WG Glove Changes

Dr Phil

Rookie Expediter
So sad...C.C. used to have very high standards to be in W.G... now it looks like anyone can get in. Plus did you also read that Surface Expedite truck can do tval loads if they become certified and pull a C.C trailer.
I remember when Fed was picky about the trucks pulling the customers high value cargo., and we're proud to be in that group. Have they really looked at a lot of the trucks in Surface? I see them all the time. Dirty, oily needing maintenance. And some of the teams.. not caring about appearance of them selfs.
Not saying all are this way but their are many. But it's a way of getting the highl prophet loads covered under the flat rate plan...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Just looking to drive down rates even more.

How is this going to drive down rates? I did not realize that the qualifications to be in WG set rates?

The info was also in the weekly email and I do wish that qualifications to get into WG would go higher and if that can not be done get rid of WG as it does not mean much any more.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It looks to me like WG is reacting to recruiting pressures. When the applicant list grows short and or disappears, something must be done. Why would the list go down? MONEY! If one cannot earn enough to cover today's cost, people are less attracted.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I called and they are not accepting any C or D dry boxes. They seemed to be only interested in finding tractors to pull company owned reefer trailers.

Sent from my XT897 using EO Forums mobile app

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
How is this going to drive down rates? I did not realize that the qualifications to be in WG set rates?

The info was also in the weekly email and I do wish that qualifications to get into WG would go higher and if that can not be done get rid of WG as it does not mean much any more.

WG means you are not on flat rate and can still negotiate rates.

Jeepers

Expert Expediter
It's a bunch of scat. Listed next under the reduction of qualifications is the notice that new teams pulling fcr trailers can get a $2000 bonus! What about those that have been here for years? Retention bonus? Hah. Can anyone list any positive changes that have happened since Virginia went into hiding?
I am tired of making excuses to customers for the company trailer drivers that have shown up before me.

This sounds like yet another attempt by someone playing CYA...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Lower qualifications leads to lower rates. Just more lower end trucks willing to run for less.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Lower qualifications leads to lower rates. Just more lower end trucks willing to run for less.

Yep. It's pretty obvious. Flat rate will be here soon. Panther pays .05 extra for tval equipment over a base dry box. I believe FDCC will pay better than that, but the $2/mile days will be over real soon I bet. Time is coming for the vets to cash out and the youngins to re-evaluate their business model. I'd put some real money on that.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep. It's pretty obvious. Flat rate will be here soon. Panther pays .05 extra for tval equipment over a base dry box. I believe FDCC will pay better than that, but the $2/mile days will be over real soon I bet. Time is coming for the vets to cash out and the youngins to re-evaluate their business model. I'd put some real money on that.

Anything less than $2 per mile is losing money. We are already making less, WAY LESS, than we were 3 or 4 years ago and our expenses, both trucking and non-trucking related, continue to rise. That is NOT a good direction to be traveling in. It's kinda like driving down a one way highway in the wrong direction, it is a wreck waiting to happen.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Anything less than $2 per mile is losing money. We are already making less, WAY LESS, than we were 3 or 4 years ago and our expenses, both trucking and non-trucking related, continue to rise. That is NOT a good direction to be traveling in. It's kinda like driving down a one way highway in the wrong direction, it is a wreck waiting to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone this move, I just think that's where they are headed. They even said in the surface fleet conference calls that if you couldn't afford to buy a new truck at the new rates then you should go look for a used one so your payment will be lower and you can run at the new rates. Don't think they won't reuse that line.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't get me wrong, I don't condone this move, I just think that's where they are headed. They even said in the surface fleet conference calls that if you couldn't afford to buy a new truck at the new rates then you should go look for a used one so your payment will be lower and you can run at the new rates. Don't think they won't reuse that line.

I was not taking you wrong, I was agreeing with you. Their push to lower everything is going to backfire, it's just a matter of when. Low rates and high costs means junk equipment. Service will continue to drop. Quality is not going t be able to be maintained. Typical short term thinking.

