Waiting on Hino

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
I’m hanging in there Dianne and you? Glad you getting a good deal and think you’ll be happy you got the extra goodies I didn’t will help you keep rolling. Think you’ll be happy with the truck though for sure!
Good luck
Alvin aka the can opener

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Stress? Who you think build that engine Tonka?
Hp has nothing to do with the stress an engine can take although might have a bit to do with how well ya go down the road with the load! As a Hino owner I don’t think for most loads she’s going to notice the extra weight and on the ones she does the extra $$$ is going to make up for the 15mins out of 11 hrs it might make on the trip having to slow down on 1 or 2 hills. Right now I have only had one load that I thought was having troubles making hills thought I was way overloaded but few days later was doggy on flats even new fuel filter and was back to normal. It was close to PM time any way so just had it done.

Alvin aka can opener!
in the old days we dug up worms not open cans!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Stress? Who you think build that engine Tonka?
>Hp has nothing to do with the stress an engine can take
>although might have a bit to do with how well ya go down the
>road with the load!

Yes HP has a lot to do with the stress on the engine. How much you stress the engine and driveline components determines the life of said components. Why do you think that the average life time cycle for a class 7 truck is only 500K?

Just because it drives to your standards and tackles hills without difficulty does not mean that there is not a price to be paid in the long run.

Today I have a Hino, 258 in my father’s driveway for testing. I like the a few things about it, but I think it was underpowered a bit for my liking, even with 260 HP. I got one with an Allison 2000 but drove an Eaton yesterday. I get it for a couple days and then get a Sterling if I am still in town Friday.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just a observation based on limited information. With HP at 260 and the torque pretty low (640lbs), I am just curious as to how it will perform with the truck at roughly 25,000 to 27,000lbs depending on the sleeper size?
I quess my real question is; have you driven this truck configured as you are buying it? It is alot of weight prior to ever putting a load on it.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm pretty sure it's 260/585 not 260/640, unless something has recently changed. That's what concerned me about it and part of why I went with the Sterling 8500. The other factor being a 1M mile truck vs. a 500k mile truck. The Sterling does cost about 25% more than a comparably "sleepered" Hino but has a 100% greater expected lifespan so the overall cost per mile is much less.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are correct. I don't know what it is today with me and numbers?
But you are correct, that low number would be a concern in the application that he is using it for. I would really have to drive one set up with that configuration prior to plunking down that kind of cash.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would be a little better if it was 640 but even that isn't enough I don't think. I'd have to drive one to say for sure but I just can't see running one with a lift axle and loaded to 38-40k total weight with only 260/585 or even 260/640. I'm going to be satisfied with the 350/1100 in the Sterling I think.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
EO Forum Moderator
----------

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Our team really likes it. I drove it for a short distance and was quite pleased with it. I think Jon Mosier has a great product.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I finally have time to close out this post.

Needless to say when I put up this message I was pretty frustrated, with the whole ordeal of buying a truck. My truck was delivered in late Sept. I went through orientatation with FECC and they had a load on us as soon as we punched "In Service" and have been running hard since.

As for my Experience with Churneys Truck Center, other than being way late with delivery, they treated me fairly. After delivery I had an issue with the exhaust and thier service man bent over backwards to fix it to my satisfaction. After having spent some time comparing my Churneys Truck with a Alumabunk truck, I am glad I decided on Churneys. I have a 96" AA (non-condo) sleeper, 22' foot box, 190 gal
fuel capacity, Pro-Heat GenSet, and an automatic tranny.

I have put 23,000+ miles on the truck since I picked it up. I have driven as fast as 75 mph cruised at 70 when legal but moast of the time drive between 60 and 65. I average between 8.25 and 8.80 mpg.
The first couple fill ups were really low mpgs but at about 8k miles or so we got the #'s in the 8's. This is with stock gearing.

Our truck weighs about 21k with full fuel tanks and both drivers, so were a little heavy for a D unit and have had to make a couple of trips in Scale Avoidance Mode.

As for climbing hills we seldom drop below 55 and have almost never had to down shift. The few times we had to down shift we were loaded with 7500+ lbs even so we were still passing semis. I am satisfied with the hill climbing performance I see it as a non-issue. We also have plenty of freeway merging power.

