Weird electric problem

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last year I bought a cheap plastic clamp on 12 volt fan from Loves. I noticed right away that when it plugged into the lighter port that my power door lock fob doesn't work. I need to lock the doors from the hard wired switches. Not a big deal.

Now I have installed a TV and outside antenna. Now when I plug in this cheap fan, my power door locks still don't work but it also kills my tv reception. It goes from watching TV to "no signal" but of course the DVD still works.

Should I just throw away this fan??? I was going to mount a roof fan but am afraid of getting the same problems with that. I don't want to have to choose between TV or airflow. Anyone else ever encounter anything like this??

Monty

Expert Expediter
I would say your fan is defective, sounds as it is giving off RFI, (radio frequency interference), big time. Just can't trust the Chinese to get it right! ;)

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
You know, the instructions I got with the new roof vent fan may shed some light on this for you.

It mentions that "permanent magnet motors & P.C. boards perform as designed on filtered DC current. Unfiltered DC current may create irritating noise from fan blade motors & failures in P.C. boards."

I wonder if the fan you have is run on a different battery source than the TV if it would still interfere, or if it is FRI as Notanewbie suggests. I have a small pocket inverter I sometimes plug into the 12v on the dash (powered by the starting battery) and it often affects the clarity of my FM signal or my iTunes playing through the radio.

If you have a true pure sine inverter, which is supposed to provide a much better and filtered current for electronics, and the fan is on the starting batt, what would happen? I have no clue, but am interested in what you find out. I bet the fan is not defective, but that it is not engineered well enough to use in combination with electronics or radio frequency devices.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've tried the fan on each battery. Last year I had no house battery, it caused problems. Now I plugged it into the house battery, same battery as the inverter and tv. Still stops my power locks and TV from working.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Okay my cheap fan like yours doesn't mess up my locks but does kill my tv signal! Or did last year on old truck...haven't plugged it in this truck.

)0( Nasmaste )0(

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now you have my curiousity. I have one of those fans, never used it much and always on its own battery. I have old-fashioned door locks and window cranks so it can't mess that up, it probably makes so much noise that playing the radio with it on is impossible anyway, no TV, the only question would be if it would mess with the computer if I bring my laptop along on a trip. I've used it so far only with a heater, to help spread the heat and circulate the air a bit.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most vehicals are multiplexed so one circuit runs several things. I would try a dedicated circuit. Batery to fuse, to kill swich, to fan.

Bob Wolf

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My TV set was running off my inverter using the house battery. The battery's were not connected to each other because the key was off. The 12 volt fan was plugged into the accessory port on the dash, using vehicle starting battery. Completely different circuits and completely differently battery's.

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I run a 14 in fan from fantastic fan it's 12 volt box type and I have no problem. They are a bit spendy but work well. There are at camping world.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's what I did. Bought an electric fan and plug it Into my inverter. I only use the 12 volt fan up front now when I'm just sitting and killing time between loads.