Warning, no cell phone N.J.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
Not sure if this was posted before, so take it off if it has been.

As of March 1rst.
You can no longer use your cell phone while driving in New Jersey.
You will be stopped and given a ticket.
No this did not happen to me. While talking with a N.J. Patrol Officer, this subject came up.
I wish this would become nation wide.
BIG JOHN

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Is this law for actually holding on to the phone and using it while driving or does it prohibit the use of a hands-free headset as well? There are some states that want to outlaw the use of the headsets too, which I don't agree with.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I wish this would become nation wide.
BIG JOHN

This is a very selfish statement.

on the other hand , I wish that when ever they come up with any new restriction , they will provide a solution as to how it will effect our life .
a cell phone is a work tool .
if we will be instructed to stop the truck in order to use it , we will need a safe place to park it , and more time to actually to the driving .

cell phone restriction in a commercial vehicle, have very little to do with safety , and a lot to do with getting into the trucker pocket , and yes with the ATA trying to posh big money advantages over the small business owners.

Moose.

Last edited:

broker

Seasoned Expediter
The information ATeam gave about broker giving false information, is false.:D
Too funny.

Moose, maybe I should give you the phone number of the wife who's husband was killed because a driver using her cell phone ran a red light.
Simple, if she had not been on the cell phone, my friend would still be alive and his children would still have a father.

BIG JOHN

moose

Veteran Expediter
I am truly sorry for your personal lost , i really do .
maybe i'm the only lucky one to not know anyone in person that was heart in such an accident .
i can see where you are coming from .
yet , all those recherche claiming that a cellphone users are more likely to be involved in an accident , somehow fail to mention how many of those drivers are driving a commercial vehicle for over one million mil. accident free !
(like my self , and many others out there .)
this all idea is trying to fix a problem that is not there .
a professional trucker like my self , never answer the phone in tight traffic , bad weather , construction , Ext.
the vol. is always down , i do not take notes , i slow down just a bit , scanning more often and increase the following distance ,among others .
that's every single time i'm on the phone.
we have no problem with safety when its come to a cell phone use. by professional experience truckers.
we are professionals and safe drivers , we use the phone as the # 2 work tool.
it can be address at driver training .
if you like to promote safety among commercial driver , why don't they mandate skid pad training ,
when was the last time defensive driving was mandated to get any driver license.

this is all about money .

Moose.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually, the information ATeam provided is correct, and your statement in the original post, as written, is false. You state that it's illegal to use your cell phone in New Jersey as of March 1. That's not true. You can. You just can't be holding it while you are using it.

In any case, studies have shown quite unambiguously that whether it's a hand-held cell phone or a headset, the reaction times of users is exactly that of someone who is drunk, and the accident rate is exactly the same for headsets and hand-held cell phones. One of the leading studies on this was, ironically, the State of New Jersey. So I do wonder why they wimped out with this legislation.

As for the running of the red light while on the phone, I happen to know for a fact that people ran red lights and killed people before the invention of the cell phone, so don't think that banning cell phones will put an end to that.

Here's the current listing of countries, states (and cities) where hand-held cell phone usage while driving will make you a criminal. List of countries that ban cellphone use while driving

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
whats next out lawing that annoying qc while driving.

Don't worry, your carrier if not already, will be adding instructions to your QC to where you can not use while the truck is motion. I know Panther has it already, Express-1 has it implemented. This works only on the new QC's though, if you have the old style you can still use them while in motion.

But from my understanding, they are trying to figure out how to make it work on the older QC's also.

VBobby

Seasoned Expediter
Cell phones don't kill people, people kill people.

I don't see this as a problem for professional drivers. What about the CB. It has been there for many years. Here is a list of things that could be outlawed for the same reason.

Cell phones, CBs, QCs, Sat radio receivers, AM/FM radio receivers, coffee mugs, chips etc., smokes, lighters.... you name it.

Improper use of cell phones is dangerous. As always, it's a common sense issue.

