Waiting on Hino

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I ordered a Hino from Churneys, I think I was overcharged by the tune of about 10k, however I am mostly concerned about the fact that the truck was promissed for delivery the 1rst week of August and as of today, it still isn't ready.

Now I'm stuck because they have my deposit and are in another state. So we'll see on monday if the are finally done or not.

Has anyone else had problems with churneys?

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
I looked into Churney's and wound up in TX at Rush Truck Center, for everything I ordered, they came in 20K cheaper and less interest on the loan. Depending on how much of a deposit you put down, it may be in your best interest to let it go and save a lot more money. Good Luck!!

garman351

Expert Expediter
EXP10YRS:
I contacted your Texas truck dealer and talked to Tony and she will be giving me a quote today.

She told me the interest rate is 5.1/4% rate compared to other Hino dealers telling me 7.3/4% is the best interest rate available from Toyoto. Either the previous dealers are trying to make extra money off me or this Texas dealer is a bigger company and Toyoto has a special rate just for this dealer?

Still searching for that fair deal.

garman351

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Garman, I do not know if they have special deals with financing as opposed to other dealers but heard they are the largest Hino dealer in the nation, and she offered me several financing options whereas the other dealer in Cleveland, only offered one from Toyota and never mentioned other options. I compared apples to apples and spect'd the truck the same with both dealerships and she came in 20k less for exactly the same options! So good luck to you! :+ THe biggest difference was in the sleeper, and the box and refer.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Exp10yrs:
You are dead on, thank you for sending me in the right direction!!!

Something is wrong when other Hino dealers do not offer you the same financing offerings that Rush does!

Toni:
I asked her a couple of questions about sleepers & alternative heat & cool units. Toni told me I can only do & know so much. I will have the actual vender who sells the sleeper & Thermoking to call you direct to spec out what you want and they will let me know what you want so we can put this deal together. (I was very impressed) Also I was contacted by them in a very short amount of time.

A big dealer does not need to play nickel & dime games and Toni tells you straigh-up with the confidense of knowing she makes things happen.

It really pays to use this very fine service (Expediters on line) Is offering to the,"unsung heroes who keep this country running 24 hours a day through sleet/snow, and traffic and being away from home most of the time!

I salute every one of you! We have our differences but, you will never find any better quality of People at a truck stop who is willing to talk to you and share all those wonderful story's while with a little saddness in their heart knowing they cannot wait to get back home.

garman351

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Garman, good luck!! Toni is very knowledgeable in many things and if she doesn't know, like you said, she'll put you in contact with someone who does. I spoke with Gregg at Weldon Sleepers in Fort Worth for my order and he was also very nice and very helpful and willing to do anything I asked and came in at a very good price. I think that is the main co Rush Trucks uses. Hope it all works out good for you!:)

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
>Exp10yrs:
>You are dead on, thank you for sending me in the right
>direction!!!
>
>Something is wrong when other Hino dealers do not offer you
>the same financing offerings that Rush does!
>
>Toni:
>I asked her a couple of questions about sleepers &
>alternative heat & cool units. Toni told me I can only do &
>know so much. I will have the actual vender who sells the
>sleeper & Thermoking to call you direct to spec out what you
>want and they will let me know what you want so we can put
>this deal together. (I was very impressed) Also I was
>contacted by them in a very short amount of time.
>
>A big dealer does not need to play nickel & dime games and
>Toni tells you straigh-up with the confidense of knowing she
>makes things happen.
>
>It really pays to use this very fine service (Expediters on
>line) Is offering to the,"unsung heroes who keep this
>country running 24 hours a day through sleet/snow, and
>traffic and being away from home most of the time!
>
>I salute every one of you! We have our differences but, you
>will never find any better quality of People at a truck stop
>who is willing to talk to you and share all those wonderful
>story's while with a little saddness in their heart knowing
>they cannot wait PS I agree!! EO is a great forum for info and just to vent or talk....Thanks EO!!

garman351

Expert Expediter
Rush enterprises, out of Texas was my (Highest Proposal) I have seen so far. Their sleeper builder did not return a couple of emails I sent over to them??

I guess they are not to worried about my business it appears!

