weather band radio

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I would like to find a weather band radio with auto scan/tune capability. I am not sure that's the proper way to describe what I am looking for, but some time time ago I drove a vehicle that had an AM/Fm radio with built in weather band capability. When the radio was set on weather band, it would shift to the closest transmitter when traveling.

If anyone has an helpful hint, I would appreciate the help.

jimmy

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Ragman

I think I am looking for a radio with s.a.m.e. tech, the only thing I have found so far, is a radio that the owner has to know the NOA county code for the area they are in and program the code in. If traveling this might prove difficult.

jimmy

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks Ragman

I think I am looking for a radio with s.a.m.e. tech, the only thing I have found so far, is a radio that the owner has to know the NOA county code for the area they are in and program the code in. If traveling this might prove difficult.

jimmy

I really am not a techno-nerd, but i still think they can help you find what you're looking for.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I really am not a techno-nerd, but i still think they can help you find what you're looking for.

Yes sir, I think you are quite right, if I was techno-nerd enough to explain coherently, what I sought:confused:. Or if I was just coherent period:D

"SAME technology: SAME, or Specific Alert Message Encoding allows you to specify the particular area for which you wish to receive alerts. Most warnings and watches broadcast over NOAA Weather Radio are county-based or independent city-based (parish-based in Louisiana), although in a few areas of the country the alerts are issued for portions of counties. Since most NWR transmitters are broadcasting for a number of counties, SAME receivers will respond only to alerts issued for the area (or areas) you have selected. This minimizes the number of “false alarms” for events which might be a few counties away from where you live."

jimmy

Monty

Expert Expediter
But ... if you are traveling, same county does not apply.

Cobra makes a great cb with a weather radio built in.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I picked up a neat weather/am/fm radio this summer @ an estate sale...its powered by either solar,built in hand crank or 3 aaa.. it also has a usb port to charge your phone...pretty handy radio to have on the road..also a good addition to my prepping supplies...

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Er let me try to explain my problem. I was traveling through an unfamilar area one night and a thunderstorm popped up, real nice one at that The fm channel I was listening to gave out a tornado warning by county, I had no clue as to what county I was in . Just some where on I-20, twenty or 30 miles east of Birmingham. Lightening some wind and getting darker than usual. Really did not know how serious to take the tornado warning/watch. Time to hunt cover, or keep going and hope for the best.

jimmy

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Jimmy, a CB with NOAA channels will get you the closest and most up to date info, and simply selecting the channel with the strongest signal will give you the most local info, with details such as "Tornado just reported to have touched down on I-40 in Arkansas at MM 127."

Not sure of the MM but that one actually happened to me coming across Arkansas one stormy night. I was running just a few miles ahead of the storm. An exciting night, to be sure, and the NOAA channels on my CB kept me well informed.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
But ... if you are traveling, same county does not apply.

Cobra makes a great cb with a weather radio built in.

I picked up a neat weather/am/fm radio this summer @ an estate sale...its powered by either solar,built in hand crank or 3 aaa.. it also has a usb port to charge your phone...pretty handy radio to have on the road..also a good addition to my prepping supplies...

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Jimmy, a CB with NOAA channels will get you the closest and most up to date info, and simply selecting the channel with the strongest signal will give you the most local info, with details such as "Tornado just reported to have touched down on I-40 in Arkansas at MM 127."

Not sure of the MM but that one actually happened to me coming across Arkansas one stormy night. I was running just a few miles ahead of the storm. An exciting night, to be sure, and the NOAA channels on my CB kept me well informed.

Thanks folks

The CB with weather band may the way to go.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Not into CB but mine is a lil cobra with weather channels built in.Im think maybe 10 channels when I hit the weather button. And dont allways pick-up on the NOAA broadcast when weather blows up and Im out in the sticks. (Between towns) Maybe its just my radio is to small??
Wonder if a avaition type radio would be better for picking up NOAA in out laying areas. Price is propely out of reach tho.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Not into CB but mine is a lil cobra with weather channels built in.Im think maybe 10 channels when I hit the weather button. And dont allways pick-up on the NOAA broadcast when weather blows up and Im out in the sticks. (Between towns) Maybe its just my radio is to small??
Wonder if a avaition type radio would be better for picking up NOAA in out laying areas. Price is propely out of reach tho.

Is that one of the handheld units? If so, and your using the radio from inside the cab of your truck , an external antenna might improve your reception.

jimmy

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Is that one of the handheld units? If so, and your using the radio from inside the cab of your truck , an external antenna might improve your reception.

jimmy

Guess I didn't word that right..It a regular CB just not a very good one.its all hard wired into truck like normal..
Well not quite normal,, Aluim-bunk wired it so when the music box is on, the CB transmits inside my truck thru my stereo speakers..I was always afraid to let them fix it so I just shut off the stereo when I want to use the CB.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been thinking the Cobra weather band cb radio also. I've wondered if they really worked that well.Stop at a cb repair shop on the interstate somewhere and ask. I think they would give the best answer. I'm thinking new cb in the near futrue anyway.

Unles turtle has some knowlege on them.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I have one .... worked fine for me ..... understand when yer in the middle of the desert or mountains you may be limited in signal. NOAA broadcasts on very low power transmitters.

Some smart phones can do a weather app that alerts you to bad weather? I think.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

Yep, at least on iPhone I know, there's an app you can get that shows constantly updated radar and you can add hurricane watch etc. I have it and its pretty cool and useful.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have one .... worked fine for me ..... understand when yer in the middle of the desert or mountains you may be limited in signal. NOAA broadcasts on very low power transmitters.

My sons iphone has that.He gets updates before the local radio stations get them i think.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I saw a weather band radio at Menard's on Saturday for $11 or $12 in their Christmas specials area of the store, by all the other electronics like headphones, radios, DVD players, ect. Looked like it might be what you want. Not sure if it auto tunes or not.

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's a picture.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByEO Forums1353860968.888589.jpg
    ImageUploadedByEO Forums1353860968.888589.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 13

mike6784

Active Expediter
Off subject I lived close to the area you speak of and these people on Tuscaloosa were hit unexpectedly by that tornado . I've seen numerous tornadoes in that area while traveling doing HVAC work.