Waiting at truck stops?

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Do most people now wait at places other than truck stops? When I had my D unit years ago, I didn't spend a lot of time at them, but they seem worse today then 11 years ago. I hated the fast food type ones (Pilot/Loves etc..) then, and they are more prevalent now.

Need to go there for fuel and showers, maybe a little social interaction, but for actual sitting and waiting time, are lots of Expediters still hanging out at truck stops?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
For the most part, we still wait at truck stops. We're pretty much self contained, but it's still convenient for showers, laundry etc.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
When I was on the road I used to see expediters all the time closed up in the truck waiting. Alot of them you would never see outside of the truck. I never could just sit in the truck for an extended period of time unless I was running. I need some interaction with other people regardless of the conversation having some helps time go by a little faster.

Hawkeye

Seasoned Expediter
I am currently at a Wal-Mart waiting for my next load. I prefer the truck stops for the same reason: social interaction. It is becoming harder to sit at Wal-Mart, seeing that they don't want us there. Friday night I went to a Wal-Mart and parked; the local truck stop was not in the greatest of neighborhoods. As soon as I parked, the security guard patrolling the lot came up to me and asked how long did I plan to be there. I told him that I was waiting for my next load and it would probably be Monday before I left. He told me that there was a two hour time limit then I had to leave. This is becoming more common.

When I was in Mechanicsburg, PA, I watched the local tow company boot and tow every ST and TT that parked in the lot. The fees were $100/boot, $1000/tractor and $1000/trailer.

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i always ask the on-duty manager then find the security car and tell them so and so said i was good.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I am currently at a Wal-Mart waiting for my next load. I prefer the truck stops for the same reason: social interaction. It is becoming harder to sit at Wal-Mart, seeing that they don't want us there. Friday night I went to a Wal-Mart and parked; the local truck stop was not in the greatest of neighborhoods. As soon as I parked, the security guard patrolling the lot came up to me and asked how long did I plan to be there. I told him that I was waiting for my next load and it would probably be Monday before I left. He told me that there was a two hour time limit then I had to leave. This is becoming more common.

When I was in Mechanicsburg, PA, I watched the local tow company boot and tow every ST and TT that parked in the lot. The fees were $100/boot, $1000/tractor and $1000/trailer.

I forget now where it was but I read of one WalMart manager calling the local police to come out and ticket every truck on the lot . They did - including 2 Walmart trucks .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And Yet some Walmarts have designated parking areas for RV's??

For them to have signage there must be some corporate policy to approve the expense of them signs.

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah, I'm getting really sick of truck stops. Outside of the convenience of showers and laundry, there's really not much to do or see.

A-Team said at one time that they are able to go places that TT's just can't go, like State Parks, etc. But, I just can't figure out how you would be able to get to a State Park in a D-Truck without getting a ticket for going on a non-truck route. Imagine, a campground instead of a truck stop. :rolleyes:

Has anyone else gone to State or National Parks in their straight trucks, or do you rent a car?

Last weekend we were 100 miles from Yellowstone and I would have liked to go since we were in the neighborhood, but didn't want to risk the hastle.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Its Very sad that Wally Worlds Wall Mart dont want us there in there lots.
I will buy my groceries there but not stay. Petros make good places to run and work out and they also seem to have the best Salad Bars. The Flying J have the Best Internet Showers but a wait and a killer Taco salad. Pilots Loves all got the quick foods Hot dogs or Arbys or Hardies ect but what I have found no were can u get a meal less than 10 bucks inc tip with the exception of the Jack in the Box. Or McDonalds dollar menu but then who wants either of them every meal. Not me. I dig the Waffel House but not every day.
:)

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
HA IM AT A TRUCK STOP NOW........... heh ..
go figure...... lol
im here in Pa near harrisburge.... off i70 ext 161 at the gateway TA .. even has a ahhh DQ in it.... which is bad or me... cause im a sucker for them blizzards.. lol

ok i heard from someone i should try KOA camp grounds...... anyone hear of that??

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Many intresting people to meet. Right Linda.

Why just last week, Lola, or broke back crossed my path.

So watch out for CFI driver, pressed button down shirt, N.M. string tie, shinny Cowboy Boots and of course the tan hat. Last guy in the world one would expect to be OK, Gay. How do I know for sure? I peed him off so bad after I turned down his offer he urinated on the trailers tandems. So what did he do on his quest for company, tried pulling you know what out but only pulled his underpants out of his ZIPPER.

So now your laughing, well so am I. How sick are these sickies? Heck if he would have just asked I could have saved him the humilation and aggrivation NO NO WAY, can we say HOMO Fob? And some wonder how I could be so negative towrds this act, I do not hate gays, only ones who do not have the commonsense to leave those that are straight alone. So watch out for CFI and Tex.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We stayed at a KOA in Chino California for 4 days. I called to make reservations, and described our "vehicle". You could hear the confusion on the other end. LOL When we arrived, they knew who we were and were fascinated by our "freight capable RV". It was a great stay!

Oh yeah, the campground even had rental cars on site. I don't know if all of them have them available but this one did. We rented a car, and went to see the surrounding area.