We had to leave Panther...

hino1023

Seasoned Expediter
We wanted to write this to let everyone know about why we had to make the move awsay from Panther. This is not going to be an all complaining blog, but just thought people would want to know. We came to Panther when they bought out Conway Now, who we loved working for. We had heard nothing but horror stories about Panther, but we were in a bad situation. If we would have went looking for another company at time of buyout it would have cost us a lot of money. So we decided to give Panther a chance. This proved to be a bad choice, we have been with Panther for a little over 4 months, and have added up all the days that we have sat. We have sat for over a month all together. We are a team d unit, and just bought our hino 338 2006, that comes along with 2000.00 a month payments. With Panther we can not make our bills on time, and are constantly struggling. What really broke the camels back is we just sat 8 days in mississippi, and no one would help us. So we made the switch to Fed Ex CC, and are very excited about it. If anyone has any info about Fed ex please let us know. We really tried to give Panther the benefit of the doubt, but we realized that we would lose our truck if we stayed with them, and that is a very scary thought.

hino1023

Seasoned Expediter
Also, they have a crazy pay structure, you dont get paid for your trips for three weeks. And then when you finally do get paid, they put your whole paycheck on comdata, not into your checking account. Comdata allows you to direct deposit from there, but it will not hit your bank account until tuesday, but the money disappears from comdata that same day. We just could not get ahead with this pay structure. When we do a run, we want to be paid for it the next week.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
No matter what the reason, if you do not get paid by the standards you expect or need, then it is time to move on.

Sure you can not custom form another companies pay methods to fit your needs but if what they offer does not work for you then you have to find someone that is a better fit to your needs.

I myself am now in this situation as the o/o I drive for gets his own loads. He hasn't paid me for two and a half weeks and I have to start looking around. We have tried to work it out but his money is to tight being small I just can not go any longer.

He does give me some money for food but that does not pay the bills.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Hino... I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but if you sat a week in Mississippi, your financial woes seem mostly your fault. Whether with Panther, or any other company, it's YOUR job to do something if nothing is panning out. Davekc will tell you to look for your own loads. I agree. But moreso, I say get the hell out of Dodge instead of sitting.

Regardless of how much fuel is, you have to consider one thing: When does waiting for a load cost more than moving to a more profitable location? I know I end up fearing the dh, due to fuel prices. But if the fishin hole is out of fish, I move.

No one is going to crap freight for you cause you're in a bind. You're a businessman, start acting like one. If you need some advice, ask, and you shall recieve. :)

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

hino1023

Seasoned Expediter
I hear what your saying, but we checked with them everyday asking about memmphis, chatanooga, birmingham, huntsville, nashville, and knoxville. They kept telling me that they had too many trucks there already and to stay put, since we were first out. So it is not like we werent trying to find other options. And if they have 10 trucks sitting in nashville and mephis something is not right there, they were not getting anybody out.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
By chance, will you be at FedEx orientation this Monday (Nov 13)? Diane and I will be at FedEx HQ for a few days then. While there will be lots of people at FedEx for you to chat with, Diane and I would be pleased to visit too, if you wish.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
[link:www.expeditersonline.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=133&forum=DCForumID14&omm=0|OPW]

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Music soothes the savage beast - unless it's polka.

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in the garage makes you a car

You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ACHTUNG!!! Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfuseen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
funny how this keeps turning up over and over!

good luck Hino if your not happy at fedex let me know.

you will not be sorry you desided to leave though stress leval should go down, know I'm happy I did things are looking up for a change.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not just for you but for anyone reading this, if you've been sitting for 48 hours it's time to move no matter what the dispatcher is telling you. The only exception might be if they book a load that picks up tomorrow and send it to you over the qc so you know you are running tomorrow and it's worth waiting for. Also call your team leader and get them involved in finding you something or moving you to a good area.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What the h... is OPW? That must be the blog language like "lol", which is another one of those stupid idioms. Whatever happened to English?
P.S. It is not always someone's fault for signing on with a rotten company. There are more than a few out there that carry out false advertising to hook someone in and then act like it's your fault if not successful. Seems every month there is a new expedite co. listed on here, and the freight did not undergo some explosive growth. Just less of it to go around, while all those outfits are spot-bid rate droppers... NO to cheap freight! (but I would never sit more than a day anywhere...)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
THawk read me right. Either move or find your own load. Memphis averages 5 loads a day and Nashville averages 10, with last week doing almost 20 a day. 10 trucks in an area only matters if you know the number of outbound loads. I believe you will need that skill at many other carriers as well. Sitting 8 days isn't too proactive.
Additionally, there are two more boards just north of Memphis that last week, had no trucks at them for a good part of the week.
How do I know? There was 8 trucks when I had a team unload in Marion AR, they then went to Blythville, North of Memphis and got a load that night.
Not quite sure I understand $2,000 a month on a Hino either?

Don't want to beat up on you, but your post has alot of questions in it.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
When I dropped in TN, I learned to beat feet to Milan, rather than taking a mini out of Nashville.

I can tell that Conway had a much different system than Panther. It's just a matter of learning the ropes as fast as you can. Apparently, the faster you learn, the better the opinion of Panther you're going to have.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

garman351

Expert Expediter
Hino1023
Panther & FedEx offers direct deposit to your your business checking account,or it can be put on a Comdata card. Whats your problem with that?

garman351

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
Ten

Your write on a couple of things.

But in My book FedEX beats panther Hands down.

I dont claim to be the wise man but I do know one thing

I read all the tabloids and from what I have read hmm Panther dont

look that good.