Rush came out of the gate better than other dealers than fadded away.

garman351
:-( :-(

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I talked to Rush and they came in 8K less than Churney. I don't think I want to wait another 60 days - I need a truck. If Churneys doesn't come through I think I'm just going to buy a Sterling. The toyota financing is nice but if you can't get a truck built in a timly manner so what.

My truck should be getting the box put on tuesday. Then Churneys has to switch out the fuel tanks because I wanted 2 95 gallon tanks instead of 2 55 gallon tanks.

They sent me the paperwork by Fedex on Fri - and the amounts are wrong on the finance paperwork - so. . .

It's just one thing after another. I had no idea it would be such a pain in the rear to buy a truck. Its almost like there are so many new expedite truck buyers out there nobody cares about good service.

I sold cars for 2 years and in the car bussiness you fight to hold a customer, the commercial truck people don't seem to care whether you buy from them or not.

Like I said in the beginning of this fiasco I wasn't grinding on price
I wanted a Hino in a timly manner.

I will say that Rush was the only dealer that gave me an actual breakdown of how the truck would be equiped and exactly what they were going to charge for each option. Everbody else seems real vague about what is on the truck.

It would be funny if it was happening to someone else.

:)

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
I don’t live in Ohio either but where does most the expedited freight come out of? Buying a truck from out of the expedite area your going to eventually have issues in my experience except the dealer network for Hino is great. Have not though gotten the service I get from Churney’s they have really saved my butt first when I got my new Hino for once I had a little luck they had one in stock ready to go! I do know they had some troubles early on with one sleeper manufacture they was higher priced lower quality than the ones they are now dealing with like my truck cost 10k more than current models with more stuff. But like I said they have been real good to me and care if I make money or not! How many dealers you know that do that 4 months down the road knowing you’re a 1 truck fleet kinda guy? There service manager had many times helped me out when he didn’t have to just to answer stupid questions so go where ever you want but I’d stick with the Hino for sure but don’t give up on Churney’s just yet.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
What in the world would be the fascination with Hino trucks here? MHO?? Underpowered and overpriced. Denny

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
underpowered compared to what? A 500hp cat?
I owned a 99 international with a dt466 275hp and 820ft pounds of torque with a 9sp, I drove for a while a 05 freight shaker m2 what a dog it had a 300hp Mercedes and a 6sp.
The international nickeled and dimed me to death dealer network was way unreliable fix it in Ohio and refix in Florida down the road. And could not hear your self think going down the road let alone some one on the phone or even in the passengers seat.
The m2? Oh boy where to start just glad I didn’t buy it road worse than any thing, even a old school bus in the far back seat is smother Florida roads felt like Michigan roads and it had the upgraded seats.
My hino has 260 hp with Allison auto it will blow the doors off of a m2 with a 300hp Mercedes off the line and down the road and with better mpg.
If you haven’t drove one you don’t know what the fascination would be I guess!

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
You are right I have not drove one. I have not owned a smaller 7 class truck since an FL70 with 250 HP. Everything will break down eventually. Yes even a Toyota engine. Who is going to fix that on a long lonely desert highway a few years from now? Umm, lets safely say nobody but the hook on the tow truck.

265 HP and can blow another truck off the line. OK. These are highway trucks, not drag racers so that point is moot for expediting.

It's in my opinion another Isuzu, Mitsu, Iveco, etc. They have been trying for decades to capture a share of the market, and really none have succeded over the long haul.

If the Hino becomes a world renowned 7 class winner for long haul expediting once time proven, stick a bag of gummy bears down my throat and choke me. Thus far, no truck has won that category opposed to a real highway truck made for the job. Just not worht the wait or spending extra money for in my opinion- spend a few extra bucks and get the city delivery trucks out of expediting. Denny

tazman

Expert Expediter
I sell trucks...and am not counting these guys out at all !!!!

They have a very, very,good product and have very deep pockets in Toyota....
I've tested the units along side Freights and Internationals....
and they have some small issues but are determined to correct them.
You have do draw a distinction in the class of units as well...Isuzu/GM still sell the most low-cab-forward units out there...and they pretty much have "smoked" the Ford offering...Mitsu and UD have a small market share...but not enough to make waves...So Hino is playing in 2 different markets...(class 5-7 and class 8)and again has a good steady plan.....

