War of 1812 celebration in Baltimore MD.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
June 13th to the 19th we are celebrating here Baltimore. There will be total of 48 ships, both tall and military from around the world and the Blue Angles on Saturday and Sunday, with practice runs on Thursday and Friday in the inner harbor.

The Super Walmart on Covington Point, right off IH95, will have grand stands for the air show. There is plenty of parking there for straight trucks next to the movie theater that is closed. Bus also stops there to take you to the inner harbor or Ft. McHenry.

Stuff going on all over town and the chesapeake bay including Norfolk VA.

Sorry, I don't have the web address but you can Google it for more info.

If your at the TA, bus or cab will get you to the inner harbor fairly inexpensively.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep Canada is celebrating as well....Beating back them nasty American interlopers.....LOL

Canada also emerged from the war with a heightened sense of national feeling and solidarity, having repelled multiple American invasions. Battles such as the Battle of Queenston Heights and the Battle of Crysler's Farm became iconic for Canadians. In Canada, especially Ontario, memory of the war has immense national significance, as the invasions were largely perceived by Canadians as an annexation attempt by America seeking to expand US territory. In Canada, numerous ceremonies are scheduled in 2012 to commemorate a Canadian victory

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep Canada is celebrating as well....Beating back them nasty American interlopers.....LOL

Canada also emerged from the war with a heightened sense of national feeling and solidarity, having repelled multiple American invasions. Battles such as the Battle of Queenston Heights and the Battle of Crysler's Farm became iconic for Canadians. In Canada, especially Ontario, memory of the war has immense national significance, as the invasions were largely perceived by Canadians as an annexation attempt by America seeking to expand US territory. In Canada, numerous ceremonies are scheduled in 2012 to commemorate a Canadian victory

Pride in being subjects ​of the crown. How great is that? :p

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
A very exciting day yesterday. Here at the marina, we had the best seat to watch the ship parade as they entered the Inner Harbor. 48 total of Naval ships including 10 from the US, 4 Canadian, and 1 each from Germany, England, Denmark, Norway and Japan.

Class A Tall ships from Ecuador, Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia and Columbia. Also the "Gazela" from Philadelphia, USS Constellation here in Baltimore and the USCG Barque Eagle.

A total of 12 class "B" tall ships.

All are docked and open for free tours.

Reenactments are taking place daily all over the area.

2 jumps yesterday of the US Navy Elite parachutists "Leap Frogs".

Today the Blue Angels start practice for the actual show on Saturday and Sunday. We also have the best seat here at the marina for that event.

Al Roker from the Today Show is broadcasting live from the Inner Harbor this morning on the Today Show.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pride in country I understand. Taking pride in 'being subject' to useless people who are just born into power, I don't. A 'subject' is a slave.

That's funny. The majority seem to live their lives without needlessly fearing and hating everything different from themselves. If you really think we're impacted by the Royal family in day to day life then you're very naive.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Pride in country I understand. Taking pride in 'being subject' to useless people who are just born into power, I don't. A 'subject' is a slave.

The Royals are only "figureheads" - they hold no power whatsoever.

They like to use archaic terms such as "subjects" - but it no longer applies and only the staunchest royalists would think the term holds meaning for them. We are Proud Citizens of the UK, Canada or wherever.

"Taking pride" in useless ppl doesn't just apply to Royalty y'know, I can think of a few P.M.'s and maybe a President or two hmmmmm :rolleyes:

LOL :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's funny. The majority seem to live their lives without needlessly fearing and hating everything different from themselves. If you really think we're impacted by the Royal family in day to day life then you're very naive.

No, no naive, just the difference in the mindset of our countries. Canada chose to remain 'subjects' in other words, 'ruled'. We chose freedom. We chose the idea that there is no birthright to power and that the individual is 100% in control of his destiny AND his government.

No one is better or more important than another just because they happen to be born into a certain family. I call no one 'highness' or 'majesty'. I respect all men until they do something to lose that respect. Accomplishment is important, who your parents are are not.

I have no idea what hatred you speak of. I don't 'hate' the royal family. I don't know any of them now. I did know a couple of 'minor royals' when I lived in England. Nice enough people, but useless. No function in life. They did NOTHING of value.

My 'dustman' had more value to me than they did. Except of course when they bought my flies!

Money, to me, does not equal stature, neither does who your mamma is. What you have done with your life, who you impact those around you, determines stature in my mind.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
No, no naive, just the difference in the mindset of our countries. Canada chose to remain 'subjects' in other words, 'ruled'. We chose freedom. We chose the idea that there is no birthright to power and that the individual is 100% in control of his destiny AND his government.

No one is better or more important than another just because they happen to be born into a certain family. I call no one 'highness' or 'majesty'. I respect all men until they do something to lose that respect. Accomplishment is important, who your parents are are not.

