weekly profit ???

godslove139

Seasoned Expediter
When u experanced vets say you make $500 one week , then $3000. the next. Is that profit after you deduct your op expences. Or before you payout for fuel, truck, insurance,food....and so on?:eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Usually it's a gross revenue figure, before any expenses are taken out.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Net profit is gonna vary wildly between trucks and drivers, but what I do, at least, is it works about to be about a third is expenses (fuel and QC and insurance and stuff), a third goes to me, and a third goes to the truck (for maintenance and stuff). There's usually plenty left over in the truck account at the end of the year, of which some I might take for myself, or I'll use it to keep for either an unexpected maintenance or repair, or towards the next truck (van, actually).

godslove139

Seasoned Expediter
Net profit is gonna vary wildly between trucks and drivers, but what I do, at least, is it works about to be about a third is expenses (fuel and QC and insurance and stuff), a third goes to me, and a third goes to the truck (for maintenance and stuff). There's usually plenty left over in the truck account at the end of the year, of which some I might take for myself, or I'll use it to keep for either an unexpected maintenance or repair, or towards the next truck (van, actually).
Sounds good, So i'm single, no kids..unless you count my Bike, and new pu truck,,,and everyday bills.I could survive on the two,to three weeks out shopping at walmart to keep supplies in the cubbard,fridge.Try not eating out at truck stops.I could make a bank depisot of some change!! With a Sprinter Van expedite?

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Turtle,great move,breaking truck revenue into thirds,this is as its been done for years with successful owner opps in the trucking business.As running team,Ive modified that a little,but basically its still in thirds,just my co-driver doesnt get half of my third,actually gets more,but at end of year,I get it back,from truck expenses.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
The very first run I ever made took me to Florida.

I was standing in the "J" trying to figure out how to use the shower terminal. A Panther O/O should me how to use the terminal to get a Frequent Fueler Card and explained how to use the shower credits.

Over the weekend he took time to enlighten me about the Wonderful World of Expediting. During our conversation I asked about bookkeeping. He used the 60/40 method.

When he received an EFT from the carrier, 60% remained in his business checking account to cover all expenses and 40% was transfered into his personal checking accounting to meet the needs of his household expenses.

Based upon his success in the industry, I have been following that method myself.

Note: I would like to take this moment to personally say thank you to that Panther cargo van O/O who helped me January 2006 at the St. Augustine Flying J.

godslove139

Seasoned Expediter
ok, Lets say i made 2,600 net profit in the first month,I already deduted the fuel,lease payment,insurance,and other business expences form the gross profit.I would take half of each loaded dispatch to the business + fsc,then take net profit then deduct payroll taxes for me.what's the $ amount high you could earn a week.then the low gross ,then net,then your cut not taking out food,or personal spending you do each week out.You van driver's must be making money to put in the bank.Other wise you would not be o/o expediting...;)

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
depending if running solo or team,price of fuel,number of loads,it could be anywhere from a negative to as much as 2 or 3000 bucks,to many variables to give you an accurate answer.if you send 60% of your income each load,that should more than pay all your expenses and house hold bills.If you take the 40% advance,that will pay your road expenses,fuel tolls washes,even motels,and should keep money in your pocket to eat.This what I do,I run team,buy mo co-driver meals sometime,pay for motels on week ends,and eating money after these road expenses.The 60% I send home takes gare of drivers pay,all truck related issues and my bills that wont let me retire

godslove139

Seasoned Expediter
When u experanced vets say you make $500 one week , then $3000. the next. Is that profit after you deduct your op expences. Or before you payout for fuel, truck, insurance,food....and so on?:eek:

depending if running solo or team,price of fuel,number of loads,it could be anywhere from a negative to as much as 2 or 3000 bucks,to many variables to give you an accurate answer.if you send 60% of your income each load,that should more than pay all your expenses and house hold bills.If you take the 40% advance,that will pay your road expenses,fuel tolls washes,even motels,and should keep money in your pocket to eat.This what I do,I run team,buy mo co-driver meals sometime,pay for motels on week ends,and eating money after these road expenses.The 60% I send home takes gare of drivers pay,all truck related issues and my bills that wont let me retire
The first year i plan on paying what i need to get buy.Banking the rest,i feel i can make it in this industry.just get my current depts paid off.Before i go get my Home,until then it is a rv expedite lifestyle.I plan on living this in a spinter van.....:D:cool:

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
[Some of this is painted in a very pretty picture. Most of it accurate. Your gona have to decide what percent depending on income. You keep mentioning Van or Sprinter. One of these guys on here you could multiply the Van income by many numbers cause he and his team mate are in a TT and those produce some big bucks, in generating income and also in generating expenses. Profits are bigger and so are the risks, and the rewards.

One person mentioned 50/50 kinda hard to pay for a Truck, insurance, fuel, and repairs on only half. Right now fuel could run you EASILY 40% of every load if they do not come back to back since Ideling a Vehicle is so expensive at 4 to 5 a gallon and the average vehicle using a gallon an hour, you sit for two days 48x 4.50 thats now BIG BUCKS and gona eat into the 50% from somwhere.

If this were so easy to make a profit many more would be doing it. Many have tried and many have failed. Those with a Plan in advance seem to have the odds more in there favor.

In reading your response, you already have long term debt.(truck payment) In a Sprinter, from reading on here I doubt one can have any more than 400 a month in expenses at home just not enough income after expenses to cover those bills. What about Health Insurance? The food you eat on the road is not a business expense, thats seperate. Every Motel Room is cash out of pocket, and at the profits Vans earn I do not believe the old story well its a tax deducion cause most do not make enough income to pay much in taxes, so in truth its all cash out of pocket.

Remember, this is a business and business's are SUPPOST to make a profit. Otherwise its called a HOBBY.

Start on a plan and a Business Plan, otherwise not having a plan is a guaranted plan to FAIL.