We have our Own Toy & Need Advice on Good Company to Drive for!

jackieg

Active Expediter
We want the company we sign with to have enough freight/load offers to keep us busy while making $$$... We've tried it both ways-long hauls to Texas (good miles/$...) and were then stuck for 3/4 days which then next drop off carried into the Next weeks pay... And short runs MI GA OH etc where the miles were pretty much for single driver-trying to avoid BOTH senerios!!! ( IF at all possible!) appreciate your thoughts!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Sadly, there is a learning curve.
And Luck.

The best thing you do is offer as many things as you can to a carrier, haz-mat, liftgate, Canada, etc.

Keep the truck and yourselves in shape to always be ready to go.

With any company there will be good weeks and bad weeks.

That's the nature of the business.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you don't want to deal with a goofy qualcomm I would recomend C & M Transport. Very good dispatchers keep you movin and look out for you. If you want the Qualcomm I would choose Load none I mean one. the only negative thing ive heard from their drivers is complaints about an inexperinced night dispatchers.
Call mark at C & M tell him Billy # 483 sent ya.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you don't want to deal with a goofy qualcomm .......
Call mark at C & M tell him Billy # 483 sent ya.

In orientation secretly ask the instructor if you can upgrade to the "non-goofy qualcomm."

It's $10 per month more and they like to keep it a secret.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
to make money you need to be profitable every mile the truck runs down the road, EVERY MILE.

That's an arguable point.
Your AVERAGE mile has to be profitable.

It's a fine balance of profitability and volume.

And it may just be semantics.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's an arguable point.
Your AVERAGE mile has to be profitable.

It's a fine balance of profitability and volume.

And it may just be semantics.

I think Tom left out "the most" ["to make the most money"], so you're both right.
And I too, like some downtime, esp on a weekday, when shopping, laundry, and showers can be done much quicker.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yes,the ones that run 4k and have nothing to show for it are often referred to as "bottom feeders".

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Tom left out "the most" ["to make the most money"], so you're both right.
And I too, like some downtime, esp on a weekday, when shopping, laundry, and showers can be done much quicker.

yes, i would say that would be a good addition. although, we are profitable every mile the truck runs down the road, the more miles the more profit. it is nice however, to run less and make more.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I hear load one is a good place to be at pay good keep you rolling they want 22ft box trucks now

they do their very best. load one is a carrier that doesnt just put loads on the truck just to keep you rolling. we do stay busy do to the customers they have. our rates are good. we do tend to slow up a bit when freight gets slow as we dont run cheap but all in all averages are good.