Even with a Scale Avoiding 13K load in the truck I was happy with the country road performance of the truck.

After seeing my Churneys truck parked next to other Exp. turcks were are happy with the vehicle they built for us. They put some nice features on the truck whick I didn't realise would be there and as a consequence made thier truck a better value for almost equal money.

The extra's were,

Heavy Duty DOT bar (The sturdiest I have ever seen)
Aluminum Light Skirt ( Looks Nice)
Susp. Dump ( Use it all the time )
Air Ride Drivers Seat is much nicer than I expected.

Things I recomend, (Hind Site)

Get the 4 battery upgrade (Availble from Factory)
Get Spot Light installed
Get an extra Cigarette outlet put in upfront.
Backing Camera

All in All I'm happy with our truck and I would do bussiness with Churneys again.

Thanks for reading

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Get a set of aluminum wheels and you might be able to run legally.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank you for your update. It is nice to hear you are happy and things worked out well for you. Thank you for the Hino drivability report too. I'm seeing more and more Hino expditers on the road. Please keep readers posted. Interest is clearly growing in these trucks.

About your comment that your truck is a little heavy for a D unit, your weight sounds light to me. Our CR unit weighs 34,000 lbs with no freight on board. Not an issue one way or another, just giving a number to compare.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
To me the Hino's HP and torque ratings sound right on par with the first FL70 I owned, it weighed in at 18,200 empty and could haul the ligitimate 13k D unit weight. The engine was a Cummins 8.3, which was a well made in frame rebuildable engine. I don't know if the Toyota built engine falls in to that category, but I'm going to guess it is in the line of the MBE900 Mercedes engine that is parent bored. The rest of the Hino truck chassis from what I understand are typical American components from Eaton or Meritor.

Point being the Hino component wise looks to be a truck right on par with a Freightliner M2, other than it has waiting list and premium price. I've been around for a while and have not seen any instances where Toyota has built what is considered a premium, long lasting diesel for the truck market. Nissan, Mitsubishi, Iveco, Renault, and many others have tried, but with no success. I just think buyers are a bit nutty spending that much money for a name when for a few more bucks ponied up can get you in to a class 8 real highway truck. There is simply no comparison with the cost issue-- at 500k miles a class 8 is just broken in where a class 7 job is nearing its end.

I just traded my FL106, my second expediter truck, in on a new FL Columbia expediter, and was pleased to see old basically class 8 FL106 had great trade equity with 700k on the clock. The return on my first class 7 FL70 was next to zip. I'm in to new class 8 road ready Columbia D unit for $85k with my good condition trade.

Mudflap

rollybil

Expert Expediter
I own a 2006 Hino and I would strongly suggest that one not buy this truck for expediting. I have had it on the road for six months and I would say it has been in the shop for repairs for 6 weeks. Between losing money on down time and paying drivers for there motel it is a loser truck.

rollybil

Expert Expediter
My advice to you would be to lose the deposit and run from the Hino. The Hino truck is just not built tough for expediting. I know I have one, and it is broke down more than it is on the road. The problems that I have had with this truck are countless. To many to list.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
This coincides with everything I have been thinking all along about the Hino trucks. It's nothing more than a Freightliner M2 or International 4300 city truck chassis set up for expediting, but with a high price tag as it's associated with the Toyota name. I had a new driver prospect contact me inqiring about a fleet owner with a new D unit Hino straight truck claiming it got over 20 MPG. Without even flinching or doing an ounce of research, I replied to the driver the the owner was full of BS and told him to ask the owner for proof of that statement. Proof was never provided, of course.

Again, I'm not saying the Hino is any more or less than an M2 or 4300, but for those who shell out 90K+ for any of those class 7 city truck expediters I think you are wasting your money, and I would certainly never get on a waiting list for any of them. Mudflap

garman351

Expert Expediter
(Easytrader)
Remember we were talking back & forth about the new Hinos and sleepers etc. I ended-up buying my new Hinny from Interstate Trucks because they gave me what I wanted for my trade-in and we went with the same sleeper you have the 96in AA "We love it" Did Churneys put the 342 gears in your unit? Interstate would only put in 373 in ours and we do not mind it runs 2100 at 65 Mph going up big hills is not a problem for us.

How is that Proheat working for you?

Its good to hear from you.
Garman351