Is a sale of CC in the cards maybe?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I was not taking you wrong, I was agreeing with you. Their push to lower everything is going to backfire, it's just a matter of when. Low rates and high costs means junk equipment. Service will continue to drop. Quality is not going t be able to be maintained. Typical short term thinking.

Is a sale of CC in the cards maybe?

You know, that's something I haven't considered. I always thought of it as making the company look good to mother FedEx, I never thought about what it would need to look like to look good to someone else...

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Isn't this how rumors get started?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was not trying to start rumors, I am asking a legit question. There is little sense to what is going on, at least from out here.

From my way of thinking any quality company that wished to remain a quality company would be working hard to RAISE standards, instead of lowering them. One does have to wonder why in the world standards would continue to be lowered on a regular basis.

flat

Rookie Expediter
I brought this up in the conf. calls. They will lose the season drivers and can't cover the loads that we were in business to do. Not common freight. The flat rate should be a min of $1.65 the lowest any C or D be sent out at. Leave the discount load go to the discount
carriers and when they see what they get for their money then they will call FDCC. I'm sure Landstar & Bolts are enjoying this cluster

aimeejos

Active Expediter
Are you guys not aware of the investment FDCC made in purchasing a ****load of FCR trailers??? Are you also not aware that for the most part they are unable to keep trucks pulling them? They had to change the w/g qualifications in order to get trucks/drivers....
We tried it out a year ago... The program was awful with low rates and few miles. The dedicated dispatchers were not helpful to us when we questioned them and it seemed the rules changed every day. If you didn't have a load op on Thursday afternoon than you could plan on sitting for the weekend. If nothing came in on Friday for Monday then you were out of luck til Tuesday. I know of several good trucks who tried it out but switched back to surface. I know of a fleet owner who went from 4 trucks in the FCR crew to leaving FDCC completely.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Are you guys not aware of the investment FDCC made in purchasing a ****load of FCR trailers??? Are you also not aware that for the most part they are unable to keep trucks pulling them? They had to change the w/g qualifications in order to get trucks/drivers....
We tried it out a year ago... The program was awful with low rates and few miles. The dedicated dispatchers were not helpful to us when we questioned them and it seemed the rules changed every day. If you didn't have a load op on Thursday afternoon than you could plan on sitting for the weekend. If nothing came in on Friday for Monday then you were out of luck til Tuesday. I know of several good trucks who tried it out but switched back to surface. I know of a fleet owner who went from 4 trucks in the FCR crew to leaving FDCC completely.

Well then that's good news for those of us driving br, cr & dr trucks.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What Person said that. Must have got there Degree in underwater Basket weaving. Weather you buy New or Used its going to cost you plenty. Used trucks come with baggage they are worn out Brakes, Brake Drums, Hoses, Water Pumps, Belts, Ac Compressors, Air Compressors, Radiators, fan Clutches, Injectors, Tires, Shocks, Air Bags, the list goes on and on. You buy 2nd hand you buy some one else Problems. Why do the big companies jettison the trucks around 450,000 miles at best. Wore out or darn near. YEs you can get a warranty on a used truck but it about as useless as milking a Bull. New Trucks they got their issues as well, but at least warranty (If you can afford to have the thing in the shop every 2 to 3 weeks. Then CA issues if your a 2007 upgrades cost to be compliant got 4000 to 6000 to upgrade a used Truck. As we speak the 2010 and 2012 and 2013 Newer Trucks still got a lot of bugs and high miles so think again if your buy Sensors ect. Not to mention the 3000 it cost to clean out the Exhaust as its got to be cleaned and baked out that has got to happen every 200,000 miles It costs. Yup Lower Rates to run. Really how is one going to pay for Belts Tires oil changes Exhaust Burn outs, Sensor replacement. Air Bags, Seals Brake Chambers. New Used. Fuel not cheap either. Wake up never - never land is not real. No matter how you slice the pie it cost money to haul it. The trucks got to make a profit they need it more to keep in service. Other wise you will end up with a rag tag fleet of trucks breaking down all the time. Have a Nice day.

Last edited: