Washing your Truck

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
What chain is the best at washing your truck and costs. Now if you are really fussy please let me know the do's and do nots. Comments on Alum tanks and rims would be appriciated. When I am at home I can do it here, but when I will be out for three weeks at a time seems like it will need to be done at least once.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Unfortunately the obvious choice is Blue Beacon! Not my favorite, but they do it quicker,faster, and generally cheaper! I always tell them no Brightener {They use ACID}! if you don't tell them they will use it on your paint, your wheels and tanks! You think it's hard on your aluminum...wait till you see what it does to your paint and graphics! Eagle washes are good...just not many to choose from. Sister's wash in California is probably one of my favorites, as they can also polish all your aluminum and stainless! Good luck and if you find a good one please let us all know!

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi, we totally agree with Glen re: the acid...don't do it. They call it "brigthener" too, I thimk. We also don't get wax as it may yellow your truck. We also always ask for a second or third rinse. We have found if we don't we have a film of soap on everything. In addition, some BB's have this citrus stuff for chrome and aluminum and we have used it. If your truck is not filthy dirty when you get it, it seems to wash and brighten the almuminum/chrome pretty good. We bought some wax/polish at a boat show last year and it works amazing...and we polish by hand....not the most fun job but it sure looks good when we are done.

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
MCBRIDE WHAT BRAND OF WAX/POLISH DID YOU GET AND IS THERE AN ADDRESS WHERE I CAN ORDER SOME? I'D LIKE TO GET A COAT OF WAX ON THE TRUCK BEFORE YOU KNOW WHAT STARTS FLYING!

I'M GETTING A POWER WASHER IN A DAY OR SO, DIDN'T WANT THAT EXPENSE BUT I FIGURE AFTER 10 WASHES IT'LL HAVE PAID FOR ITS SELF PLUS THE CLEANING AROUND THE HOME 20 IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?, AND ALL THAT WAITING AT THE TRUCK WASHES ALONG WITH A CRAPPY JOB TO BOOT REALLY STINKS!

OH THAT BRIGHTNER THEY USE IF NOT RINSED OFF YOUR MIRRORS/GLASS WILL STAIN THEM! DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THIS TYPE OF STAIN?

GOTTA GO! BE CAREFULL OUT THERE!
SHARP327:) :) :)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I recently had to buy for $875 a whole new rear roll up door due to the acid at the truck washes destroying the paint.Also having Special Forces guys yanking on door seals to get them off ruined some of the rollers.Nowadays I cut the seal myself...

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Try using baking soda with any liquid window cleaner start with a light paste and then go thicker if you need to, TEST don't do the enitire mirrior at one time, if that does not work use but TEST the new majic sponge sold in grocery stores cleaning isle. After that Polish the mirriors and on my personal vehicles I always use Rain X, plan on using it on my truck bug guts do not streak with this stuff comes right off. Look at my name and put 2+2 this was my last profession for the last 15 years. I like my stuff clean.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The stuff I used on aluminum is a mix of almost the same thing. Jewelers Rouge, rain ex, a dash of tarnex and water.
Davekc

divspec1

Expert Expediter
I don't know if they are even still in business, and if so if they have changed, but I used to go Chicago on a weekly basis back in 2001. and the Red Baron truck wash on Ripley St just north of 94 behind the Speedway fuel stop in IN used to do a heck of a job at a very fair price.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rich, I have a question. Why would you have to replace the whole door if the paint was removed? Can't the door be painted? While on the topic - how do you stop the door hardware from rusting and streaking the door?

Drive Safe.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Cargo vans need washing also. We've paid $12 more often than not, but have gone as high as $18. Red Baron and truck-o-mat when we can. The best washes ever have been at the independent across the street from the Albuquerque Flying J.

Sure beats do-it-urself with a pocketful of quarters.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our first fleet owner required us to use only Blue Beacon for truck washes and instructed us to "hold the acid" or, if acid (brightner) is to be used, cover the wheels first. Blue Beacon is probably the least expensive option for large truck (bigger than cargo vans) washes. Complaints I've heard about them include wreckless hose operators that hold the hoses so close that they blow the lettering off the truck.

Our new fleet owner gives us more latitude in selecting truck washes. We tried Truck-O-Mat once and immediately vowed to never pass through a Blue Beacon again. Here, they hand brush the truck. They start each truck out with fresh soap and water in the brush buckets. Then they run an automated brush gizmo along the full length of the truck. The hand-held hoses they use are not designed to blast the dirt off the surface of the truck. There is less pressure than Blue Beacon uses. At Truck-O-Mat the hoses are used to apply soap and rinse it off. Brushes remove the dirt. The cost is a few dollars ($5-$10) higher than Blue Beacon but for us at least, well worth the money.

I believe Truck-O-Mat is part of the I-80 group....the same company that runs the legenday I-80 truck stop and chrome shop in Iowa.