wake up call

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
2:17am 7/2/10 cell phone goes ring ring,it's a text message load opportunity.Picks up on 7/6/10 at 16:00.Thanks for the wake up call.Had alarm clock set to go of at 5:30am for 9:00am pick up for all day run.Oh yeah on 7/1/10 we just completed a 22hr run,almost got a 10hr break.Was so P.Off couldn't get back to sleep!:mad:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Don't EVER lease on with Panther then. Not even on a dare. You'll be at the cons well before they are open, so you set your alarm and go to sleep. They will give you a wake up call 3 hours before your delivery, to make sure you're up and ready to roll the 400 feet to the dock.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We got beeped a 3AM yesterday for a July 6th load. It paid only ok. It does get us back east and insures a weekend off in an area where we have never spent time, we took it. At least Mrs. Layoutshooter was awake at the time, it was her time to be driving. :D

moose

Veteran Expediter
That's nothing ... yesterday i got a recorded call from a guy that presented himself as Panther CEO ,informing me of the exiting new opportunity they got for me ,and that i can press one to be connected to a standing by recruiter ...

and talking about new panther opportunity's ...
what the heck is the new platinum program ?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
That's nothing ... yesterday i got a recorded call from a guy that presented himself as Panther CEO ,informing me of the exiting new opportunity they got for me ,and that i can press one to be connected to a standing by recruiter ...

and talking about new panther opportunity's ...
what the heck is the new platinum program ?

We got that call also. There must be a recruiting drive going on.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
2:17am 7/2/10 cell phone goes ring ring,it's a text message load opportunity.Picks up on 7/6/10 at 16:00.Thanks for the wake up call.Had alarm clock set to go of at 5:30am for 9:00am pick up for all day run.Oh yeah on 7/1/10 we just completed a 22hr run,almost got a 10hr break.Was so P.Off couldn't get back to sleep!:mad:

Report that on the suggestion/comments line. VRU option 9, option 4.
We used to have that happen all the time. There are some people at FedEx who do not think that they should be doing that.

ccrider

Seasoned Expediter
We too loose sleep from these calls but what really burns me is the opportunity call in the middle of the night for an offer you had already turned down.

I jest you not! One night we had the same offer sent out every hour from about 11PM through 3AM!

I can't count how many times I have been called to respond to an offer I had flat turned down hours ago. Maybe they think that since they are catching me asleep I'll accept the exact same offer I turned down earlier. Or, perhaps they think we are getting desperate for a load and would now accept a poor offer instead of spending quality time with our pillows. Sometimes it may just be a shift change and they see a truck and a load but don't think to check earlier responses. Or maybe, just maybe, they WANT to interrupt our sleep as punishment for not accepting their crappie offer in the first place. Yes... this is the most likely reason!

Brisco

Expert Expediter
We too loose sleep from these calls but what really burns me is the opportunity call in the middle of the night for an offer you had already turned down.

I jest you not! One night we had the same offer sent out every hour from about 11PM through 3AM!

Now I have a question. Is there anything within your contract that says they (your carrier) MUST be able to get in contact with you 24 hours a day?

Using the scenario above, "on 7/1/10 we just completed a 22hr run,almost got a 10hr break", could you just inform dispatch that "Hey, we're tired, we're taking the next 12 hours off for rest" and then turn everything OFF(phones-QC-Beepers-Tin Cans-Etc) so that you are not bothered? Or is it a personal choice to keep everything on so that you may not miss that next possible 8000 mile run???

I mean, if this happens quite frequently for months, years, so on, and your rest keeps getting interrupted without a dream 8000 mile coming forth, I'd be more inclined to just tell Dispatch to Leave me Alone for the next 10-12 hours, turn EVERYTHING OFF, even placing tin foil over my QC, and getting the uninterrupted rest I want.

ccrider

Seasoned Expediter
Well, since you ask... I am not aware of anything that requires
us to stay in touch 24/7, however, we do want to respond to the offers. Yes it is our choice to be called but let's be reasonable.

Once we have said "no thank you" to an offer, it should not be sent back without some type of change, ie: rate increase.

Many times I have written out along with a refusal "WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THIS LOAD" in effort to stop it's return. This might be due to any number of reasons but I am courteous enough to say thanks for the offer but we are not interested.

This is not about accepting the good with the bad. We all see plenty of bad offers all the time. This is about courtesy.

Coming off a 1500 mile DOD DDPS or PSS we look to get some sleep but going off C-link or phone means we'd miss a dispatch for the next morning. We are always ready to respond to an offer. We just don't see the need to respond to the same offer over and over again all through the night.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
My point was,why do they need to call at that time for a load that dosn't pick up untill four day's later! we we're already pre-dispatched for a pick up on friday at 9am. A little courtesy and common sense would tell you the best time to call would have been after our 9am pick up.wouldn't dispatch want you to complete your run before taking the next?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Now I have a question. Is there anything within your contract that says they (your carrier) MUST be able to get in contact with you 24 hours a day?
Some carriers state that you cannot disconnect or disable the Qualcomm so at least they know where you (and their equipment) are. Of course, that doesn't prevent you from turning the volume on the QC down all the way. And since cell phones aren't 100% reliable, they can't expect it to be 100% reliable. But...

...Or is it a personal choice to keep everything on so that you may not miss that next possible 8000 mile run???
Ultimately, yes, because if not, they might just place you OOS.

You can always just go out of service on your own to not be bothered, but you hose your board position or dwell time when you do that. You can tell dispatch not to bother you, but they still might, so you could turn everything off, but the problem with that is, if they try to contact you, and can't, they aren't 100% positive why they can't. Shift changes and multiple dispatchers make it so that your telling them not to bother you might not make it to all the dispatcher. If they can't get ahold of you, they will usually just put you OOS, because they don't know if yer dead or what, but either way, since they're unable to get ahold of you, you're unavailable regardless, and are thus OOS.

At Panther we have the "Available Sleeping" status (and also a "34-hour restart" status for trucks), where we are still available insofar as not losing our board position while we're sleeping, and they're not supposed to bother use when we're Available Sleeping, although they sometimes do. If they're hurting for trucks they'll call, just in case we'll take it, or if there's a load picking up after we're due to come back from sleeping, they might offer if to us in case we might want it after we wake up.

But for many carriers, the only option to be truly left alone is to place yourself OOS (and with Panther, even that's not good enough sometimes :D ).

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I can't count how many times I have been called to respond to an offer I had flat turned down hours ago. Maybe they think that since they are catching me asleep I'll accept the exact same offer I turned down earlier. Or, perhaps they think we are getting desperate for a load and would now accept a poor offer instead of spending quality time with our pillows. Sometimes it may just be a shift change and they see a truck and a load but don't think to check earlier responses. Or maybe, just maybe, they WANT to interrupt our sleep as punishment for not accepting their crappie offer in the first place. Yes... this is the most likely reason!

So if you get up and answer the call are you not then "On Duty But Not Driving Status"? you are doing business of a driver...