War Dogs

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Iceroadtrucker posted links to dogs in the military and I thought I would add to this.

Our daughter in the military is raising a Belgian Malinois puppy to become a military working dog. Through her work with Wwitch we are learning a lot about the military working dogs.

Here is a link to a National Geographic article that also mentions the base where these dogs are raised. The article will bring a tear to your eye so be prepared.

The Dogs of War

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Here is a couple pictures of Brandy's puppy, one watching her first Hockey Game and then the other tackling the stairs. There was also a big event at the Alamo in San Antonio and her puppy was one of those featured in this YouTube

Brandy and Wwitch at work YouTube

Attachments

• IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5682.jpg
    IMG_5682.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 22

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My friend Ken, aka Big Sarge, who passed away a few months ago was a K9 handler in Vietnam. He and his dog were arguably the top team in service. He spent thousands of extra hours training and working with his dog Bear compared to many handlers. They were sent regularly to various groups to meet and demonstrate the skills and abilities of the dogs. Sometime randomly during the middle of the presentation Ken would say "Look Bear, a mouse." and Bear would yelp and run full speed, whimpering, and launch his 120 pounds at Ken who would catch him. Then it was back to work. Working dogs are getting more credit and appreciation now I think, but they've been extremely good and valuable partners, and in many cases heroes, for a long time.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Condolences on the loss of a friend - we never have so many that it doesn't matter.
I bet I would have enjoyed seeing his presentation, and I agree that dogs deserve much more credit than they get. Some are absolutely amazing, but all are heroes in one way or another.

At the family picnic yesterday, there were about a dozen dogs, everything from a Yorkie to an American bulldog [looks like a Dalmation on steroids, lol], and not one single problem from/between them. That's more than I can say for the human family members! :rolleyes:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Yes we are very proud of our Captain! We have still have not met Wwitch but we are hoping to get to the San Antonio area this summer.