Now with that since your the wise man here say somthing to a positive

to turn the tide. FedEX like I said in my opinion and again every

one has a right to there own opinion is the Best thing going today.

Now Sir its your turn to convince me different.

Proof is in the pudding so to speak. FedEX it's self is Proof enough

for me.

Outstanding Contract Coordinators, care about ya as an individual not as another number. Get you the information you request and take care of ya peroid.

Outstanding Dispatchers, that keep ya moving and help ya with directions and information, Border crossing and working with the Brokers making sure everything is right and they keep YA Loaded.

Safety Team, Taking care of ya, Safety issues, logs, Truck and Trailer DOT Inspection Reminders. Med Card and Lic renual Reminders.
Just to name a few they do lotts more as well.

The other teams that support one as well at FedEX

Tval Team = Trailer Testing = Set up Classes Tval Test The Trailers

White Glove Class

I dont think it would be proper to mention all the classes but I Think you get the Pic.

Now what does Panther have to offer.

Like the German Shepard (Faithfull to the last till he's Kicked)

Now Sir you have a Safe one and Be Safe in your Travels and best of

luck and God Bless Ya.

Kevin

I don't claim to be perfect if I was I surely wouldn't be doing this.

are12

Expert Expediter
What in the world were you thinking-sitting for 8 days?? I am sorry to say this but if you do not learn how to make better judgement calls, you will not make it in this business! You need to learn when to move and when to sit and don't always go by what the dispatchers say or go by the empty move on the QualComm.
Dispatch can tell us we are 1st out but if that area only averages 4 loads in 5 days and we can move to an area that has 10 trucks sitting but averages 8 loads a day, we will move. If nothing else, you know you will sit for 1 day. This is only our opinion and it works for us.
Learn to talk with the other expediters out here, most of them are very helpful when trying to learn the ropes of a new company.
Wish you luck with FedEx.

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Got to love the standard response to sitting can’t you guys come up with new material?

And again what is dispatch for then if going to dispatch your own truck why pay a company a large % of the profit?

I had some good advice when I was trying to change things they won’t change as long as there’s new people out there to screw over and the advice I got was leave go some place else sooner or later you’ll find a place your happy I know I did. I make more deadhead less if get sent to a area that’s known not to have freight we charge more for relocation back to a area that way my bottom line goes up ware and tare on truck goes down and some how I’m getting more loaded miles too boot.

Alvin
2006 Hino 338
OOIDA member

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
>Ten
>
>Your write on a couple of things.
>
>But in My book FedEX beats panther Hands down.
>
>I dont claim to be the wise man but I do know one thing
>
>I read all the tabloids and from what I have read hmm
>Panther dont
>
>look that good.
>
>Now with that since your the wise man here say somthing to a
>positive
>
>to turn the tide. FedEX like I said in my opinion and
>again every
>
>one has a right to there own opinion is the Best thing going
>today.
>
>Now Sir its your turn to convince me different.
>
>Proof is in the pudding so to speak. FedEX it's self is
>Proof enough
>
>for me.
>
>Outstanding Contract Coordinators, care about ya as an
>individual not as another number. Get you the information
>you request and take care of ya peroid.
>
>Outstanding Dispatchers, that keep ya moving and help ya
>with directions and information, Border crossing and working
>with the Brokers making sure everything is right and they
>keep YA Loaded.
>
>Safety Team, Taking care of ya, Safety issues, logs, Truck
>and Trailer DOT Inspection Reminders. Med Card and Lic
>renual Reminders.
>Just to name a few they do lotts more as well.
>
>The other teams that support one as well at FedEX
>
>Tval Team = Trailer Testing = Set up Classes Tval Test The
>Trailers
>
>White Glove Class
>
>I dont think it would be proper to mention all the classes
>but I Think you get the Pic.
>
>Now what does Panther have to offer.
>
>Like the German Shepard (Faithfull to the last till he's
>Kicked)
>
>Now Sir you have a Safe one and Be Safe in your Travels and
>best of
>
>luck and God Bless Ya.
>
>Kevin
>
>I don't claim to be perfect if I was I surely wouldn't be
>doing this.
>
>
All this comming from a guy who told us how great he is for about two months. Mind telling us just how much you know first hand about anyother carriers, and while your at it give a run down on your vast trucking backround.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I don't know anything about the other carriers other than what I have heard here and from drivers I've met at the docks and truck stops. I am where I think I would like it the most but who knows. HOWEVER, life ain't just peaches and ice cream for a solo driver with FedEx either. Just this past week I was in Atlanta with 120 hours of dwell before being dispatched on Tues. (wasn't complaining cause I was at home), delivered in Asheboro, NC and deadheaded to Charlotte (no pay), arrived at 0230 Wed., still sitting there on Thursday at 1800. Planning, through my contract coordinator, told me I just needed to stay right there, good forcast for Friday. Sorry, two full working days is my mental limit. I'm at home again. Was that the right thing to do? Maybe not but that is the advantage of being an independent. It was the right thing for me even though this week is a total bust. Granted if there are many weeks like this I can't be so independent...

I cannot conceive of someone sitting for EIGHT DAYS.....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In response to message #9

Got to love the standard response to sitting can’t you guys come up with new material?

And again what is dispatch for then if going to dispatch your own truck why pay a company a large % of the profit?
=============================================================
The response is the same because the strategy works for many. You quite simply couldn't adapt and failed. That doesn't mean it fails to work for others. 15 percent to run under their authority, use their collections and insurance is reasonable. I have no clue what your version of a large percentage is?
Glad you found a good company.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator