish that this guide was made available once again, as this would really help someone considering this business...
Wow! I had forgotten about that piece until you mentioned it here. It turns out I still have it on file. While EO published it, I retained copyright rights to the piece so I can share it if you wish. It is a bit dated, I would think. Written in 2012.

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow! I had forgotten about that piece until you mentioned it here. It turns out I still have it on file. While EO published it, I retained copyright rights to the piece so I can share it if you wish. It is a bit dated, I would think. Written in 2012.
Outdated as it may be, it will still be a great help to those who are considering this business. A well written guide.

Reactions: Jason2