I have no idea what hatred you speak of. I don't 'hate' the royal family. I don't know any of them now. I did know a couple of 'minor royals' when I lived in England. Nice enough people, but useless. No function in life. They did NOTHING of value.

My 'dustman' had more value to me than they did. Except of course when they bought my flies!

Money, to me, does not equal stature, neither does who your mamma is. What you have done with your life, who you impact those around you, determines stature in my mind.

And so did we with the English Civil War :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And so did we with the English Civil War :)

Many I knew in England believed that. I also saw many 'bowing and scraping', paying homage to the 'highness' in front of them. First off, every 'highness' I met did not have a function in life, hard to consider them "higher" than me. Second, they did not 'earn' any respect.

I do not, however, speak of any individual, just the mindset. It is foreign to me. That mindset is what this Nation rebelled against. It is the difference in our histories.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Many I knew in England believed that. I also saw many 'bowing and scraping', paying homage to the 'highness' in front of them. First off, every 'highness' I met did not have a function in life, hard to consider them "higher" than me. Second, they did not 'earn' any respect.

I do not, however, speak of any individual, just the mindset. It is foreign to me. That mindset is what this Nation rebelled against. It is the difference in our histories.

I agree - not many ppl do undertand that, just cos there is a "Royalty" it does not mean we are not Free Citizens with a Government who TELL the Queen what she can or cannot do.

ppl who "bow and scrape" as you put it - are simply paying respect with either a nod or a curtsy....... respect for their position if nothing else, just as Im sure most ppl would nod if they were to be greeted by ....... the Pope or a President or ...... u get the picture LOL :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree - not many ppl do undertand that, just cos there is a "Royalty" it does not mean we are not Free Citizens with a Government who TELL the Queen what she can or cannot do.

ppl who "bow and scrape" as you put it - are simply paying respect with either a nod or a curtsy....... respect for their position if nothing else, just as Im sure most ppl would nod if they were to be greeted by ....... the Pope or a President or ...... u get the picture LOL :p

Our president is our EMPLOYEE, not our ruler or controller. I show basic respect to all I meet, regardless of their position. I show MORE respect to those who EARN it. I abhor paying people to be useless, be they royals or bums. I see no difference.

Again, this is nothing personal, it is just a mindset. I was fully immersed in Yorkshire culture when I lived there. I understand the things that are the same between our countries and the differences. We have similar but different histories, dreams and ideas. That goes for any country. They are all different.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Our president is our EMPLOYEE, not our ruler or controller. I show basic respect to all I meet, regardless of their position. I show MORE respect to those who EARN it. I abhor paying people to be useless, be they royals or bums. I see no difference.

Again, this is nothing personal, it is just a mindset. I was fully immersed in Yorkshire culture when I lived there. I understand the things that are the same between our countries and the differences. We have similar but different histories, dreams and ideas. That goes for any country. They are all different.

I understand and Im not getting at you either LOL - just trying to paint the real picture.

A PM is an employee too - voted by the majority and usually ousted at the next election LOL ...... well except Maggie of course ROFL

I think everyone will agree that respect is earnt and not given.

As I stated before the Royals are figureheads only - they do not rule as they did in bygone days - those days have well ....gone by LOL.

We are all proud of our Countries, where we all live in a democracy and freedom.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand and Im not getting at you either LOL - just trying to paint the real picture.

A PM is an employee too - voted by the majority and usually ousted at the next election LOL ...... well except Maggie of course ROFL

I think everyone will agree that respect is earnt and not given.

As I stated before the Royals are figureheads only - they do not rule as they did in bygone days - those days have well ....gone by LOL.

We are all proud of our Countries, where we all live in a democracy and freedom.

Did not think you were 'getting at me'! What I don't get is paying them 'royal bums' a salary. They are worth a billion or so as it is. Do they still get one? I know they did back in the 'dark ages' when I lived there! LOL!! That was WAY back in history, like the '70's! Man am I OLD! :p

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Did not think you were 'getting at me'! What I don't get is paying them 'royal bums' a salary. They are worth a billion or so as it is. Do they still get one? I know they did back in the 'dark ages' when I lived there! LOL!! That was WAY back in history, like the '70's! Man am I OLD! :p

Yes they do cos they and the pageantry are tourist attractions - but not half as much as they did.

Which is why they have opened up many palaces to the public, to raise their own funds.

The Queen had to decommission the Royal Yacht and trim back on the Royal train cos it was costing her too much.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes they do cos they and the pageantry are tourist attractions - but not half as much as they did.

Which is why they have opened up many palaces to the public, to raise their own funds.

The Queen had to decommission the Royal Yacht and trim back on the Royal train cos it was costing her too much.

Life is getting tough for them, eh? :p