BTW, who will enforce these laws? Police. Have you noticed that they have probably a half dozen different communication devises in their cars?

One thing to remember though, get involved in a bad accident and your phone records will be subpoenaed.

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
One thing to remember though, get involved in a bad accident and your phone records will be subpoenaed.

I have a Velcro strip on the back of the cell ,
and one on the dash ,
and a blue tooth.
which make it a non hand held cellphone,

Moose.

moose

Veteran Expediter
BTW, who will enforce these laws? Police. Have you noticed that they have probably a half dozen different communication devises in their cars?.

that same issue have become totally redicilose in Minnesota last winter.
* the hannipen County police started to enforce new no idling law in town ,
at one case they wrote a ticket for a lady that remote started her Minivan at a 'any time fitness' parking lot , she tried to explain that it is not healthy to get out of the jim into a frozen car ,
the cop then invited her to the back seat of his cop car , explaining that his car is nice and toasty , so he can wright her the ticket .

* the 5 county's that make the metro area are operating 273 snow plows .
the DOT spokesman cam on TV one evening just before a big snow storm hit the tween city's .
he advise motorists to stay home Ext.
and promise that the fleet will keep on plowing the street at 12 hours shifts as long as it take !
you got it, themm supper DOT drivers can operate a complicated snow plow inches from thousand of parked cars for 12 hours strait in a bad snowy whether without blinking , when 3 million trucker will defenatly fall asleep on the wheel if driving 11.25 hours in sunny Florida.

Moose.

termite289

Expert Expediter
ok, hands free was way to complicated for me. the stupid wire kept getting tangeled in the gear shifter. i was always having to turn on the light to see what it was caught on, so i threw the darn thing away. ill continue to use my dang phone, ill just keep the calls short, and if i see an officer, ill put it down in my lap til i get passed him.
somebody stop me before i brake out the evil genius plan to take over the world with 9 hula dancers and a role of duck tape.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
The information ATeam gave about broker giving false information, is false.:D
Too funny.

Moose, maybe I should give you the phone number of the wife who's husband was killed because a driver using her cell phone ran a red light.
Simple, if she had not been on the cell phone, my friend would still be alive and his children would still have a father.

BIG JOHN

Lets see a nj.gov site is wrong about there own state laws,OK I'll buy how does that one work.

And thou I am sorry about the loss of your friend.the attempt to shame people to action with sob story's and blaming something other than the individual who was wrong has always hit me wrong.It mortifies me states have to pass laws against text messaging while driving.Why don't the states just fess up nd admit they have licensed some very unsafe drivers and take those licenses away. if the individual still want to drive after that hit them with a large fine the fist time and a super long jail time for the second offense

Reactions: 1 person

ccrider

Seasoned Expediter
I don't post here often.

I rarely have anything to say.

However, I want to point out that the law (as posted by A Team) reads as "using a hand-held communications device a primary offense". This does not state cell phones exclusively. As I read this, CBs would meet the definition as written as well as ANY hand-held communication device.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
I don't post here often.

I rarely have anything to say.

However, I want to point out that the law (as posted by A Team) reads as "using a hand-held communications device a primary offense". This does not state cell phones exclusively. As I read this, CBs would meet the definition as written as well as ANY hand-held communication device.

The actual bill has a amendment to exclude armature radio devices, which one would assume includes Cb's and SSB radios

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The actual bill has a amendment to exclude armature radio devices, which one would assume includes Cb's and SSB radios

Yeah, I picked up on that, too, so I looked up the language of the law itself. The summary on the page ATeam provided uses more common language that is aimed at the general populace, rather than using the precise language of the text of the legislation. The term "hand-held communications devices" is used in that manner to include cell phones and Blackberries, primarily, but any future little wireless gizmo that crops up, too.

Elsewhere in New Jersey State Law is where they define "amateur radio", and the broader scope of that definition includes CB's and walkie talkies and other radios.

Full text of the New Jersey hand-held device law can be found here.