In fact, several large (500+ LTL fleets...here in the East) are about ready to switch over to these trucks as day cab units .....Also I understand that Mr. Penske (in Roger racing fame and Hertz/Penske) has a large stake in the HINO operation in the US..If his fleet goes in that direction....service will NOT be the issue anywhere !!!

Anyway like all companies...they have to work out some "kinks"...but since I don't sell this brand...I'm getting a little concerned...
Just ask this question....When have you ever seen Toyota fail in a vehicle line (cars to forklifts)..????

Just keeping the conversation lively...

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East":+

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
I hear you Frank, Toyota makes great products. So have Nissan (UD), Mitsu, International and all the others really. Heck, Rich on the forums here got nearly 900k from an unrebuilt FL70, can't complain about that.

Maybe my point is that to build up one of the class 7 trucks for expediting with a big sleeper and goodies will cost anywhere from $70-90k or more. They are all really only rated as 500k mile trucks, they have low HP, and are built on a city truck platform.

Now, say spend a bit more for a nice 8 class truck, say $110-120k. Now you have a 1 million mile truck, with adequate power, resale value, comfort, chassis built for the highway, parts and service basically everywhere, etc. My thought is that the Toyota name with the Hinos is giving some false senses that because it's Toyota it will last forever and give no problems. Only time will tell if that is the case. Me I would rather not take the gamble and spend a few more piastres on an 8 class unit than extra money on a big plastic "H" on the grille of a truck, but to each his own I guess. Denny

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Dark, I went to Churney's and they came in with a price 20K higher than Rush Trucking did. I therefore went to Rush. And am happy. I understand a smaller dealer cannot get the incentives that very large dealerships can. I understand once you get the Hino, there is a nationwide network that will work on them. I have also heard, (for the fellow that wants a Hino and cannot get one) that Rush has bought up all the avail 07 Hino's available and there will not be any until spring now. That could be why he was told he has to wait. How are you doing in your Hino Dark? I think I met you at the truck show in Aug. Take care:*

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Garman, which sleeper co didn't return your call or email? I am working with Weldon sleepers out of Ft Worth, they've been very accomodating so far..... sorry for your trouble:(

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
I’m doing great with my hino and the service at other dealers is fantastic I had a unsual problem with mine only 2 hino’s mine being #2 having a computer take a burp. The only bad thing about it being the second one is they had to fly a factory rep out to check it out and took a few more days than it should of to take care of it but was treated very well.
When you say 20k less is it apples to apples or apples to mangos? Sleeper/box and accessories? Not that the alumi-bunk 22ft box is a champ it does cost more than a Morgan, which is my opinion better box!
And also noticed at the expo the truck they had there was cheaper than I paid for mine with more goodies. When I got my truck I was broke down stranded Churney’s had the truck ready to go down the road and towed my truck which needed repaired to there lot gave me a fair trade-in and put me up in a motel till all the paperwork was done. And have since stood behind me with other issues not hino related at all. Worth 20k maybe not but like I said are you getting the same stuff?
The same hino as I own can buy @ 30k less with a AA sleeper on and is maybe better sleeper than mine but can’t turn back the clock.
And yupp it was me you met at the expo!
Ttyl
Alvin

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Alvin, how are ya? I compared apples and apples, and was still way ahead with Rush. In fact the box is a Hercules, refer box and that is top of the line compared to a Morgan which is what the "other" guy spec'd out. So we are happy with the choice. With the extra $ saved, we are adding a lift gate and a tag axle and still are under the orig. quote from the "other" guy!! We also added new seats and a few other odd's and ends. I wasn't quoted a bunk from Alumibunk, neither dealer will deal with them because they are way over priced, and already having an alumibunk bunk, I know they are not as good of quality as other bunk makers. I had to replace all of the switches in the bunk and one on the console with in one year of owning it! Hope you are doing well. Take care, ;)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A reefer,tag and liftgate is alot of weight. At 260 hp I would wonder if that engine could take that kind of stress?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator